Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 01:53 PM

212 posts, read 491,656 times

Advertisements

My husband has 2 job offers, one in Greenville, Sc and one in Atlanta. We have not been to either place but the jobs are both great advancements from where he is now. So we are contemplating on relocating from Columbus, Ohio. We have been wanting to move for a while now. Tired of the snow and long grey dreary months. Anyways, I have a couple of questions. I have already browsed the postings on here now, but some things are not clear to me.

1. What areas are "considered" the nicer towns/suburbs of atlanta?
-for top ranked school districts
-historic districts and (tree lined streets)
- good shopping & restaurants & coffee shops
- lower crime/friendly

2. I am really looking for a traditional home with LOTS of trees and character in the town/neighborhoods (Homes in the $300's-$400's). What areas of atlanta have these type of traditional 2 story homes that are not all new cookie cutters?

3. ***IF*** you personally know both places (atlanta and greenville) from experience, which city would you recommend relocating to and WHY?

Thanks for your time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 PM

18 posts, read 37,280 times
Greenville by 100,000 light years and 200,000 miles plus all the money the US in debt with. Atlanta has zero of your critiea in my opinion. Note that I do not ride MARTA, so you may hear other ideas soon.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:59 PM

djejsw2... LOL. You are funny. Thanks for replying but could you fill me in on why?? It will really help with our decision. Have you ever been to greenville?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preparing2move View Post
djejsw2... LOL. You are funny. Thanks for replying but could you fill me in on why?? It will really help with our decision. Have you ever been to greenville?
Yes, love Greenville. Now, I don't know about the schools but SC isn't going to be great. That said Atlanta used to be a really, really nice place when it was small. Greenville is like what Atlanta used to be-- check out their downtown area. It's great for families, where as Atlanta's is 100% family unfit, especially at night.

Long term I think the Greenville area will grow, but Atlanta will decline. Now, all that said Atlanta is clearly the big city with all kinds of entertainment. But the lifestyle in Greenville is better as they have the higher end stuff and new stuff.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:08 PM

Great insight. I have definitely read that greenville is a spectacular place to raise a family. It also has a beautiful downtown. I dont know much of anything about Atlanta. What do you think of roswell or alpharetta? Are there any good areas around Atlanta should we go that route?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:15 PM

10,739 posts, read 13,317,898 times
They are both wonderful cities. Clearly Greenville is by far the smaller, which is something many folks find attractive. I personally would choose Atlanta because I like big cities. Yes, we have plenty of tree lined streets with nice homes in your price range. Decatur, Virginia Highlands, Morningside, and many other areas. You need a real estate agent - George, if you are out there you ought to chime in.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Great insight. I have definitely read that greenville is a spectacular place to raise a family. It also has a beautiful downtown. I dont know much of anything about Atlanta. What do you think of roswell or alpharetta? Are there any good areas around Atlanta should we go that route?
Those are both nice too, you'd find though that traffic to and from Roswell and certainly Alpharetta would be tough at rush hour. Roswell has a nice downtown area, so does Marietta. Atlanta requires a lot of research because so many areas are in transition and you don't always know what your area will be like in 10 years. It's a mixed bag.

You probably won't go wrong with the north side of Atlanta, but keep in mind traffic and how far away the "city" is can wear on folks. For example, a braves game in downtown ATL on Friday from Alpharetta could take an hour and half just to get to the game. In Greenville your 15 min from everything, though there is no pro sports team. Good luck to you.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:42 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,637,110 times
Quote:
My husband has 2 job offers, one in Greenville, Sc and one in Atlanta. We have not been to either place but the jobs are both great advancements from where he is now. So we are contemplating on relocating from Columbus, Ohio. We have been wanting to move for a while now. Tired of the snow and long grey dreary months. Anyways, I have a couple of questions. I have already browsed the postings on here now, but some things are not clear to me.

1. What areas are "considered" the nicer towns/suburbs of atlanta?
-for top ranked school districts
-historic districts and (tree lined streets)
- good shopping & restaurants & coffee shops
- lower crime/friendly

2. I am really looking for a traditional home with LOTS of trees and character in the town/neighborhoods (Homes in the $300's-$400's). What areas of atlanta have these type of traditional 2 story homes that are not all new cookie cutters?

3. ***IF*** you personally know both places (atlanta and greenville) from experience, which city would you recommend relocating to and WHY?

Thanks for your time.
I would choose Atlanta because 1. It is more diverse than Greenville. 2. More entertainment options for you, your husband and kids (Six Flags over GA, Stone Mountain Park, Chattahoochee River, GA Aquarium, White Waters Theme Park and much more. 3. We have a variety of neighborhoods to choose from (Urban [Atlanta city], Semi Urban [Sandy Springs] and Suburban [Alpharetta]. 4. We have many great restaurants (http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post19236199). 5. We have the world's busiest airport meaning you can tavel nonstop to many destinations throughout the world.

Alpharetta (City of Alpharetta Website || HOME) is a tech hub so that equates to nice houses and schools in the area. Sandy Springs (City of Sandy Springs - Home) is also nice with great schools. Milton (City of Milton, GA*) is nice as well but you may want to check Johns Creek (Johns Creek, Georgia - Johns Creek, Georgia - Find out what's new from the official City website) out too.

I think you should visit both to get a general idea of both areas because everyone on City-Data will have different opinions.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 PM

My husband is a software developer so we might fit in well in alpharetta but I may dread the traffic. Is milton known for good schools? Im definitely more excited to have about .75 to 1 acre and lots of trees with great curb appeal... Nice older neighborhood with hopefully well taken care of lawns around. I know the job is downtown atlanta so not sure how much my husb. will like commute. He drives about 1/2 hr now.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:04 PM

23,388 posts, read 43,891,860 times
Quote:
Really not funny at all. This poster is a serious Anti-Atlanta troll and should not be taken seriously. Check out previous postings to confirm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta