Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM

39 posts, read 69,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Incorrect. This figure has already been shown to be false on this very thread.
It's ok, just change my answer to the correct one. I am not concerned with pass or fail.
APS kids on the other hand....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:30 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,095,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Incorrect. This figure has already been shown to be false on this very thread.
But I'm wondering if it might be worse because I think this only covers elementary and middle schools. Then there are about 70 of them of which 56 were investigated and cheating was found in 44 of them. So it might be more like 63% of APS schools.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:59 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,590,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I honestly don't see the problem with black kids speaking AAVE or some similar dialect. Think of all the other people who have dialects -- Southern drawls, Brooklynese, Cajun, etc. If that's what it takes to get a kid involved in learning, so what? Ultimately they should learn standard English but they have to get into the process first.
oh, my......pc.....learn to speak proper english is the way to get ahead in the world, not the ability to speak whatever dialect is the flavor of the day.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:02 PM

13,958 posts, read 14,866,245 times
They uncovered cheating all the way up to rural Pennsylvainia adn in Central Virgina

Old 07-14-2011, 02:21 PM

714 posts, read 810,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
They uncovered cheating all the way up to rural Pennsylvainia adn in Central Virgina
No one would question whether cheating occurred in other places. Of course it did!

But nowhere else was it so pronounced, so widespread, so long in duration (ten years!), so abusive, so expensive (bonsues!) cover such a large area (Atl), and involve so many teachers AND administrators (hundreds, including the head admin).

In short, it was Off The Scale. It was an abomination, an embrassment to the entire state and city.

Worse, it sounds like there were plenty of signals along the way. Schools going from drastic underperformers to outperfromers in one year. Yea, miracles happen every day, sure. Heads need to roll. Financial penalties need to be severe. Cheating teachers need to be shown the door and not permitted to teach ANYWHERE else.

My high school had an honor code we were required to abide by. Those that didnt got the boot. Folks such as Beverly Hall and her lietenants have no honor, and never will. They dont know the meaning of the word.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:26 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
oh, my......pc.....learn to speak proper english is the way to get ahead in the world, not the ability to speak whatever dialect is the flavor of the day.
Well, I've said several times that learning standard English is very important. And it's hardly impossible -- I saw a report the other day that 300 million Chinese citizens are learning standard English. If they can learn it in China, surely our own kids can handle it.

I'm just saying that if it takes using AAVE or some other dialect to reach these kids and bring them into the educational mainstream, let's do it.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:42 PM

439 posts, read 850,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
The 800 pound gorilla is DNA.......
As in Deoxyribonucleic acid ?

Old 07-15-2011, 04:44 PM

439 posts, read 850,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Apparently lots on this forum forget we entered globalization in the 80s. Furthermore, education plays a role in a globalized society that is part of a so-called 1st world country. Learning Cajun, Ebonics, Brooklyneese and other pseudo-dialects-feel-good-lazy-speech does NOTHING to promote a 'world-class' competitive work force.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
Apparently lots on this forum forget we entered globalization in the 80s. Furthermore, education plays a role in a globalized society that is part of a so-called 1st world country. Learning Cajun, Ebonics, Brooklyneese and other pseudo-dialects-feel-good-lazy-speech does NOTHING to promote a 'world-class' competitive work force.
I've never advocated any of that as a replacement for standard English. But if that's what it takes to bring kids into the educational mainstream so be it. It's better than leaving them out of the system altogether.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:50 AM

16,644 posts, read 29,343,547 times
Following “pass or perish” path in education, we’ve lost our way | Get Schooled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta