Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:24 PM

4,822 posts, read 6,060,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Actually things are starting to pick up again....in most of the NYC region...
that NYC, NYC is always building skyscrapers, I know chicago got a few but most the country no.......... hell no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 03:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,779,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
that NYC, NYC is always building skyscrapers, I know chicago got a few but most the country no.......... hell no.
Its not really skyscrapers , and its mostly outside of the NYC.....but muti-billion Developments underway throughout the Northeast...

Old 06-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, sure. With huge budget deficits that will take years to sort out. Better get ready for some massive cuts to every single category of State government.
Yea , but budget cutting won't affect private developers....

Old 06-28-2011, 04:43 PM

4,822 posts, read 6,060,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its not really skyscrapers , and its mostly outside of the NYC.....but muti-billion Developments underway throughout the Northeast...
if not skyscrapers What are these projects, and don't bring up high speed rail or DC. And I said NYC because NYC was brought up.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 5,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oooooh a stadium and light rail!

Two problems:

1. I assume you are talking about the new Cowboys Stadium...in Arlington, TX...22 miles from Downtown Dallas...That no one can get to in Dallas via public transit. So much for that light rail all over the city! Get back to me when there is a subway station underneath Cowboys Stadium connecting it to the actual city of Dallas like the Georgia Dome has.

2. About that light rail...

Dallas Light Rail daily ridership - 57,700
MARTA subway daily ridership - 260,000
Daily ridership just for Five Points Station in Downtown Atlanta - 57,000

Get back to me when DART has a higher rail ridership than just one of our train stations.
Heh, yeah Dallas may not have as many poor people as Atlanta. Not sure but, that could explain the numbers.

In any case, it sounds like you are mentally attached to a city-but facts are facts. Atlanta is projected to recover well behind other areas of the country, including Texas.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
if not skyscrapers What are these projects, and don't bring up high speed rail or DC. And I said NYC because NYC was brought up.
Large and Medium sized Dense developments like you have pictured , anywhere from 2 blocks to a square mile as with the Harrison,NJ development. Theres over 200 projects underway in the NE , another 50 could break ground this year..... Other projects include , Rail line extensions , New Railway stations , New Transit stations , Private School and University Expansions , New Hospitals , Solar , Wind , and Misc Infrastructure projects.... Out of 200 , there's about 70 projects in the NYC Region underway....

Last edited by DarkWolf; 06-28-2011 at 06:23 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,098,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
New normal -
Johns Creek on Peachtree Pkwy/141 just south of McGinnis -- apartment compex being built on a section of land. The land has been empty for 3+ years, and the rest of the area is not being developed.

12th and Midtown -- there were 2-3 projects planned. The one coming up is the apartment complex.

Nothing wrong with this. I am renter for the last 3 years. And nothing wrong with the new normal either.

Smyrna: EastWest connector and South Cobb Drive -- the only thing that seems to have come up in a tract of empty land is some kind of medical clinic.

Even as there are green shoots in retail operations opening, there are businesses shutting down to equal that.
Great... just what the suburbs need, more apartments.

In my opinion, suburban apartments need to go the way of the dodo. Unlike the 70s-90s era, young people don't want to live in suburban apartments. They want to live intown. And if there is no demand among the young professionals, then who exactly is going to be living in these apartments? Who wants an apartment in Johns Creek?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,302,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Great... just what the suburbs need, more apartments.

In my opinion, suburban apartments need to go the way of the dodo. Unlike the 70s-90s era, young people don't want to live in suburban apartments. They want to live intown. And if there is no demand among the young professionals, then who exactly is going to be living in these apartments? Who wants an apartment in Johns Creek?
Just FYI -- It is branded as luxury apartments. It seems to be the next phase of the Johns Creek Walk development at 141 and 120. Johns creek Walk already has apartments (it is mixed use).

I agree with your assessment about apartments, however a quick way for people to move to an area is helpful. There seem to be plenty of houses/townhouses for that these day though?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
The "promote growth" side of the Beltline is certainly taking some risks, especially in some of the southside neighborhoods. Except for residents in those neighborhoods, the general population won't immediately want to hop on a train and show up in the middle of Southwest Atlanta.
Guess what! Every time someone takes MARTA from the airport to a hotel in Midtown or Buckhead or wherever...that tourist or business person gets a nice ride right thru the middle of SW Atlanta. What kind of first impression does that give? Maybe Buckheaders, Midtowners, VA Highlanders, and others with deep purses and influence should pressure the City to aggressively clean up and develop SW Atlanta...in order to pull the City together and give it an image-boost. Let's make a lasting and good impression on folks coming to ATL via the world's busiest airport...everyone in ATL would stand to gain.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,098,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Just FYI -- It is branded as luxury apartments.

Of course it is. They all are, and back in the old days, they remained that way for a good decade or so. Now, I am not sure that type of a cycle works anymore. I just don't seen much demand for apartments in Johns Creek, even if they are "luxury."

Quote:
Johns creek Walk already has apartments (it is mixed use).

I agree with your assessment about apartments, however a quick way for people to move to an area is helpful. There seem to be plenty of houses/townhouses for that these day though?
Yes, and there are already enough apartments in Johns Creek, and an absolute glut of them in Alpharetta. I really see the "quick way for people to move to an area" crowd requiring only one complex. Then perhaps one more for the small and shrinking group of professionals who choose to live in a suburban apartment complex. Perhaps one more for lower-income people who work in the area. That is a total of three, and something tells me there are already at least 3 complexes in Johns Creek and perhaps a dozen in Alpharetta.

EDIT: I just looked at an apartment finder website, and there are a whopping 30 apartment complexes in Alpharetta.

Last edited by BringBackCobain; 06-28-2011 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta