Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:45 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
Yes and Charlotte, Nashville, Houston and Dallas have great subways..lol. Worry about Iowa before coming in this forum being ignorant.
What kind of argument is that? "Well other cities have terrible subways, so who cares if Atlanta does!"

No one is saying it needs to have anything on par with the NYC subway system, but I don't see how anyone can look at the sheer vastness of the road system around Atlanta and how it still grinds to a halt in gridlock at the drop of a hat, and not see that the transportation infrastructure needs a serious overhaul/massive capital investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 05:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
That's why more of you northerners need to be sitting in the driver's seat of Georgia's political arena making some decisions rather than sitting in the backseat complaining about the current direction of travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
I don't think it comes down to Atlanta not needing more people (black, white, purple or green for all I care); rather, Atlanta needs BETTER TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS.

A metropolis of 5.0-5.5 million people should not have what passes for "subway" service in the metro Atlanta area. The subway system should stretch throughout the 20 county metropolitan area like tentacles, covering vital business, residential, transportation and economic hubs in the ATL area. Instead, MARTA covers a ridiculously low area of Fulton and DeKalb counties, and, quite frankly, it is embarrassing to look at. That might've been cool circa 1982, but Atlanta's grown almost 3 million people since the 1980 Census.

BTW, we hardy folk in Iowa would LOVE to have the growth that Atlanta (and Georgia) have had for the past 3-4 decades, traffic and all. It means that something's being done right. But if the boneheads in the legislature continue to ignore the importance of creating an updated transportation system, Atlanta's economic vitality will begin to wane, and other metro areas (read: Charlotte/Nashville) will eventually begin to step up to the plate.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:50 PM

99 posts, read 327,489 times
You missed my point: while Atlanta (and Georgia by extension) are fretting over building an extensive subway system, other cities are doing the things necessary to at least have a fighting chance in competing against Atlanta long term.

Your kind of bullheaded, reactionary statement sounds like the crap that many RUST Belt leaders (emphasis on RUST) muttered generations ago. "Why diversify ourt economy, or build better transportation networks? We're (insert your city) and we don't have to continue evolutionizing." I mean "Who in the hell are L.A., Atlanta, or Texas?" Generations later, the South and the West are, by most accounts, prosepring, while the RUST Belt has been left in the dust.

And still, you have not answered the question: How is Atlanta going to compete LONG TERM? I am not attempting to attack Atlanta, just asking a simple question. The party will end eventually, and just stating that you're "business friendly" and have a "low cost-of-living" is not going to cut it. You know, some businesses care about little things such as, oh...INFRASTRUCTURE!! BTW, don't tell me where I can and cannot frequent jackass.

Oh yeah, GO HAWKEYES...

Last edited by JTJ1977; 06-25-2011 at 06:39 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 05:57 PM

Oh yeah...my comments were directed to Hobnob, or whatever that *******'s name was (sorry folks), not Acidesnake, or anyone else. We can have differences of opinion; but when attacks get personal, the Southern HOT BLOODED roots come out!! LOL (Born in the 601!!)

Old 06-25-2011, 06:04 PM

Acidsnake, you have to hold on for a sec brother. I need to relocate first...LOL. All I was saying was that many cities would be better off with a detailed transportation plan. Some politicians think "progressivism" is spending 3-6 hours of your life on a freeway in SoCal, or the ATL, but not I. That's why I'm looking for something more in-town.

Cities, IMO, look more aesthetically pleasing when they are dense. Again, I want to see Atlanta prosper like any other lover of great cities. I'm just saying to people down there who are stand-pat on issues of growth and infrastructure that they should look at the Industrial Midwestern cities of St. Louis, Cleveland, and Detroit as a cautionary tale of what NOT to do (or even smaller cities, for that matter).

---Stubborn leadership at all levels, that's unwilling to innovate, or create new knowledge-based industries (Silicon Valley/IT in Austin/Research Triangle in NC)
---Hypersegregation (Most notably on a racial level, but also on a class level as well)
---Discriminatory zoning laws, creating large "have/have not" cities and suburbs within a metropolis.

Last edited by JTJ1977; 06-25-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
What kind of argument is that? "Well other cities have terrible subways, so who cares if Atlanta does!"

No one is saying it needs to have anything on par with the NYC subway system, but I don't see how anyone can look at the sheer vastness of the road system around Atlanta and how it still grinds to a halt in gridlock at the drop of a hat, and not see that the transportation infrastructure needs a serious overhaul/massive capital investment.

I agree, and that was my point. Hobgob's ad hominem attack on me is laughable, because a.) Again, Iowa is not the topic here (there are more people in the MSA of Atlanta than the state of Iowa), and b.) I would think that most Atlantans would want a 20-minute commute like we have here...lol. Thanks Hobgob for proving my point...lol.

The Twin Cities has an average commute of 20-25 minutes with a metro population of roughly 3.2 million people (think metro Seattle), and STILL, it can get better. They have a few light rail lines that they have created in the Twin Cities area, with more to come, and a line from Minneapolis to St. Cloud called the Northstar. Perhaps someone from Minnesota frequenting this board could elaborate better than I...lol. Perhaps Atlanta could create a line like that going out to areas such as Athens, or Macon to alleviate traffic, alongside the extensive light rails that the area needs.

Last edited by JTJ1977; 06-25-2011 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Typo errors. The Macon/Athens thought is long term thinking.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:15 PM

199 posts, read 178,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post

Why do you pick on or care about Atlanta then. Do you go to the Houston or Nashville forum telling them they need better transit because surely they do?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:16 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
The biggest problem with the South is they won't deal with the race issue. People just tolerate each other.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I agree, and that was my point. Hobgob's ad hominem attack on me is laughable, because a.) Again, Iowa is not the topic here (there are more people in the MSA of Atlanta than the state of Iowa), and b.) I would think that most Atlantans would want a 20-minute commute like we have here...lol. Thanks Hobgob for proving my point...lol.

The Twin cities has a 20-25 minute average commute with a metro population of roughly 3.2 million people (think metro Seattle), and STILL, it can get better. They have a few light rail lines that they have created in the Twin Cities area, with more to come, and a line from Minneapolis to St. Cloud called the Northstar. Perhaps someone from Minnesota frequenting this board could elaborate better than I...lol. Perhaps Atlanta could create a line like that going out to areas such as Athens, or Macon to alleviate traffic, alongside the extensive light rails that the area needs.
Have you went into the forums of Dallas and Austin giving them transit tips? I mean our ridership is higher then any other sunbelt city so why are you here and not in those forums?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
You missed my point: while Atlanta (and Georgia by extension) are fretting over building an extensive subway system, other cities are doing the things necessary to at least have a fighting chance in competing against Atlanta long term.

Your kind of bullheaded, reactionary statement sounds like the crap that many RUST Belt leaders (emphasis on RUST) muttered generations ago. "Why diversify ourt economy, or build better transportation networks? We're (insert your city) and we don't have to continue evolutionizing." I mean "Who in the hell are L.A., Atlanta, Texas, etc. Generations later, the South and the West are, by most accounts, prosepring, while the RUST Belt has been left in the dust.

And still, you have not answered the question: How is Atlanta going to compete LONG TERM? I am not attempting to attack Atlanta, just asking a simple question. The party will end eventually, and just stating that you're "business friendly" and have a "low cost-of-living" is not going to cut it. You know, some businesses care about little things such as, oh...INFRASTRUCTURE!! BTW, don't tell me where I can and cannot frequent jackass.

Oh yeah, GO HAWKEYES...
Go live in Chicago then. Why are you in this thread if you have no stake in this city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta