Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:20 AM

112 posts, read 171,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Most blacks don't really get that drunk at clubs anymore because the drink prices r too high.
Ladies drink free til midnight at Harlem Nights Ultra Lounge "Restaurant."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,999 times
Quote:
You still didn't answer the question,if cruising is bad its bad 24/7 right? Troublemakers can cruise your neighborhood
anytime of the day except for 2am? It's reasonable to want bars to open an additional hour just like its reasonable to want any other venue such as sports stadium, malls, restaurants, strip clubs, etc not to close an hour earlier because of alcohol sales. We.can't pick and choose what venues to close early because of alcohol, we need to be fair across.the board. BTW I don't even drink. Most blacks don't really get that drunk at clubs anymore because the drink prices r too high.

Stop the race card, it is becoming very tiring and boring.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Stop the race card, it is becoming very tiring and boring.

I see you all like changing the direction of each thread. Now disregard what I said...Do you agree or disagree with the everything else that I said?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Where did the OP use race!? Let's just leave it at that. We already have enough of these race wars going on...

Now let's get back to the issue at hand. Do u agree or disagree with the plan?

Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 AM

Most people are not going to stay out until 4am anyway except for maybe Friday and Saturday. It will still be people staying out to 4am but it will not be as many as people think.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Here's my proposal:

For bars that open past 2AM, they must not only pay for an APD bouncer, but also an additional APD officer who does foot patrol in an area within 1,500' (~3 blocks) of the bar/club. This needs to be true of all opening time that occurs past 2AM, as well as 30 minutes after last call. If more than 3 bars are located within 1,500' of one another, they can start to share patrol officers.

This gives the nearby residents something tangible to gain from the plan. It will provide more hours for police officers. It will create tax revenue for the city. It will allow bar-goers to have options past 2:30. And it will prevent every single bar from staying open until 4AM--primarily only large, established bars will be able to afford this.

Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with bars staying open 24/7 under these sorts of restrictions. It happens in cities all over the world, and people get along fine. I think early last calls lead to an "hour of insanity" that starts at 2AM when all the bars clear out at once and the streets are in chaos. If people filter out over longer periods of time, it's a lot easier to manage the impacts and keep the peace.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
...but I'm concerned people are trying to make the city too much like the suburbs in terms of constantly opposing any sort of nightlife.
I haven't seen any evidence that Atlanta residents are "constantly opposing any sort of nightlife." To the contrary, there are thriving nightlife districts all over the city. Look at Midtown, Castleberry Hill, Downtown, Buckhead, East Atlanta, Virginia-Highland, etc.

And consider the vast potential for new nightlife on the south and west sides of town. For the most part that's still untapped territory.

What's so critical about keeping the bars open in residential districts between 2 am and 4 am? There's no hue and cry from the citizens in these areas demanding that the bars stay open later.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I haven't seen any evidence that Atlanta residents are "constantly opposing any sort of nightlife." To the contrary, there are thriving nightlife districts all over the city. Look at Midtown, Castleberry Hill, Downtown, Buckhead, East Atlanta, Virginia-Highland, etc.

And consider the vast potential for new nightlife on the south and west sides of town. For the most part that's still untapped territory.

What's so critical about keeping the bars open in residential districts between 2 am and 4 am? There's no hue and cry from the citizens in these areas demanding that the bars stay open later.
Because we are grown and other cities that depend on conventions for their local economy have a 4am last call. The Braves/Nascar/etc stadiums, restaurants, strip clubs, festivals, etc are in residential districts and they serve alcohol during the day even though kids are out for the summer but you dont want the city to serve alcohol for one additional hour at night when most people are sleep? I just dont understand the double standards with nightclubs. People don't want others to drink after 3am but it's ok for those same people to drink at Braves/Nascar/etc stadiums, restaurants, strip clubs, festivals,etc during the day. Of drinking is bad at a bar at 3am it should be considered "bad" at the other venues. Alcohol is alcohol no matter what time or venue people are at. If it's that bad ban is 24/7

Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Because we are grown and other cities that depend on conventions for their local economy have a 4am last call. The Braves/Nascar/etc stadiums, restaurants, strip clubs, festivals, etc are in residential districts and they serve alcohol during the day even though kids are out for the summer but you dont want the city to serve alcohol for one additional hour at night when most people are sleep? I just dont understand the double standards with nightclubs. People don't want others to drink after 3am but it's ok for those same people to drink at Braves/Nascar/etc stadiums, restaurants, strip clubs, festivals,etc during the day. Of drinking is bad at a bar at 3am it should be considered "bad" at the other venues. Alcohol is alcohol no matter what time or venue people are at. If it's that bad ban is 24/7
Why be intentionally thick-headed about this?

Consider the following:

1. Atlanta has excelled in the convention business with its existing bar hours.

2. The 2-4 am slot isn't aimed at conventioneers. If there are any conventions full of people intent on carousing in residential areas during that time frame, it's cool with me if they pick another city. We're certainly not Vegas, and we don't need to emulate Bourbon Street.

3. Events like Braves games and NASCAR races are not comparable to non-resident carousing in residential neighborhoods during the 2-4 am time slot. If someone proposed putting a NASCAR track or a stadium in Midtown and operating it between 2-4 am, you'd get plenty of complaints that it's not a compatible use.

4. It's okay to have later bar hours in places that are not in the middle of residential neighborhoods. We do that in Underground already and there may be other appropriate areas that could be identified.

5. Having bars open between 2-4 am is not simply about drinking alcohol. Folks can do that at home.

6. The people who live in the residential neighborhoods -- i.e., those who actually have skin in the game -- are not agitating to keep their bars open later. If they were, I'd be strongly inclined to defer to their wishes.

You say you don't live in the city of Atlanta, so frankly I can't give your views on this issue nearly as much weight as those who do. I don't mean that in an unkind way, but what stake do you have in this?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 AM

I see you don't want to answer my questions and you have a double standard when it comes to drinking. It's ok to drink at a venue any time during the day except for between 2-4am. It's ok to get a drunk as you want just dont do it between 2-4am :|

You said people can drink at home after 2am, well people can drink at home instead of at restaurants, braves games, etc at home to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta