U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 AM

501 posts, read 638,300 times

Advertisements

We are dealing with inconsiderate neighbors as well. They live directly below us and every other morning or so at 7am they awaken us with screaming matches and fights that they decide to have in the master bathroom. The wife is always crying and he is yelling and then in between boo hoos she yells. The other morning around 6am their 7 year old daughter screamed at the top of her lungs for 4 hours straight that she wanted her money. I do not know if the child misplaced it or her parents took it (I believe they use drugs too). This is a constant, I have stomped the floor and yelled for them to be quiet, the walls are very thin and there is no need to yell; if they are going to do so at least take it in another room.

I have decided note the dates and times of their nonsense and plan to compose a letter to management giving them the occurrences in a 30 day span and include in the letter if they do not address this the next step is for us to break the lease without penalty. If in 30 days they have not rectified this matter, I will then send a follow up letter to the property management company and cc the front office. Step 3 will be to follow through on our threat. It is not fair to pay rent on time and have to deal with garbage neighbors. Our building was quiet until they moved in 3 months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM

913 posts, read 980,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Call the police? No, no no...

You clearly have an issue here. They're loud up there, isn't that annoying?? And it happens over and over again! Even more annoying!! No sleep here, no sleep there... pretty soon you're so raging mad at the inconsiderate imbecile upstairs that you have half a mind to rip his head off! Of course that would land you in prison, so you'll have to settle for sending a parade of authority figures after him with threatening warnings and handcuffs.

So far he's not turning out to be a very good neighbor, right?

Well, neither are you. You're letting your fear of confrontation get in the way of your relationship with your neighbor. You're planning on using your leasing office or the police to do your dirty work for you because it's easier than putting yourself into an uncomfortable situation.

Have you ever even met your neighbor? I'm betting you haven't. How is he supposed to know his parties are bothering you if you haven't told him that? Maybe you're a student or you work nights. Maybe you wear ear plugs. Maybe you just don't care. How is he supposed to know? A lot of people don't mind that kind of noise, and a lot of people make that much noise simply because it never crosses their mind that it's bothering anyone. It's obvious to you, but it's not obvious to everyone. We all have different life experiences, it's what makes us human, and what makes living in a city with many different types of people so exciting.

Try something crazy: go up there and introduce yourself. Get to know the guy, tell some life stories, and maybe share a joke and a drink or two. At some point it will probably hit you that the target of all your pent-up rage is actually just a human being. Once you've realized that, drop a hint. Mention that you've been having some trouble sleeping and you would appreciate it if he could just keep the noise down a little on weeknights. Of course you will immediately apologize to him for having your own stereo up so loud from time to time, is he able to hear that? You know he can probably hear you down there too and you don't want to bother him.

Get the idea? This is what good neighbors do.

Seriously, please do the right thing. We're trying to have a society here.

If you prefer to take the easy way out, have fun making enemies. At least they'll be close.
What kinda fool or animall does not know it is not okay to make noise all day and all night everyday?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 AM

2,123 posts, read 3,390,845 times
I had this issue twice when I was living in Marietta. It got so annoying that I just stopped calling the police. I go to the gun range a lot, so what I started doing was strapping my AR-15 to my back when I walked to the car and made sure everyone noticed. The next time they were getting wild at 2 am I banged on the door and didn't even say anything, just gave a blank stare and the guy apologized and I went back to bed. Never had that problem again, not even once. My methods aren't typical but hey, it worked.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davissmissd View Post
I live in the Pittsburgh community of southwest Atlanta, cars are allowed to roam up and down the street playing their car sterio's at ear splitting volumes. This goes on all day long and at all times throughout the night. Now, we have been invaded by motorcycle and mopeds that are allowed to speed up and down the main road. Calls to the zone 3 police department resulted in being informed that they can't catch the people nor are they allowed to chase them. I asked if they could set-up a road block and was told that the riders will just turn and speed away. The police are useless and this community is as noisy as any third world country. I contacted the council person and am still awaiting a response, what is a homeowner to do?
If you get nowhere with the police or city rep, an expensive but permanent solution would be to just soundproof your home. I know spending money isn't the ideal solution. I wish I had some better advice!

Cheap Soundproofing Sound Proofing - Soundproofing Materials

Soundproofing Atlanta | Residential Soundproofing | Soundproofing Contractors | Sound Proofing Wall | Sound Proofing Home

Old 05-27-2013, 01:28 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,816,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
What kinda fool or animall does not know it is not okay to make noise all day and all night everyday?
It's a way old comment and that guy most likely will never read this, but I was thinking the same thing. "Maybe the guy doesn't know he's being a nuisance"?? Who in their right mind thinks they can have a party in the pool area in the middle of an apartment complex at 2am on a weeknight, and think that they won't be bothering anyone. To say "Maybe they just don't know" is to say "Maybe the are just really, really stupid". I think it's more "He just doesn't care and won't stop unless someone tells him to."

I live in a a townhome community, and we used to have some neighbors that moved into a unit two doors down from us. They did the same thing. They would have huge parties with 20 people on their back deck (our decks are 10' x 14', not very big), and they would all be talking at the tops of their lungs to each other, at 1-2am on weeknights. They would also have friends who would pull up in front of their house and lay on their horns to get the attention of the residents. It was highly obnoxious.

I think it finally got settled when one of my neighbors, who is much more menacing-looking than I am screamed at a horn honker from his balcony one day (he had woken his kid from his nap), and the honker replied "You want to come down here and say something?" And he says, "Yes, I do". The guy in the car didn't think he actually would and ended up in a situation he did not actually want to be in. As I recall, it fixed the problem all the way around.

So, confrontation can fix the problem, but it unfortunately might require you to be scarier than the other person and willing to put up a fight. Not a good situation.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:08 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
You don't have to be friends with your neighbors. You don't own a condo, you live in an apartment.

Call 911.

Trust me.

The apartment manager is very limited in what he can do. When the police come, they will figure out who lives there and who doesn't. Remember, the apartment manager can't do anything to people who don't even live in the complex, and I'd wager dollars to donuts that most of the people causing the problems are not residents, but guests of a resident.

If they are having drunken parties at the pool at 2am, there is a good chance there will be a confrontation when the police arrive. That's fine, let the police handle it and arrest whoever needs to be arrested.

You don't have to do anyting beyond call the police. The police will notify the apartment owners what happened. They will probably tell them that if they don't control the situation and they have to keep coming out, they are going to charge them. So the resolution is going to be that the apartment complex chains up the pool every night at 10pm and anyone caught climbing the fence will be arrested for trespassing.

I've seen this before. This is generally how it plays out.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:48 PM

28,107 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I had this issue twice when I was living in Marietta. It got so annoying that I just stopped calling the police. I go to the gun range a lot, so what I started doing was strapping my AR-15 to my back when I walked to the car and made sure everyone noticed. The next time they were getting wild at 2 am I banged on the door and didn't even say anything, just gave a blank stare and the guy apologized and I went back to bed. Never had that problem again, not even once. My methods aren't typical but hey, it worked.
Superior firepower and tactical skills will usually get the job done. Well played.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or