U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-05-2011, 07:20 PM
 
426 posts, read 1,236,349 times
Reputation: 144

Advertisements

I hate to say it, but on some level I must agree with Mathman to some degree... Here is why... Involved, concerned parents at all schools need to stop and ask how the failures of the Hall administration affected their school, even if their school wasn't investigated for CRCT cheating. The system of rewards and punishments Hall set up in response the the edicts of No Child Left Behind set the stage for cheating; but cheating was just the most extreme mechanism for "succeeding" in the Hall regime. A principal of a highly regarded APS middle school kept a huge spreadsheet on her office wall with each individual student's CRCT scores by area for the prior year to target instruction to specific students in order to best increase the school's overall score. I don't see that as educational leadership and if that is where the principal was putting her energy, what wasn't getting the attention it deserved? I can only think that successful APS schools would have been far more successful without having to strive to be "successful" by the narrow, NCLB-driven criteria of Hall's administration.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2011, 07:39 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,740 times
Reputation: 56
There are over 90 schools in APS, and about 40 of them were not investigated because there was no evidence for cheating. Many of these schools are great schools with excellent reputation. Yes, there are many low performance schools in APS, but you cannot deny there ARE good schools within APS. Get the fact straight to avoid showing your ignorance. BTW, I am not a fan of Dr. Hall. I think that she is responsible for what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Sorry, but a school system could lose accreditation over something like this. The entire Clayton County School system was brought down when it lost accreditation. The cheating was found in 44 of 56, that's almost 80% of your schools. So what of the others? It still casts some doubt because maybe they did a better job of hiding it? How can we know the scores are correct? This is so big that Governor Deal is involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
Wrong. There were 56 schools investigated, 44 of those were determined involved with the cheating scandal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Whew! I feel so much better about the APS now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM
JPD
 
11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Reputation: 7536
This is now international news. Heckuva job APS board!

America's biggest teacher and principal cheating scandal unfolds in Atlanta - Yahoo! News

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/....cnn?hpt=hp_t2
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 AM
 
28,101 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Reputation: 9523
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeogg View Post
There are over 90 schools in APS, and about 40 of them were not investigated because there was no evidence for cheating. Many of these schools are great schools with excellent reputation. Yes, there are many low performance schools in APS, but you cannot deny there ARE good schools within APS. Get the fact straight to avoid showing your ignorance. BTW, I am not a fan of Dr. Hall. I think that she is responsible for what happened.
Exactly. Many of us who live in the city are strongly committed to our schools and are very proud of those that have shown excellence. We are pleased to send our kids there and know they are getting a program that's as good as any in the state. There has never been any hint of cheating at these schools.

Tragically, that has not been true system wide. I agree with the mayor and the governor that there has been a complete and disastrous failure of leadership at the top.

That doesn't mean we throw out the baby with the bath water. The schools where principals, teachers, parents and students have worked hard to create outstanding programs -- even in the face of pathetic leadership at the top -- deserve commendation more than ever.

Now let's get the rest of this mess straightened out and make sure that all our schools are brought up the same level of excellence.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 AM
 
88 posts, read 170,432 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Exactly. Many of us who live in the city are strongly committed to our schools and are very proud of those that have shown excellence. We are pleased to send our kids there and know they are getting a program that's as good as any in the state. There has never been any hint of cheating at these schools.

Tragically, that has not been true system wide. I agree with the mayor and the governor that there has been a complete and disastrous failure of leadership at the top.

That doesn't mean we throw out the baby with the bath water. The schools where principals, teachers, parents and students have worked hard to create outstanding programs -- even in the face of pathetic leadership at the top -- deserve commendation more than ever.

Now let's get the rest of this mess straightened out and make sure that all our schools are brought up the same level of excellence.

Good post!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 AM
 
39 posts, read 59,844 times
Reputation: 34
Well, I think this is going to get uglier. If you look at some of the results statewide, it's almost certain that other school districts are fudging the numbers. Just have look outside Atlanta.

This is certainly driving me towards private school. I no longer place any faith whatsoever in test scores of a school, there are other metrics I suppose I'll use. And I also suspect this is a national problem, to some degree.

Hall may have done wrong, very wrong, but I suspect there are lots of people very concerned with what she might have to say...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,047 posts, read 3,873,868 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
I no longer place any faith whatsoever in test scores of a school, there are other metrics I suppose I'll use. And I also suspect this is a national problem, to some degree.
I never put very much faith in test scores. I like to meet my child's teachers and the administrators. I'm a pretty good judge of character and generally take my measure that way. DeKalb frightens me not because I don't think my child is getting a good education, but because I see myself surrounded by kids who I know AREN'T getting a good education. Those are the kids that in a few years will be gunning for my kid. And that scares the life out of me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 AM
 
439 posts, read 696,687 times
Reputation: 264
Anyone took a look at the list of cheating schools investigated? There is a 800-pound gorilla most of everyone is missing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 AM
 
28,101 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Reputation: 9523
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I never put very much faith in test scores.
Yes, unfortunately the cheating is going on all over the country. USA Today's series has discovered widespread cheating in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, Ohio and the District of Columbia.

When test scores seem too good to believe - USATODAY.com

At least we've now carried out a vigorous and detailed investigation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 AM
 
115 posts, read 368,099 times
Reputation: 53
alinka, yes I saw it. Jackson cheated. One of the shining stars. And while they said no cheating at Brandon, they found some evidence of problems at Morningside too. It is sad. Very sad.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top