U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM

199 posts, read 236,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
There are plenty of county public school boards in this state that doesn't have black men sitting on them. As far I know there hasn't been any complaints about them(the boards).
I know and even though the Governance of Atlanta is Black. Those in the business community (who run market and brand Atlanta) are White men. Isn't Sam Massell the unofficial "Mayor of Buckhead." No complaints about the lack of diversity there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 04:11 PM

714 posts, read 349,872 times
Quote:
There are plenty of county public school boards in this state that doesn't have black men sitting on them. As far I know there hasn't been any complaints about them(the boards).
So you have researched this, or just assume it to be true?

What about other sizable GA counties with diverse populations? Im not talking about hicksville with 15,000 mostly farmers.

Are you telling me that it would be fine with you if there were NO black men on the ATLANTA school board?

Frankly, most white guys could care less. You see, we dont b*&^% and moan about such things because, ultimately, we have confidence that, where merit matters, and not other "stuff", we are more than desirable as employees, board members, etc.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:33 PM

2,795 posts, read 2,310,074 times
I was simply talking in general about the diversity of public school boards in the state. If you want to split hairs just to come out on top in this discussion, that's on you.

But apparently it seems that you feel that it's okay for you to care about the racial composition of white men on a public school board, but it's not okay for us black men to care about how many of us are on a public school board.

Why else would you spend so much energy on this subject area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
So you have researched this, or just assume it to be true?

What about other sizable GA counties with diverse populations? Im not talking about hicksville with 15,000 mostly farmers.

Are you telling me that it would be fine with you if there were NO black men on the ATLANTA school board?

Frankly, most white guys could care less. You see, we dont b*&^% and moan about such things because, ultimately, we have confidence that, where merit matters, and not other "stuff", we are more than desirable as employees, board members, etc.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:59 PM

714 posts, read 349,872 times
Quote:
I was simply talking in general about the diversity of public school boards in the state. If you want to split hairs just to come out on top in this discussion, that's on you.

But apparently it seems that you feel that it's okay for you to care about the racial composition of white men on a public school board, but it's not okay for us black men to care about how many of us are on a public school board.

Why else would you spend so much energy on this subject area?
Splitting hairs = asking you to substantiate your factual claims with the/some/a few actual facts?

I said white men didnt care about racial make up-- when its about merit -- because we usually have no problems there.

Im sure black men will do what they want regardless of my opinion. However it undermines credibility when certain folks put so much emphasis on pointing out where black men are seemingly under-represented but yet dont make one whit of complaint when they are clearly over-represented. Just seems to me if it was truly about "fairness" and "justice" it shuld work both ways.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Why should I?

You made a comment of a general nature and I responded to it with another comment of a general nature.

After that, there was nothing else I needed to say or prove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Splitting hairs = asking you to substantiate your factual claims with the/some/a few actual facts?

I said white men didnt care about racial make up-- when its about merit -- because we usually have no problems there.

Im sure black men will do what they want regardless of my opinion. However it undermines credibility when certain folks put so much emphasis on pointing out where black men are seemingly under-represented but yet dont make one whit of complaint when they are clearly over-represented. Just seems to me if it was truly about "fairness" and "justice" it shuld work both ways.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:20 PM

14,639 posts, read 9,247,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Wellll....it doesn't work in this case. That was cheating by students and not the teachers and administration. It was the teachers and administration that cracked down on the students. That couldn't affect GT's accreditation although it might scare away young new profs. Although maybe the University System Chancellor was involved in helping the students to cheat. Never trusted that guy.

Tech is well aware of the methods and techniques of how students cheat. Some calculators had infrared signals so strong that you could shoot your answer to your friend across the room. Foreign students would feign grunting in their language to pass answers. And Tech is (or was) famous for its "Word" system of old exams held by fraternities and sororities. But I never thought of it as cheating. But that was addressed by requiring Profs to provide old exams so everyone had the same advantage.
So the teachers and administrators at Tech knew what was going on and turned a blind eye to it? Or they just got real busy with other things and somehow missed it?

Riiiight, Mathman.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:23 PM

Nice retort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So the teachers and administrators at Tech knew what was going on and turned a blind eye to it? Or they just got real busy with other things and somehow missed it?

Riiiight, Mathman.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 PM

14,639 posts, read 9,247,886 times
Quote:
Nice retort.
Every time I hear the word retort I think of Samuel L. Jackson.

I'm just giving Mathman a little grief because he's being too harsh on our good schools. As I said at the top of this thread, there's been a complete failure of leadership at the top of APS. It has clearly hurt many of our schools and our students, and no one could be more outraged about it than me.

However, it would be a mistake not to recognize that we do have a handful of truly superlative schools in APS. They were never under suspicion and have been cleared at every level of this investigation. That they not only managed to survive but to rank among the best in the state every year is a testament to the outstanding work of the students, teachers, principals and parents who make that happen.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 PM

4,570 posts, read 2,867,429 times
Quote:

I'm just giving Mathman a little grief because he's being too harsh on our good schools. As I said at the top of this thread, there's been a complete failure of leadership at the top of APS. It has clearly hurt many of our schools and our students, and no one could be more outraged about it than me.

However, it would be a mistake not to recognize that we do have a handful of truly superlative schools in APS. They were never under suspicion and have been cleared at every level of this investigation. That they not only managed to survive but to rank among the best in the state every year is a testament to the outstanding work of the students, teachers, principals and parents who make that happen.

So right, Arjay.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:00 PM

538 posts, read 454,862 times
Quote:

And what is the common denominator of those "handful of truly superlative schools in APS"?...........I don't think anyone could be "too harsh" on the APS system at this point....it has made our city a joke around the country these past few days. I mean seriously, cheating/erasure parties at teachers homes.....pleez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta