Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 02:36 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if I am way off base here. I am not in the city of Atlanta, we are based in the north metro.

I asked about the AJC article showing all black administrators, because I thought the APS districts had more diversity than the AJC article would lead me to believe. I thought if the schools were diverse, the leadership would reflect that. Upon investigating, it appears there is, in fact, not nearly as much diversity as I had thought.

After reading the articles in today's AJC, more questions were raised. Many elementary CRCT scores showed decreases this year. In some schools the results were abysmal. In my mind that raises the question as to how effective the teaching staff is. Is it really that difficult to teach 3rd grade math and reading? Or have the teachers tuned out because of the administration issues?

Like I said, I don't have a big grasp on city schools. It just seems to me that there are problems at all levels, not just administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:40 PM

714 posts, read 813,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Only 2 out of 9 of them are non-black.

It would make sense if you're looking for photos of School board members you may end up with mostly black faces.
You'd think there might be one white man on the board. But nah. Imagine if it was reversed and there were no black men....lord, the cries of racism would reach Mars!

It will be interesting to see what scores do next year without the cheating. Something tells me a disaster is looming.

Taxpayers should sue Beverly Hall for return of all her bonuses, perks and salary -- for every second she served. It was nothing but a giant rip off. That is not even taking into account the harm she did to tertiary players. Meanwhile, the damage she did to those affected students is incalcuable. They should make the school board members PERSONALLY liable. That would eliminate such gross mismanagement in the future.

My schools stressed their honor codes. B Hall, and the CRIMINALS who carried out her deviousness, have no honor. They are thugs and absolute criminals. The harshes of penalties are utterly appropriate.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:45 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
There are plenty of county public school boards in this state that doesn't have black men sitting on them. As far I know there hasn't been any complaints about them(the boards).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
You'd think there might be one white man on the board. But nah. Imagine if it was reversed and there were no black men....lord, the cries of racism would reach Mars!

It will be interesting to see what scores do next year without the cheating. Something tells me a disaster is looming.

Taxpayers should sue Beverly Hall for return of all her bonuses, perks and salary -- for every second she served. It was nothing but a giant rip off. That is not even taking into account the harm she did to tertiary players. Meanwhile, the damage she did to those affected students is incalcuable. They should make the school board members PERSONALLY liable. That would eliminate such gross mismanagement in the future.

My schools stressed their honor codes. B Hall, and the CRIMINALS who carried out her deviousness, have no honor. They are thugs and absolute criminals. The harshes of penalties are utterly appropriate.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This reminds me of the Georgia Tech cheating scandal. Cheating at Tech was systemic and involved literally dozens of students.

It will be a long time before I'll entertain any suggestion to newcomers that Georgia Tech is great for their kids. And if you are a young aspiring new teacher, avoid Georgia Tech.

And I don't care what department you're in. The whole university was permanently tainted.
Wellll....it doesn't work in this case. That was cheating by students and not the teachers and administration. It was the teachers and administration that cracked down on the students. That couldn't affect GT's accreditation although it might scare away young new profs. Although maybe the University System Chancellor was involved in helping the students to cheat. Never trusted that guy.

Tech is well aware of the methods and techniques of how students cheat. Some calculators had infrared signals so strong that you could shoot your answer to your friend across the room. Foreign students would feign grunting in their language to pass answers. And Tech is (or was) famous for its "Word" system of old exams held by fraternities and sororities. But I never thought of it as cheating. But that was addressed by requiring Profs to provide old exams so everyone had the same advantage.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 07-07-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Did you ever seriously suggest to any newcomer that the APS system was a great place to send their kids?
No.

Maybe there a handful of good schools but at this point they'd have a hard time convincing me.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The top schools in APS were cleared of any cheating. At Springdale Park, Smith and Mary Lin, virtually all students met or exceeded CRCT test requirements. I feel for the hardworking and outstanding teachers, students and principals there.
Sorry, but honestly, for me to believe the results at this point, for the APS, the CRCT will have to be proctored by a trusted outside agency, and school administrators and teachers cannot touch the exams. In fact, they all should be off the premises.

It seems as if with every "stone" they turn over, they uncover more and more.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM

200 posts, read 449,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
Anyone took a look at the list of cheating schools investigated? There is a 800-pound gorilla most of everyone is missing.
Do tell

Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM

39 posts, read 69,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Forgive me if I am way off base here. I am not in the city of Atlanta, we are based in the north metro.

I asked about the AJC article showing all black administrators, because I thought the APS districts had more diversity than the AJC article would lead me to believe. I thought if the schools were diverse, the leadership would reflect that. Upon investigating, it appears there is, in fact, not nearly as much diversity as I had thought.

After reading the articles in today's AJC, more questions were raised. Many elementary CRCT scores showed decreases this year. In some schools the results were abysmal. In my mind that raises the question as to how effective the teaching staff is. Is it really that difficult to teach 3rd grade math and reading? Or have the teachers tuned out because of the administration issues?

Like I said, I don't have a big grasp on city schools. It just seems to me that there are problems at all levels, not just administration.
Many of the APS schools are 90%-100% black. Atlanta is overwhelmingly black in all levels of government. It's not a diverse city, though the metro is.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

It seems as if everyone puts the onus on the teachers but I think the students are also to blame. Or at least the lack of discipline in the classroom. The teacher's have more to fear from the students than vice versa. When I was a kid, the teacher could paddle the student in front of the class. I don't think the teacher should have the power to be abusive but at least we had respect for the teacher and the principal. I mean being sent to the principal was like going to the gallows.

I had a prof who was a bright and eager math teacher in public school. She quickly learned she couldn't turn her back on the class as they would throw spitwads. So she got an overhead projector so she could face the class while working a problem. Anyway, she lasted a year and left to enroll in a math PhD program. She was done with public education. She said she would drive by the school and go "blah blah blah". Not fond memories for her.

So in other words, it is a two-way street. It's not just the teachers.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 07-07-2011 at 04:38 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 03:28 PM

200 posts, read 449,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
There is probably not enough great teachers to go around. And what additional degrees should be required? We are talking about teaching elementary and middle school kids. Should we demand teachers with Masters' degrees in pedagogy?

The curriculum is not demanding, it's more skills in dealing with children. I think for elementary school, an education degree is sufficient. For middle school, I think the teacher should have at least a minor in the area he or she wishes to teach. High school should require a degree in the area to be taught. In high school, the terminal math program is calculus. If you can get a degree in Math, calculus is a snap.
I couldn't agree more. It takes more than having content knowledge, you have to be able to have proper classroom management, interaction with the children, being able to notice the nuances in differing learning styles and catering to them simultaneously as well as being able to deal with parents etc. You may be good at math, but are you able to teach math...so that children, young adults, etc. understand it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta