Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,485,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
If she could have legitimately achieved, what APS faked, she would have been worth ten times that. Sad.
Is that a good or bad thing?? I cant tell in your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Ultimately the kids education still depended on the parents. How could the parents not go over homework and know their kids could not read.
Thats a really good question and the answer is parents are becoming more lazy as time goes on.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM

7,512 posts, read 11,310,995 times
Maybe these schools systems need to adopt more effective teaching methods? I've heard that the Singapore math teaching method works well.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I don't know if the scandals are just with majority black areas. But one issue that I've thought about is that I think too many blacks were naive about "black power" in general in America. The idea coming out of the civil rights movement was that if we could get more black faces in there then things would be better for blacks generally speaking. Well the reality is that having more black faces isn't enough if those black faces aren't going to try to do their jobs by the book. We've had too many of our share of crooked black politicians around the country since the 70's. Hopefully more black voters will start holding these black faces more accountable.
Very interesting. I think if it was a diverse school system this sort of thing would not happen. People only make these sort of plays when they are very comfortable, but a thug in a retail store in the hood he will steal, put that same thug in a retail store in a white area with nicer surroundings and he will be very nervous to steal, in fact he will probably behave.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Wow, what a blast to the Atlanta Public Schools from the New York Times.

Granted the cheating scandal was a black eye to the whole system and the city, but it's really not fair to smear all the other hardworking students, teachers and principals who did NOT cheat. Many of our city schools are top of the line.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/op...test-atat.html

Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,028,760 times
I'd like to think so but this culture of cheating was so widespread. Much more then just those facing charges. You also wonder how widespread it is across the country. Those districts that the AJC accused of doing the same thing quickly denied it and the story seemed to go away but the stats and the evidence from the APS is still there as an example of the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wow, what a blast to the Atlanta Public Schools from the New York Times.

Granted the cheating scandal was a black eye to the whole system and the city, but it's really not fair to smear all the other hardworking students, teachers and principals who did NOT cheat. Many of our city schools are top of the line.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/op...test-atat.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta