U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:05 PM
 
199 posts, read 36,174 times
Reputation: 86
More prisons and prison time is too reactionary. We need to nip it in the bud and if people can't raise their kids right or do right they need hot lead in them. It's about protecting yourself and your family. Not being a vigilante.


I don't care what happens to a thief, kidnapper, murderer or rapist after a shoot them for f**cking with me and mine. I live a honest life not hurting or stealing from anybody and I'm sick of living in fear from sociopaths who could give a d*mn. Someone trying to take your car; blow his balls off. Some trying to break into your home blow his head off. The world doesn't need him. He is the scum of the earth.

 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 PM
 
2,812 posts, read 2,282,969 times
Reputation: 1222
Here's my solution: stop wasting time and resources going after people dealing dope, and start cracking down HARD on the people who commit crimes with tangible victims, particularly robbery, rape, and assault.
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 1,634,773 times
Reputation: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Here's my solution: stop wasting time and resources going after people dealing dope, and start cracking down HARD on the people who commit crimes with tangible victims, particularly robbery, rape, and assault.

The people who do these crimes tend to overlap.

Kai Franklin/Tremayne Graham/BMF, Google it.
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,209 posts, read 2,770,000 times
Reputation: 1415
Dudes seems to be coming from an emotional place. An emotional male will always be looked down upon in this society. Seriously Ive said this many times, being a criminal in Atlanta is so easy because of the demographics. Its like I can just go out rob someone in Buckhead & return to East Point with no problem. Crime in Atlanta is easy. They really should unify the small police forces in the metro.
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,572 posts, read 1,304,035 times
Reputation: 5135
Lightbulb Spot-On Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
There is, but unfortunately the "no more taxes" crowd would never allow the alternative to happen.

Alternative:

Step 1: Start charging anyone who commits a crime that involves weapons use as an adult from the age of 13 and up. Robbery while holding/using a weapon, having a weapon on your person if breaking into a home, etc. If you're old enough to carry it (and in some cases, use it), you're old enough to be charged and tried as an adult.

Step 2: Anyone 13 and older who uses a weapon in a crime to intimidate a victim (without actually using the weapon on the victim) automatically gets 20 years in prison without parole or any early release options. If they use the weapon to harm the victim, 40 years in prison without parole. If they kill the victim, the death penalty or life without parole. No exceptions.

Step 3 (the kicker): Increase taxes to fund the building of (many) more prisons to house those who are charged/sentenced under the new laws. Prisons without recreation/weight rooms, internet access, and cable TV.


Step 3 is what would cause the alternative to fail. People do want harsher punishments for criminals, and they do want to see criminals locked up for longer periods of time. They just don't want to pay for it.
LOL...I'm gonna use an analogy from a favoriter movie of mine ("Lawman"-1970-Burt Lancaster) to further illustrate your point

In the movie, Burt is a somewhat relentless, take-no-s**t-or prisoners, old-school lawman, who comes to a town to arrest some guys who shot up HIS town...the Town Council is all gung-ho at first, but then weasels out, and actually tries to backshoot Burt!

How does this fit? In a speech near the end of the movie, Burt says:

"You want the law to do its' job, but you want it to walk soft, with no bloodshed, and not burn a hole in your pockets, so you can sleep well at night, thinkin' you're proper upright citizens...well, those [SOB'S] shot up my town, and killed somone doin' it, and they're goin' back to stand trial...and they're gonna do it either sittin' up in the saddle, or tied in a burlap sack across it...and I'll bury anyone who gets in my way---whether it's one a'them or one'a you...your call..."

To your point...sounds like some folk down your way are behaving exactly like those good 'gentlemen' that Burt was addressing...everybody wants to play hard-a** and yell 'put 'em away for life!' but when it comes to ponying up and actually trying to get the necessary prison space built, the old saw about 'who's gonna pay for it?' always rears its' ugly head...and that's the sad part, because your point number 3 is just about what needs to happen...
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Athens, GA
355 posts, read 454,755 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
There is, but unfortunately the "no more taxes" crowd would never allow the alternative to happen.
News flash: the "no more taxes crowd" knows that the fact is that taxes are high enough already and if the tax money was not wasted there would be more than enough to go around.

Why build more prisons? We already imprison more of our population than any other first world country.

How about ending the joke of a "drug war", the drug prohibition that DOES NOT WORK, and then you will have plenty of cops, courts and cells to handle the real criminals.

Why do we have drug prohibition?
1) To control the population.
2) To make huge profits from the "war on drugs".
3) So the Gov can consolidate power.
4) To put minorities behind bars.
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,209 posts, read 2,770,000 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur;19670
888
Check your facts. Ed Schultz is a lousy journalist and a fool, and what you scrape off the bottom of your shoe is worth more than a day's worth of MSNBC.

Wonder how many new listeners I have today | Nealz Nuze | www.boortz.com
Well of course there was some chopping & editing in what was put out at first. Do you agree with the unedited comments?
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,572 posts, read 1,304,035 times
Reputation: 5135
Lightbulb And Then...We Have The OTHER End Of It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
More prisons and prison time is too reactionary. We need to nip it in the bud and if people can't raise their kids right or do right they need hot lead in them. It's about protecting yourself and your family. Not being a vigilante.


I don't care what happens to a thief, kidnapper, murderer or rapist after a shoot them for f**cking with me and mine. I live a honest life not hurting or stealing from anybody and I'm sick of living in fear from sociopaths who could give a d*mn. Someone trying to take your car; blow his balls off. Some trying to break into your home blow his head off. The world doesn't need him. He is the scum of the earth.
You go right ahead and start busting caps in people, Mr Armchair Bada**...I'M sick of people swelling up and acting bad and yammering on about 'I'm gonna get my ******* gun, and blow somebody's (fill in the body part) off...yessir!'

What happens when you start a-blastin', and accidentally hurt or kill an innocent bystander, or family member?

Or if, in court, the jury decides that you may have violated a state law or 'castle doctrine' about to what level you can defend yourself and your home, or if it was determined that you acted in rage and not in reason, and 'blew somebody's balls off', and YOU get sent to the joint for a stretch?

And before anyone gets up in arms, hell no, I am NOT defending the freaking criminals...just not wanting to have anyone feel like they're living in Dodge City...

Prisons and prison time are NOT reactionary...'they need hot lead in them!'---what the heck are you thinking? Everything ain't solved by grabbing a pistol or throwing a beatdown on somebody...
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:32 PM
 
199 posts, read 36,174 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post
News flash: the "no more taxes crowd" knows that the fact is that taxes are high enough already and if the tax money was not wasted there would be more than enough to go around.

Why build more prisons? We already imprison more of our population than any other first world country.

How about ending the joke of a "drug war", the drug prohibition that DOES NOT WORK, and then you will have plenty of cops, courts and cells to handle the real criminals.

Why do we have drug prohibition?
1) To control the population.
2) To make huge profits from the "war on drugs".
3) So the Gov can consolidate power.
4) To put minorities behind bars.
Thank you. Drug prohibition is a big cause of this.
 
Old 06-20-2011, 02:36 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,209 posts, read 2,770,000 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Especially the part about 'the slippery slope between self-protection and the Wild West'...where do you draw the line---and how?

I had a chance to listen to at least part of the Boortz soundbite on (don't flog me, y'all LOL) The Ed Schultz show, and regardless of what folk think of his 'journalistic talent', what I and my wife heard was downright scary...

As a black man, too many folk think sometimes that when black folk are involved in criminal/illegal/violent activity, that the rest of us are somewhere silently cheering them on (yeah bruh!...go 'head and stick it to Whitey!)...are they f*****g kidding with that nonsense? I live in the real world, and them doing dumb stuff on a consistent basis A) casts unnecessary aspersions on those of us who choose to live quiet, law-abiding lives, and B) cuts short any meaningful dialogue, because out come the stereotypes...

I can't count the number of times, in this forum (Atlanta) alone, that I've seen good, well-intentioned threads get derailed because folks start barking at each other, instead of trying to talk without each successive post getting more and more heated...

And to stay on topic here, another poster upthread suggested 'we know what he (Boortz) means when he says 'urban''---very true, but the mere fact that he, in his zeal, was actually calling for people to basically be shot dead, no matter what label he used/uses, is bordering on utter madness...there has GOT to be a way to quell that problem in Atlanta without suggesting that everybody become some armed hot-headed vigilante...I don't have an ounce of sympathy for the criminals, but I do fear for the innocents who might get hurt if someone decides to take Mr Boortz up on his 'offer'...
I cant give you anymore rep point, but the reality of it is many blacks do Cheer for & make excuses for black criminals. We have a few black members here who even do it. Theyll tell you "you are a black man who sees yourself though the white mans eyes" just because you live right & dont want to be affiliated with low life blacks. I feel what you mean though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top