U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM

15,076 posts, read 9,805,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Administrators not doing their jobs in APS? Impossible! Assuming that means helping teachers figure out how to cheat more effectively.
Hey, I'm not out to demonize teachers in general. They're good, hardworking folks. I like them and have some in the family.

Nonetheless, this investigation documents that systemic cheating has been going for TEN YEARS. And it involves scores of teachers at dozens of schools. Some even had parties to do the cheating.

So this is not some kind of rare occurrence involving one or two people. And I don't buy for one minute the notion that these teachers didn't realize exactly what they were doing. (If so, they ought be fired for dumbness). At some point, even if there is a "culture of fear" or worries of retribution, you've got to stand up. Otherwise, you're complicit and just as responsible as the person who gave the order.

That's where the cushiness of the job becomes relevant. Far too many teachers for way too long just decided to roll with it. Better to keep that job and let the kids, the parents and the community take the hit.

Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 PM

7,781 posts, read 9,353,101 times
Good post Arjay (can't rep you again). The teachers absolutely had to be complicit, at least in the long run.

Why are so many of the identified cheating sites elementary schools, as compared to the amount of middle schools involved? The middle school scores are pretty awful too. Third graders are like sponges. I don't believe they aren't capable of being taught the material on the CRCT, regardless of their economic status.

I wonder how this will all play out for the students. Just recently it was decided that HOPE would not pay for remedial classes. That hardly seems fair to the students who have been cheated out of an education, and yet have managed to get into college anyway.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:12 PM

538 posts, read 470,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Good post Arjay (can't rep you again). The teachers absolutely had to be complicit, at least in the long run.

Why are so many of the identified cheating sites elementary schools, as compared to the amount of middle schools involved? The middle school scores are pretty awful too. Third graders are like sponges. I don't believe they aren't capable of being taught the material on the CRCT, regardless of their economic status.

I wonder how this will all play out for the students. Just recently it was decided that HOPE would not pay for remedial classes. That hardly seems fair to the students who have been cheated out of an education, and yet have managed to get into college anyway.
They haven't been cheated out of an education....they were simply promoted when they shouldn't have been. If you look at the "Hope eligible" pupils from the ACS system its in the 85% range which means they are all getting "Bs".....these kids can't pass the CRCT and should not be going to college and getting a Hope free ride.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:16 PM

15,076 posts, read 9,805,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Some good points--

But it is important for everyone in the U.S. to learn Standard American English.

The goal for AAVE speakers should be bi-dialectualism (and the goal for society should be to acknowledge, embrace, and praise the fact that beautiful, different U.S.-based/created dialects do exist).
I concur. But if it's necessary to go through a period where you're teaching in AAVE in order to reach the kids and get them on the path to learning then so be it. That's better than having them completely turn off, it seems to me.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 PM

8,712 posts, read 12,326,546 times
Cheating probe could get ex-APS official fired in Texas *| ajc.com

Old 07-11-2011, 09:11 AM
JPD

7,959 posts, read 8,235,307 times
I'll bet $100 if she gets fired in Texas, she'll be quietly rehired in APS.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:14 PM

11 posts, read 4,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I can't wait for the trolls to get bored and eventually find some other windmill to tilt.

It's getting annoying to see folks creating new online handles just to show how parasitically annoying they are.
I'm new here.... came because I started reading about the situation in APS.

Seems that you are defending the indefensible. I do believe the way this conversation is going that soon this will be a story about how these idiot, unethical "teachers" were FORCED to cheat.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 4,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Actually, it is about being aware of and using their different dialect background in order to help them acquire Standard American English. This would help them better navigate standard American society--along with an additional gift/asset of being bi-dialectual.

The "gift/asset of being bi-dialectual".

This, in a nut shell is what is wrong with the APS. Foolish, feel good, PC crap.

Just teach the kids basic reading, writing and math--grades 1-6. Put them all on the same level playing field. TEST THEM ALL THE SAME FOR BASICS.

Be able to kick the unruly kids OUT.

Keep your made up gifts/assets. Don't saddle poor kids with this ridiculous stuff. You aren't doing AA kids any favors. See: APS scandal.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM

538 posts, read 470,032 times
Meanwhile Beverly Hall is having Pina Coladas in Maui, Hawaii...........it is so sick it is funny.....

Casually running into Beverly Hall on Maui | Political Insider

Old 07-11-2011, 04:32 PM

8,712 posts, read 12,326,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legtingler View Post
The "gift/asset of being bi-dialectual".

This, in a nut shell is what is wrong with the APS. Foolish, feel good, PC crap.

Just teach the kids basic reading, writing and math--grades 1-6. Put them all on the same level playing field. TEST THEM ALL THE SAME FOR BASICS.

Be able to kick the unruly kids OUT.

Keep your made up gifts/assets. Don't saddle poor kids with this ridiculous stuff. You aren't doing AA kids any favors. See: APS scandal.
Troll much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta