Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 06:25 PM

99 posts, read 327,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
The biggest problem with the South is they won't deal with the race issue. People just tolerate each other.
IDK...I don't want to get into a game of generalizations, but I actually find people in the South more frank about the issue. I think it's because of the shared and sordid history of race in the region. I think that race is expressed more subtly in the Midwest/Northeast by residential patterns. There's this wonderful map that details residential segregation throughout the United States, courtesy of the New York Times. Check it out
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Check out the racial housing patterns of the Southern and Northern U.S. and you will typically find a heck of a lot more residential intergration in Atlanta or Houston as opposed to NYC, or Chicago. I would like for you to look at Detroit as well...WOW!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 06:25 PM

199 posts, read 178,767 times
Jeeze, people who don't live here and aren't affected need to get out of this thread. This isn't even a transit thread. Go to all the other large sunbelt cities forums with WORSE transit and help them, we are working on our system with a transportation tax vote so go harass Texas or Florida cities.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgob View Post
Why do you pick on or care about Atlanta then. Do you go to the Houston or Nashville forum telling them they need better transit because surely they do?
I don't know, maybe because I spent most of my life in Atlanta and would like to relocate there in the near-ish future?

And no one "picking on" Atlanta. People are pointing out the very real problem that Atlanta has when it comes to transportation infrastructure. But please feel free to keep your head in the sand and ignore the problem instead of working on it, that seems to be working pretty good so far.

Now, do you have any actual responses to all of thse valid points, or just "If don't live here I don't have to listen to you!"

Old 06-25-2011, 06:47 PM

99 posts, read 327,448 times
Quote:
Go live in Chicago then. Why are you in this thread if you have no stake in this city?

Because I want to be a part of your fine city and area, which means that I have a long term stake in it as well. Is that a crime?

As far as Chicago's concerned, I have no desire to live in a city where crime's off the charts (gangs control entire neighborhoods like my uncle's former area, Englewood), they tax the living hell out of you for any and everything, and political corruption is looked at with a wink and a smile. And did I mention the Lake Michigan winds during the Fall and Winter months that would make an Eskimo clap their hands, stomp their feet, and shout "SWEET BABY JESUS??!!" Atlanta (and other cities) have problems as well. And Chicago has many good points (food, sports, wonderful neighborhoods on the Northside, and beautiful women), but the bad in Chicago far outweighs anything good, and the bad in Atlanta is, IMO, manageable.

HELLO ATLANTA!! LOL

Old 06-25-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I don't know, maybe because I spent most of my life in Atlanta and would like to relocate there in the near-ish future?

And no one "picking on" Atlanta. People are pointing out the very real problem that Atlanta has when it comes to transportation infrastructure. But please feel free to keep your head in the sand and ignore the problem instead of working on it, that seems to be working pretty good so far.

Now, do you have any actual responses to all of thse valid points, or just "If don't live here I don't have to listen to you!"
Do you go around to other cities doing this and "stating their problems" when obviously the residence are aware? Do you think you are Sherlock?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:55 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Most people are not that smart. Seriously, that why the media has so much power. Atlanta doesnt need anymore black people, we have ENOUGH here already. So in 2011 moving to a city just because of your race for COMFORT reasons says a lot about that person....some form of weakness. Sorry but thats my take on it.
It's really not that simple but I'm not at all surprised that you fail to grasp all of the intricacies and implications associated with the Southward migration of Blacks.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:00 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Quote:

Quote:
Do you go around to other cities doing this and "stating their problems" when obviously the residence are aware? Do you think you are Sherlock?
Well I guess that's a no.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Well I guess that's a no.
I'm not understanding what want by stating the obvious. Does it make you feel good or proud?

Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/ny...gm0ZxeI3HzOjMw

Just like these guys I am heading down south once the wife is done with school. If you have an education and want a family and save money Atlanta is the place to be

Duluth/Johns Creek or Lilburn or Dunwoody ... can't decide
Welcome! We would love to have you in our city. Please don't listen to some of the bigots on here. Atlanta is a nice place and you will fit right in.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
Because I want to be a part of your fine city and area, which means that I have a long term stake in it as well. Is that a crime?

As far as Chicago's concerned, I have no desire to live in a city where crime's off the charts (gangs control entire neighborhoods like my uncle's former area, Englewood), they tax the living hell out of you for any and everything, and political corruption is looked at with a wink and a smile. And did I mention the Lake Michigan winds during the Fall and Winter months that would make an Eskimo clap their hands, stomp their feet, and shout "SWEET BABY JESUS??!!" Atlanta (and other cities) have problems as well. And Chicago has many good points (food, sports, wonderful neighborhoods on the Northside, and beautiful women), but the bad in Chicago far outweighs anything good, and the bad in Atlanta is, IMO, manageable.

HELLO ATLANTA!! LOL
We are working on it but Chicago level of transit won't happen in our lifetime in ATL so you better go to DC or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta