U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM

2,206 posts, read 5,948,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I never put very much faith in test scores. I like to meet my child's teachers and the administrators. I'm a pretty good judge of character and generally take my measure that way. DeKalb frightens me not because I don't think my child is getting a good education, but because I see myself surrounded by kids who I know AREN'T getting a good education. Those are the kids that in a few years will be gunning for my kid. And that scares the life out of me.
Sad to say, this is a very important point. I really don't get the parents who appear content to nurture their child in a private school or home school setting, while expressing withering contempt for public education and its students. To my mind, when their child grows up, they'll be working, living and voting alongside all those despised graduates of the public schools. If the public school graduates are just a bunch of thugs who despise middle class values, it doesn't bode well for our private school graduate, does it?

This is why it seems to me a no-brainer that other peoples' children are everyone's problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 11:22 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,899,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl4lyfe View Post
Well, I think this is going to get uglier. If you look at some of the results statewide, it's almost certain that other school districts are fudging the numbers. Just have look outside Atlanta.

This is certainly driving me towards private school. I no longer place any faith whatsoever in test scores of a school, there are other metrics I suppose I'll use. And I also suspect this is a national problem, to some degree.

Hall may have done wrong, very wrong, but I suspect there are lots of people very concerned with what she might have to say...
There are hundreds of public school districts. We're talking about one of those here. I'm not sure it makes much sense to map their actions to other districts, especially given how unique the City of Atlanta is in this state.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 PM

426 posts, read 1,236,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl73 View Post
alinka, yes I saw it. Jackson cheated. One of the shining stars. And while they said no cheating at Brandon, they found some evidence of problems at Morningside too. It is sad. Very sad.
The problem with AYP is that high performing schools must continue to improve. When there is very little room for improvement, that is extremely difficult to do, but the pressure remains. It is an illogical system.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 22,668 times
Have they released the names of schools that are involved? Just curious.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,119,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flawdagurlnGA View Post
Have they released the names of schools that are involved? Just curious.
The AJC has a map with a list of schools at the bottom.

A system-wide scandal*| ajc.com

Old 07-06-2011, 01:34 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,852,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl4lyfe View Post
You must be a real estate agent, or perhaps an APS teacher??
LOL

Old 07-06-2011, 02:42 PM

227 posts, read 411,387 times
CNN is covering this now...another black eye for the city

Old 07-06-2011, 02:49 PM

12,912 posts, read 20,985,787 times
I watched/heard the report on CNN this morning.

I have no problem with the national coverage--however, people need to realize that Atlanta is just the tip of the iceberg and we really, in a way, should be proud that there was such a thorough investigation here. Hopefully, this Atlanta scandal will uncover the widespread cheating that is happening in the test-crazed, education "misinfored" atmosphere.

More importantly, CNN got it wrong this morning. They reported that 80% of the APS schools had fraudulent test scores/cheating--WRONG. Correct answer--80% of the schools that were suspect/investigated were found to have fraudulent test scores/cheating. This is a huge difference.

Less than of the APS schools had fraudulent test scores/cheating. I hope CNN got it right later in the day.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:55 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,119,271 times
Still it's close to half of the schools. That's a big problem.

And I think we should be embarrassed that it got to this point. I'm pessimistic though because honestly, for as long as I have been alive, we've been talking and complaining about public education. I doubt it can be fixed because of teachers' unions and other political forces that will fight to mitigate any strong measures. There are a lot of "chefs" that think they have the solution. Ultimately, the University System of Georgia will eventually give students the education they needed.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 07-06-2011 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 02:59 PM

3,937 posts, read 3,849,549 times
I'm not from Atlanta but this story is pretty big. It's hit Drudge report with a few links. Here's a few down below

Investigation into APS cheating finds unethical behavior across every level *| ajc.com

America's biggest teacher and principal cheating scandal unfolds in Atlanta - CSMonitor.com

If you read the book Freakonomics it illustrates a cheating scandal in Chicago. But instead of helping it hurt the students instead. Say you have 3rd graders..the numbers are skewed and nearly everyone goes on to 4th grade. But not everyone is on that level...or on 3rd because they weren't really tested.

Beverly Hall is the superintendent a 2009 Superintendent of the Year has retired due to this.

This might be national news tonight... The real concerns I would say would be what are employers and places of higher ed going to think about the graduates from the district?

This is going to take quite a bit of time to clean up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or