Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 PM

27 posts, read 70,743 times

Advertisements

Hello,

First, let me apologize in advance for the length of this post; but, I wanted to be as detailed as possible since I've seen so much good information passed through this forum.

I just got my 1st draft contract on the job for which I have applied, so it looks like we will be moving to Atlanta . I've been doing a lot of research on Atlanta and it looks like so far the biggest problem I've run into is with finding the right place to live for our family.

My husband and I have a 15-year-old daughter. She is active in band, school clubs, and well...she is quiet. She has never had to be in a fistfight in her life and--I'll be frank--I have no intentions of sending her to a school where violence is the accepted answer to every quandary, so I am basing the decision on where to live on where she will go to school. So far I have narrowed my decision down to the following schools (in order of preference):

Decatur High (City of Decatur)
Dekalb School for the Arts (Avondale Estates)
Pebblebrook High School Center for Excellence in the Performing Arts (Mableton)
Riverwood High (Sandy Springs)
Lakeside High (Evans)

So here are the problems I've run into so far. First, my husband and I own two other homes in two other states. The first home has a $3,000 mortgage (which pays itself every month via rental income); the second home has a $1,700 mortgage which we pay out of pocket when it doesn't rent. Thus, at this time we only have about $150,000 in free cash to purchase another home; we could double that, but frankly that's about as much as I'd feel comfortable with us taking on right now since we have the two other homes.

For Decatur High: the problem we've run into is price. The homes my husband wouldn't even consider buying for half the price where we currently live are double the amount (and he won't touch a fixer-upper). Also, he isn't keen on condos anyway but the condos there are upwards of $180,000. So for right now (unless we get a short sale or foreclosure miracle), that school zone is out...unless anyone has any other creative options/alternatives?

For Dekalb School for the Arts: It is by application only, but since our daughter was already in a very prestigious School for the Arts program in another state and comes with stellar references, we are fairly confident she will be able to get in. My question for that school though is: What is the best area to live in (distance-wise) for this school? If she gets in we won't have to worry about zoning, but can you tell me which specific zip code would work best if I have to drop her off to school in the morning? She is only 15 (and frankly, not too keen on getting her license any time soon, and I don't want to "make" he drive when she's eligible if she doesn't feel comfortable).

For Pebblebrook High School Center for Excellence in the Performing Arts: Is anyone familiar with Mableton? What kind of commute is it from Mableton to Downtown Atlanta (near the VA)? Would it be an extensive chore to get to work every morning? Also, what sort of town is Mableton (rural, suburban, city life, etc). I don't mind suburbia, but a rural area will drive me insane. What sort of makeup is the area (lots of shops/few shops, families with children/single life, etc).

Riverwood High: We may have the same problem with that area of Sandy Springs as we have with Decatur: Price. What are the chances of finding a home in the Riverwood High District for our price range? Also, what is the commute to Downtown Atlanta from that area?

Lakeside High: First, when I Google Lakeside High it says it is in Evans, Georgia; I may be misinformed, but isn't Evans, Georgia in the Augusta area??? Isn't that a heckuva commute? If it isn't--forgive me--but what's the commute like to Downtown Atlanta?

Thanks so much as always for all the southern hospitality I've been shown on this site thus far. I truly appreciate everyone who has taken the time to help me .
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Auditions for DSA were done in the Spring. You need to contact them and make sure they have openings. If they do, consider Avondale Estates. DSA, though, is a very narrow school. Pretty much only arts and academics. I recommend you do research on it. Many students don't like the fact that it isn't a typical high school experience. No sports teams, so no marching band.

There are two Lakesides in GA -- You need to specify Atlanta. Lakeside High School in Atlanta, DeKalb, is one of the better high schools in DeKalb, though that may not be saying much.

You need to check into all selective public school programs. You have missed the deadline and most won't have openings. I would get on the phone and call all the schools. At least in DeKalb, deadlines tend to be pretty strict, though I have never been clear if DSA fills up.

Could you rent instead of buy? I love Riverwood High School. On your list, though I don't know much about Pebblebrook, I would pick Riverwood in a heartbeat.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 06-28-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 03:20 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
I would describe Mableton as a typical suburb - it is definitely not rural. I live in Smyrna which is right next door to Mableton. Smyrna and Mableton were traditionally blue collar neighborhoods with good location to Atlanta. As a result, they started to see significant growth and increase in house prices prior to the current economic downturn.

Smyrna benefited from the overspill from Vinings (a more expensive area of Atlanta) and Mableton then benefited from an overspill from both Vinings and Smyrna. The areas are nice and excellent option in affordability but still playing catch up with some of the nicer neighborhoods in Atlanta. I would say the primary issue are the schools which are hit and miss in this area.

Mableton would be a relatively easy commute to downtown but if the VA is not in downtown (I assume you are referring to the medical center). It is intown but NE of downtown. At 30 miles, I would expect it to be a lousy commute but I do have friends that drive it.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Auditions for DSA were done in the Spring. You need to contact them and make sure they have openings. If they do, consider Avondale Estates. DSA, though, is a very narrow school. Pretty much only arts and academics. I recommend you do research on it. Many students don't like the fact that it isn't a typical high school experience. No sports teams, so no marching band.

There are two Lakesides in GA -- You need to specify Atlanta. Lakeside High School in Atlanta, DeKalb, is one of the better high schools in DeKalb, though that may not be saying much.

You need to check into all selective public school programs. You have missed the deadline and most won't have openings. I would get on the phone and call all the schools. At least in DeKalb, deadlines tend to be pretty strict, though I have never been clear if DSA fills up.

Could you rent instead of buy? I love Riverwood High School. On your list, though I don't know much about Pebblebrook, I would pick Riverwood in a heartbeat.
lastminutemom, thanks so much for responding; you brought up a lot of good points.

I was honestly, honestly not aware that DSA didn't have a band. Her former SFA had a band and she is a true band geekette, so that may be a dealbreaker for her. She is all about Marching Band and Orchestra and is even considering majoring in Music, so I'm not sure if she would be alright with going to a school without a band...

I've did a lot of research on Riverwood's band program, and it looks fabulous. Lots of opportunity for parent involvement and a good, solid program that offers the opportunity for learning and fun, so thanks for verifying that Riverwood is a good option. I appreciate it.

As far as renting. Sigh... Well, that's just the thing. My philosophy is this: Our daughter has only 2 years left in high school, then she will be off to college; why not rent a home/condo in the district of our top-choice school, then buy a home wherever we please when she's off to the land of higher academia? For one, we plan to sell off one of our other homes before that time (so that will be a lot more income) and second, not having to be "tied" to a certain area because of schools will open far more options for us. It will also give us the chance to "feel out the area" and see what works best for us as far as traffic, neighborhoods, etc. But hubby? Well, he's winding down to the end of his military career and is adament on us buying another home when he retires. He is a practical person but frankly, he's just tired of the renting process and doesn't look forward to moving any more than necessary. I understand from whence he is coming, but...I think it's foolish to buy a home intended for owner-residence in a city with which one is not overly familiar. We have rented homes we intended to purchase and then thanked the Good Lord we didn't when a toney, upscale neighborhood quickly turned into the "hood" when major layoffs and a bad market came about. So I have no problem renting, but it may take a bit of convincing to get the other half on board... But, I digress, lol.

Thanks again for indulging me; I appreciate it .

Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I would describe Mableton as a typical suburb - it is definitely not rural. I live in Smyrna which is right next door to Mableton. Smyrna and Mableton were traditionally blue collar neighborhoods with good location to Atlanta. As a result, they started to see significant growth and increase in house prices prior to the current economic downturn.

Smyrna benefited from the overspill from Vinings (a more expensive area of Atlanta) and Mableton then benefited from an overspill from both Vinings and Smyrna. The areas are nice and excellent option in affordability but still playing catch up with some of the nicer neighborhoods in Atlanta. I would say the primary issue are the schools which are hit and miss in this area.

Mableton would be a relatively easy commute to downtown but if the VA is not in downtown (I assume you are referring to the medical center). It is intown but NE of downtown. At 30 miles, I would expect it to be a lousy commute but I do have friends that drive it.
Oh goodness...I wasn't aware of that . I did a 1.5-2 hour commute 5 days a week when I lived in California, so I would surely not look forward to another hump of a commute.

The information you posted about Mableton is really helpful, though. I haven't been able to find anything else that in-depth about the area so it is definitely welcome. It looks like the Pebblebrook High School Center for Excellence in the Performing Arts may be a good fit for us, then--although I am now afraid they will not have a band as well since DSA does not.

I really enjoyed it much better when the SFA programs was a supplement to a regular school, so the SFA students could still play sports and participate in band but get a specialized diploma as well. Sigh...

Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
If you are willing to commute - did you consider East Cobb? Their high school bands have always been highly rated

The Bands of Walton High School

LBBA - Lassiter Band Booster Association, Inc.

It is a short commute than Mableton - about 20 miles but a very busy commute so I would still expect 45 minutes on average.

Another note when I google map the directions from Mableton rather than Smyrna it gives me more back roads and closer to 22 miles - still expect 30-45 minutes on average.

Last edited by lorilove; 06-28-2011 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: final comment

Old 06-28-2011, 03:46 PM

538 posts, read 925,986 times
You would not go wrong in picking Riverwood. The daughter of one of my closest friends just graduated from Riverwood. They have a fantastic theatrical program and it is a charter school with an IB program. I saw several of their theatrical programs over the past few years and they were top grade. As far as I know she never experienced any violence and that sort of nonsense that you would find in the City of Atlanta school system. Riverwood is part of the Fulton County system. Sandy Springs is very centrally located for a commute anywhere in Atlanta, with quick access to I-285 and GA400. In today's market you should be able to find a very upscale rental at a reasonable price in Sandy Springs. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 PM

I would try to get your husband to reassess. High schools moves are tricky and since she is already in high school, you don't want to have to change her again.

DSA is really a very small performing arts school. Her experiences in marching band and large orchestras would not be replicable. Pebblebrook's program is part of a larger school. I am certain the school has a marching band but you would have to find out about the limitations to students in the magnet program.

You might also want to look at N. Springs High School which is also in Sandy Springs. It has a really high calibre magnet program for the arts and allows students who don't want the full arts magnet to take classes. Additionally, it has a really solid math and science magnet school. Marching band is available as well.

I cannot speak highly enough of Riverwood. It is an outstanding school and top notch parental involvement. Lots of community commitment turned it around from a struggling school to one that is a real star.

Any school/program that has admissions requirements has done their process. Believe it or not, school starts in 6-7 weeks all across Metro Atlanta. August 8 for DeKalb, August 15 for Cobb and Fulton.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 06-28-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I would try to get your husband to reassess. High schools moves are tricky and since she is already in high school, you don't want to have to change her again.

DSA is really a very small performing arts school. Her experiences in marching band and large orchestras would not be replicable. Pebblebrook's program is part of a larger school. I am certain the school has a marching band but you would have to find out about the limitations to students in the magnet program.

You might also want to look at N. Springs High School which is also in Sandy Springs. It has a really high calibre magnet program for the arts and allows students who don't want the full arts magnet to take classes. Additionally, it has a really solid math and science magnet school. Marching band is available as well.

I cannot speak highly enough of Riverwood. It is an outstanding school and top notch parental involvement. Lots of community commitment turned it around from a struggling school to one that is a real star.

Any school/program that has admissions requirements has done their process. Believe it or not, school starts in 6-7 weeks all across Metro Atlanta. August 8 for DeKalb, August 15 for Cobb and Fulton.
Wow. Up north (what I consider "north",anyway) school always started in September right after Labor Day. The first week of August is pretty swift! When does school let out in the areas you mentioned above?

Thank you for mentioning N. Springs; one other person did mention it to me before, but it is always great to get affirmation. The arts magnet is truly intriguing, and already has my mind working.

I am going to get on the phone tomorrow and start trying to work some things; I know enrollment for a lot of the magnet programs in these schools has closed, but one thing that being around the military has taught me is that there are exceptions to everything and something can always be worked out...

Thanks again!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 PM

When do you think you are moving? It would be ideal to have your daughter start school when the year begins. High school is trickier than k-8th grade in terms of missing content.

Riverwood has an outstanding arts program as well, just without the magnet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta