U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:58 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,119,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
Of course their are good schools, people jump to APS defense only when posters like the OP in this thread make blanket statements indicating the entire school system sucks. Cobb and Fulton have their own stinkers as well. You couldn't just say, anywhere in Cobb is WONDERFUL!
If you're going by test scores alone, Cobb nor Fulton are even high performing systems overall for 2011. Buford City, Decatur City, Cherokee, Forsyth and Fayette counties best in show based on test scores, so if you're going to suggest systems and not schools, those are actually the best ones.
But APS' credibility has been shattered and that reflects on all their schools.

Sure there are some stinkers in Cobb, but I know that Cobb and North Fulton have some of the best performing schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 01:29 PM

28,114 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I don't think it works like that, unless someone adopts your line of argument.

It's indisputable that APS has a number of outstanding elementary and middle schools. They weren't involved in cheating and have been officially cleared of any such allegations.

It's equally true that management of APS has been horrible.

You can't to tar the great schools and students with the management failure but I don't think that's fair at all.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM

461 posts, read 900,153 times
Quote:

Sure there are some stinkers in Cobb, but I know that Cobb and North Fulton have some of the best performing schools.
Right but based on system wide performance, they are not the best school systems. You can't have it both ways, either there are good schools in APS despite the current issues with the stinkers and the admin, or an entire system is judged in it's entirety.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,114,785 times
I was thinking more along the lines of Finland or Singapore's public education system, but maybe I'm thinking too far outside the box for some of the more parochial-minded types around here.

Quote:
Obviously...we need to spend more money!

I think we are just patching and putting new paint on a "lemon car". There are solutions "out there" but there is refusal to do them because the teachers' unions oppose the right reforms. See the documentary "Waiting for Superman" to get some perspective on this.

What is the best education system we have now? The University System of Georgia. I suppose we can't follow that exact model but we can promote their principle of greater competition for excellence among our schools.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 PM

39 posts, read 59,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's not true at all. See my post below -- schools such Springdale Park, Sarah Smith I and II, Jackson, Mary Lin, and Morningside are exceptional and ranked as high as any in the state.
Where's your proof?

There is a very thick report out that says many, many schools in Atlanta were cheating.

I can only imagine how smart folks look when they say my child is in APS when we could afford to send him/her anywhere. My schools is great, though the GBI and police do show up and haul someone who works there off occasionally. But hey, Cobb county has it's share of bad schools too!

Old 07-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
No one is listening to your idiot rhetoric that you have been storming the board with as of late. Please get another identity so we can not notice for a while before it becomes again painfully clear that you have no idea what you're talking about.

You must be a real estate agent, or perhaps an APS teacher??

Old 07-05-2011, 02:07 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,767,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl4lyfe View Post
Where's your proof?

There is a very thick report out that says many, many schools in Atlanta were cheating.

I can only imagine how smart folks look when they say my child is in APS when we could afford to send him/her anywhere. My schools is great, though the GBI and police do show up and haul someone who works there off occasionally. But hey, Cobb county has it's share of bad schools too!
Go find your own proof. It is a well known FACT that the schools arjay mentioned have extremely loyal parents that indeed certainly could afford to go private. That they chose to support these neighborhood schools speaks volumes as to their quality. These schools have been known to drive property values.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Go find your own proof. It is a well known FACT that the schools arjay mentioned have extremely loyal parents that indeed certainly could afford to go private. That they chose to support these neighborhood schools speaks volumes as to their quality. These schools have been known to drive property values.
Just keeping note of the types of advise city-data gold stars give out.

Good point about property values- I would think 10% to 15% hit right off the bat even though the report hasn't been made public yet. Don't be too greedy, unless the report really is worse. We'll see.

Oh and Arjay has no proof. He's speaking to speak. No one knows which schools, but it's nearly all of them.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:31 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,767,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl4lyfe View Post
Just keeping note of the types of advise city-data gold stars give out.

Good point about property values- I would think 10% to 15% hit right off the bat even though the report hasn't been made public yet. Don't be too greedy, unless the report really is worse. We'll see.

Oh and Arjay has no proof. He's speaking to speak. No one knows which schools, but it's nearly all of them.
You can keep note of whatever you please. Arjay is a very respected member here. You, on the other hand.........

You have proven in a very short period that you are beyond clueless and really have nothing but stirring the pot in mind here. Just exactly what is your agenda?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:53 PM

538 posts, read 755,028 times
The utter failure of the Atlanta Public School System can be linked to the fact that they showed the wrong movie at Screen on The Green which forced these black children to continually fail on standardized tests. Anyone who thinks that the Honorable Beverly Hall was complicit in the cheating scandal and does not deserve her $400,000 salary including "performance" bonuses and chauffeur driven limousine is clearly a racist. Although the APS spends more per pupil than any other school system in the State it is clearly a funding issue.....and most all of the APS students are eligible for the Hope because they all got "Bs"......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or