U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM
 
1,073 posts, read 3,732,687 times
Reputation: 777

Advertisements

Take Georgia, which joins our Top Five for the first time in four years. Adding to its typically strong finishes in Workforce (4th place), Infrastructure & Transportation (second place) and Cost of Living (9th place), Georgia moved into the top half of the states in Education (22nd place, versus 28th last year).

americas-top-states-business-cnbc-2011: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/113031/americas-top-states-business-cnbc-2011 - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM
 
15,116 posts, read 24,187,832 times
Reputation: 5777
Awesome to the max!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek, Georgia
956 posts, read 3,025,023 times
Reputation: 424
That's my baby Georgia for the #4 spot... That is what i am talking about..... Yeah.. baby.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
 
906 posts, read 1,544,666 times
Reputation: 469
How the HECK did we rank #2 in transportation and infrastructure??? That's got to be a mistake. I'll admit that the highways are in pretty good shape relative to other states I've been in. But where else are we scoring so many good points?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Atlanta the Beautiful
635 posts, read 1,357,194 times
Reputation: 287
Just imagine if our education system was better then we'd be a force to be reckoned with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 08:55 AM
 
3,317 posts, read 4,961,505 times
Reputation: 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
How the HECK did we rank #2 in transportation and infrastructure??? That's got to be a mistake. I'll admit that the highways are in pretty good shape relative to other states I've been in. But where else are we scoring so many good points?
I'd like to have this clarified too, but I think it's very possible Georgia's transportation woes are overstated.

Most of the reports that show us in the same class as LA and DC seem to use weird derivative type measurements, such as length of commute or hours lost in traffic per commuter. But then look at something like INRIX, which is basically an analysis of actual congestion over thousands of miles of interstate, and Atlanta does quite well in comparison to our peers.

We also have a heavy rail system that gets more use than most of the light rail systems in other sunbelt cities. I mean, if you throw out NYC's subway, its infrastructure would be absolutely abysmal. And MARTA connects our airport--the busiest in the world, which is constantly being expanded and improved--directly to four of the five largest office districts in the metro. The fact that our port--the fourth biggest container port in the country--is directly connected to the state capital and largest city by an interstate helps as well.


The worrying thing about our infrastructure position is looking to the future: gas tax revenues are declining, but the cost of asphalt soars along with gasoline. We clearly need to supplement this with new revenue sources.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,391 posts, read 10,471,326 times
Reputation: 6290
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I'd like to have this clarified too, but I think it's very possible Georgia's transportation woes are overstated.

Most of the reports that show us in the same class as LA and DC seem to use weird derivative type measurements, such as length of commute or hours lost in traffic per commuter. But then look at something like INRIX, which is basically an analysis of actual congestion over thousands of miles of interstate, and Atlanta does quite well in comparison to our peers.

We also have a heavy rail system that gets more use than most of the light rail systems in other sunbelt cities. I mean, if you throw out NYC's subway, its infrastructure would be absolutely abysmal. And MARTA connects our airport--the busiest in the world, which is constantly being expanded and improved--directly to four of the five largest office districts in the metro. The fact that our port--the fourth biggest container port in the country--is directly connected to the state capital and largest city by an interstate helps as well.


The worrying thing about our infrastructure position is looking to the future: gas tax revenues are declining, but the cost of asphalt soars along with gasoline. We clearly need to supplement this with new revenue sources.
Remember, this is a state ranking and not an Atlanta ranking. Overall, Georgia has some darn nice roads all over the state, a terrific interstate freeway system, a huge port in Savannah and, of course, the Atlanta airport. Not to mention, that on a national basis, Marta ain't so bad.

What puzzled me, is that Georgia was ranked 38th (I think) for "quality of life." I would have thought that this was some catch all category that would encompass education, transportation, etc. But, apparently, it's something else. Any clues?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 13,113,514 times
Reputation: 2698
The top 4 states are all Southern states (VA, TX, NC, GA). Good job!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 10:39 AM
 
30,601 posts, read 29,125,343 times
Reputation: 11457
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What puzzled me, is that Georgia was ranked 38th (I think) for "quality of life." I would have thought that this was some catch all category that would encompass education, transportation, etc. But, apparently, it's something else. Any clues?
Here's what they say about the "quality of life" factor:
Quality of Life (350 Points)

The best places to do business are also the best places to live. We scored the states on several factors, including local attractions, the crime rate, health care, as well as air and water quality.

Overall, Georgia rocks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top