Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:37 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
So is sexual abuse against children a "white problem"? Is this a dysfunction in "white culture" that the "white community" needs to address? If you're a white person, what have you done lately to address the plague of child molestation infecting the white community?
Interesting. Either it's a white problem, or other races are doing a better job at preventing it. I do wonder if any subpopulations of the total white population have greater tendencies for such action (age, ethnic backgrounds, class, etc.), but it's an interesting (and disturbing, IMO) stat nevertheless.

What have I done lately? I don't have kids. No kids, no targets.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:02 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Neither of those stats really proves it to me. 70% is roughly the percentage of the population that is white in this country, so the fact that the inmate population of child molesters is 70% white isn't too shocking to me. Also, if white people tend to commit fewer crimes overall than black people do overall but have the same rate of child molestation, white prisoners will disproportionately be child molesters. Furthermore, child molestation is frequently (alas, usually) not reported or brought to justice, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn this is especially true in poorer communities.

These statistics could support the idea that the white community suffers a lot more child abuse than other communities, but it doesn't prove the idea.

Not that I care whatsoever which races tend to commit which crimes. This is merely another lesson is how ridiculously hard it is to address these issues fully with statistics. Which happens to make it really easy for folks like vdare to twist statistics into support for their crackpot arguments used to advance an agenda of hatred.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:05 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Not that I care whatsoever which races tend to commit which crimes. This is merely another lesson is how ridiculously hard it is to address these issues fully with statistics. Which happens to make it really easy for folks like vdare to twist statistics into support for their crackpot arguments used to advance an agenda of hatred.
I happen to completely agree with you, and would suggest that the only thing it demonstrates is that we shouldn't use statistics to "prove" that their skin color causes criminals to commit crimes, or that crimes committed by criminals should be the responsibility of those who share their skin color.

ETA: To your comment on the statistics, I'd just point out that the 70% figure was based on the inmate population -- not the population of the U.S. as a whole -- and the inmate population in this country is 70% non-white.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:42 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've got no respect for VDARE. As a Black person, I find it highly repugnant that someone might suggest that someone would try to argue that the genes of Black people are somehow messed up and therefore, "naturally prone" to be violent.
In order to quiet the haters, blacks HAVE to stop proving the haters RIGHT. Its really that simple. People have to stop messing up all the time & then get upset when others question what they are doing in life. Stop proving people right & they will have nothing to say.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I listen to Boortz now and again when the regular local talk radio host is off. He's interchangeable with Lars Larsen in the third tier conservative talk radio sphere. If one of them wasn't in the picture Ed Schultz would still be a conservative, he's almost up to their level.
He was 100% right. Those urban flash mobs are getting out of hand and having somebody do a Bernard Goetz on them would probably go a long way to stop that idiotic violence and knuckle dragging thuggery. I didn't see anything racist in what he said, the mobs just happen to be mostly black. If white mobs start springing up they need the same treatment.
Good post! Ive never heard of this host prior to hearing people get all angry & political about it. Whats the difference between this thread & SOTG thread? People having problems with the same issue.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:05 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
In order to quiet the haters, blacks HAVE to stop proving the haters RIGHT. Its really that simple. People have to stop messing up all the time & then get upset when others question what they are doing in life. Stop proving people right & they will have nothing to say.
Well, this sounds like a reasonable message, but there is one issue with that. The persons who prove the haters "right" are not the ones that care. The Black people who do care, more often than not, are the ones who are proving the haters wrong. The problem is that the persons who do stupid stuff get the most attention. There is a saying "if it bleeds it leads".

Something else. Many African-Americans, such as my family, try very hard not to live around criminals. However, the more we do this, the more the criminals get noticed. The persons who do care are not the ones doing stupid things. The thugs are the ones who don't care what VDARE or other haters think of them. One aspect of criminal mentality is nihilism. With nihilism, there is a very anti-social mentality and therefore, you have thugs, who don't see themselves as part of a community, but rather, fighting a community.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Why should the actions of SOME people reflect a whole race? Also, crime is not contained to only African-Americans, studies have shown poverty is correlated with crime. Why not single out poor folks instead of you know, the black lawyer in Buckhead along with the kid living in section 8 in West Point?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM

19 posts, read 52,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
I can stand behind this.

What I am tired of is bad policing.

In my mom's neighborhood we can call the cops on the drugs and then get pulled over by a K9 unit. Then the next day, I end up sitting in traffic behind an obvious drug deal.
Sitting in traffic behind a drug deal....are you kidding me??

It will only continue if neighbors and residents in that area allow it to happen.
I'd say give those thugs a mean long dose of your horn and tell them to move on!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, this sounds like a reasonable message, but there is one issue with that. The persons who prove the haters "right" are not the ones that care. The Black people who do care, more often than not, are the ones who are proving the haters wrong. The problem is that the persons who do stupid stuff get the most attention. There is a saying "if it bleeds it leads".

Something else. Many African-Americans, such as my family, try very hard not to live around criminals. However, the more we do this, the more the criminals get noticed. The persons who do care are not the ones doing stupid things. The thugs are the ones who don't care what VDARE or other haters think of them. One aspect of criminal mentality is nihilism. With nihilism, there is a very anti-social mentality and therefore, you have thugs, who don't see themselves as part of a community, but rather, fighting a community.
I cant argue with your take. It makes good sense dude. I guess its a never ending issue. I know as a fact black crime will never go away, just wish a lot of it would. I dont see the white host as a racist but I do see him as a frustrated citizen, if thats all he sees & reads is "urban thugs" messing things up. when I see crazy white or mexican criminals it just kinda rolls off ya know, but when a black criminal comes on the screen im like damn!! again?? why? now haters gonna kept talking slick...im not gonna say white people are child molesters...if what they saying is the truth. What whites do really has no interest for me, but again when I see blacks messing up Im like why we gotta be the ones proving people right??? Of course there are many blacks on da grind..working, living, loving, ya dig? but its these goon/chickenhead types that I wish would go away already. Hard to explain my disappointment & irritation with people.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:34 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A link to one version of the story: Critics condemn Boortz rant on violent crime | 11alive.com

As someone who has lived here 27+ years, I can attest that certain types of crime have increased throughout the metro area, especially the suburbs. I will also say that the crimes seem to have become much more brazen and violent as well, compared to years ago.

Atlanta is a large city, and any large city is going to have a certain level of crime. But when I moved here, aside from select "drug neighborhoods", much of the crime involved car break-ins, home break-ins in certain intown neighborhoods, and a very rare mugging. Today, it does seem commonplace to hear about "crews" raiding homes (with and without people inside), groups of guys in stolen SUVs mugging someone (with guns they use even if the person gives them what they want, in some cases), and "smash and grab" robberies in broad daylight, among others. These were not daily headlines in the 1980s or early-to-mid 90s. They seem to be now.

We can analyze why this seemed to happen so quickly, but there might not be any set answers. Is the influx of "Post Katrina" gang members that we received (verified by old Chief Pennington) the reason for the shift to more violent/brazen crime here? Is it that the last generation of criminals have procreated, and their offspring who are coming of age now are worse than they were, because of not having good Fathers as roll models when growing up? Is it poor City leadership? A combination of "all of the above"? Hmmmm.

I don't like Boortz. I think he's a loudmouth. I also don't like the idea of every single citizen here arming themselves and carrying "heat" when they go to the grocery store. However, I will say this - if more people who are carjacking and home invading wind up leaving the scene in body bags as opposed to handcuffs - yes, it MIGHT make some folks think twice before they do it. But it's a slippery slop between self protection and going back to the days of the Wild Wild West, too.

Whites Arming against Black Males: Overt Racist Talk to Modern-Day Lynching :: racismreview.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta