Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:53 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,379,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I don't think so.

There would easily be more money if Corporations and the wealthy were made to kick up more their share into the pot. So far it's only the middle class that's being asked to largely bear this burden, via the regressive sales taxes.
Interesting. Acid, what is "wealthy" and what is fairly their share? Just asking out of curiosity since you mentioned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,962 times
1. There are so many different standards on what one could consider wealthy. And yet, I don't want to simply just pull some arbitrary # out of my hind quarters.

But for the sake of not cutting off at the knees the creation of too many small business startups, I would start the line of the minimum net worth for what I consider to be a wealthy individual at $1,000,000, as per guidelines of Rule 501 of Regulation D as prescribed by the Securities Exchange Commission.

Accredited Investors

Rule 501 -- Definitions and Terms Used in Regulation D

That's just a minimum value mind you, and I am very flexible to increasing the value for what I define as a wealthy individual depending on some key circumstances of the individual in question.

Some of those key circumstances would be if the $1 million is tied up in a business that employs the local community, or if it's simply some person who walked into an inheritance and would likely just blow it all on crap anyways. Time is a factor as well, because if that person does decide to start a business that immediately employs Americans, then I am very willing to bypass taxing that person for a certain amount of time.

2. As to the second part of your question about what I consider to be fair share, I cannot say for certain. If I tried, I would be going into some long rationale based mostly on ifs and maybes. But I would like for our country to decide which items are more important for it to operate & then survive and thrive in the black.

If America wants to be a nation of more guns and less butter, fine. If we want to be a nation of less guns and more butter, that's fine too. But this current policy of trying to have both the guns and the butter, then charging it all on the Communist China Mastercard is absolutely insane.

Solve that quandary and I would feel more comfortable answering the second part of your question.

Hope that helps. If not...my apologies, but that's the best you're gonna get from me on this topic...for now anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Interesting. Acid, what is "wealthy" and what is fairly their share? Just asking out of curiosity since you mentioned it.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 06-26-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It is inevitable that the three Southern states will pass New York sometime in the next five years. Heck, one of them probably passed them already. But these states are receiving too many blacks domestically and internationally and it outpaces what New York has received internationally from the Caribbean.
And that's a bad thing?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
The Twin Cities has an average commute of 20-25 minutes with a metro population of roughly 3.2 million people (think metro Seattle), and STILL, it can get better. They have a few light rail lines that they have created in the Twin Cities area, with more to come, and a line from Minneapolis to St. Cloud called the Northstar. Perhaps someone from Minnesota frequenting this board could elaborate better than I...lol. Perhaps Atlanta could create a line like that going out to areas such as Athens, or Macon to alleviate traffic, alongside the extensive light rails that the area needs.
Well, the only light rail currently in operation is the Hiawatha Line between downtown Minneapolis and the Mall of America via the airport. The Central Corridor line isn't scheduled to open between the two downtowns until 2014, I think, and the southwest LRT line to my old stomping grounds in Eden Prairie is still in the preliminary planning stages.

The Northstar Line only goes to Big Lake at this point in time ... the remainder of the route to St. Cloud is by bus.

I like what the Twin Cities is doing, but Atlanta with MARTA is far ahead of anything the Twin Cities has. In my opinion.

Additional note: wasn't the Twin Cities ranked one spot worse than Atlanta in the last traffic congestion rankings posted here? Let me look...

Here:

http://www.inrix.com/scorecard/Top100Metros.asp (broken link)

Last edited by rcsteiner; 06-27-2011 at 12:08 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 01:01 PM

99 posts, read 327,407 times
Thanks for the info RC...actually, I was hoping that you would come in to clarify...HA!! Yes, the Twin Cities are ahead of Atlanta by one spot. Otherwise, the list---well, the Top 10---are composed of the usual suspects. Seattle...wow...well, they don't seem to have many freeways or other forms of transit for an area the size of the Twin Cities. I always thought that Portland had a well designed transit sytem, with Tri-Met bus and rail lines, and their "smart growth" policies. Des Moines, IA in the top 100 is strange. I just visited relatives there after attending to personal business Monday and it seemed like everything ran well. Very orderly area downtown and in the neighborhoods around Drake University. Now Chicago...need I say more? LOL

Is there anything planned for the Northside of Minneapolis? I think that there's great potential there for a light rail system. The housing seemed pretty solid when I visited in 2006, in spite of crime issues.

Last edited by JTJ1977; 06-30-2011 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Needed to elaborate about various metro areas and their transit issues.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:11 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
And that's a bad thing?
I never stated that it was bad or good.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
Is there anything planned for the Northside of Minneapolis? I think that there's great potential there for a light rail system. The housing seemed pretty solid when I visited in 2006, in spite of crime issues.
I don't know, but I can look...

Okay. I looked. No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta