Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 05:56 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I think PKCorey has a point, and arjay's post was a bit misleading. I doubt the average teacher is finding a summertime gig that pays at the same rate as their school-year job, allowing them to bring home a gross annual income of $81K. The $60K teaching salary is probably more like it. That's not a bad income I guess, particularly when accompanied by excellent benefits, but neither is it exactly astoundingly lucrative.
Rainy, I certainly didn't mean to be misleading -- that's why I took pains to point out that the is $59,528 for 38 weeks, and that the $81,459 based on a 52 week year.

And I suggested using only a 10% factor for benefits. In reality, I'm sure they come to much more than that. For example:

-- 24 paid days off comes to $7,519.

-- Say the medical insurance premium is $350 a month. That's $4,200 a year.

-- Employers pension contribution of 10% adds another $5,952.

-- Disability, life and dental insurance -- say another $100 a month. That's $1,200 per year.

So you get a total benefit package worth $18,872, on top of your salary of $59,528, and three months off.

Again, you're not getting rich but it's hardly what most people would consider a low paying job. I sure wouldn't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 05:57 PM

16,644 posts, read 29,343,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, that's true and I stand corrected. Two of my daughters-in-law have been teachers and I should know that.

However, many Georgia teachers are represented by the Georgia Association of Educators, which is an affiliate of NEA. Although they can't do collective bargaining here, GAE lobbies on behalf of teachers and provides aggressive legal representation for its members. See here. So I'll back off my statement that it's unlikely anybody will be fired, but if they are it will be a battle.

I am well-aware of GAE, arjay.

But remember, most teachers in Georgia are members of PAGE--not GAE.

PAGE Professional Association of Georgia Educators

Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And why would I need to teach my students African American Vernacular English? What color am I again?
I don't have a problem teaching kids in AAVE if that's what works for them. In a culture that still stigmatizes dialect it may not the best thing for them in the long run, but the key is teach them in ways that they can learn.

And that's the problem here. It's not whether they're taught in AAVE, but whether they have learned the basic skills of reading, mathematics, science and social studies. It's about content, not linguistic style.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I am well-aware of GAE, arjay.

But remember, most teachers in Georgia are members of PAGE--not GAE.

PAGE Professional Association of Georgia Educators
Thanks again for the clarification, aries. If I've overestimated the difficulty in firing teachers then I retract my comment about that. I have an acquaintance who worked in personnel matters and he says it is an extremely arduous process, but maybe that's just his personal take.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:14 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,095,150 times
Quote:
It is not about teaching in AAVE (or Spanish, etc.), though that is an approach that some like (but I don't agree with).

If you read my post carefully, I said "being aware of...", not teaching in. "Being aware" can make a huge difference when teaching/learning language/dialect acquisition.
And I'm talking about teaching in and making learning accessible to a different culture within America, the heterogeneity issue The idea is that in some areas the students don't know and struggle with standard American English. So to facilitate their learning, the subjects are taught in their dialect. An added complication that a homogeneous society doesn't have.

As for teaching Ebonics, that's a curriculum issue which also divides on cultural lines. It's more of a linguistic type course that one can elect to take, usually in college. Maybe it will help promote racial harmony but will do little if we hope to measure up to the Finns.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And I'm talking about teaching in and making learning accessible to a different culture within America, the heterogeneity issue The idea is that in some areas the students don't know and struggle with standard American English. So to facilitate their learning, the subjects are taught in their dialect. An added complication that a homogeneous society doesn't have.

You missed my point. For kids that are learning in Standard American English, you do not (and really should not) teach them in their dialect/language.

However, (and like I said above), "being aware" of students' dialects, languages, etc. helps a school/teacher teach the students (and aid in Standard American English acquisition) more effectively.

Moreover, (and like I said before) the point of the Finnish model is how they approach education--lean standards, testing, curriculum, teacher professionalism, teacher-training, teacher status, class size, and addressing child/societal poverty have nothing to do with the heterogeneity of a country's population.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem teaching kids in AAVE if that's what works for them. In a culture that still stigmatizes dialect it may not the best thing for them in the long run, but the key is teach them in ways that they can learn.

And that's the problem here. It's not whether they're taught in AAVE, but whether they have learned the basic skills of reading, mathematics, science and social studies. It's about content, not linguistic style.

Some good points--

But it is important for everyone in the U.S. to learn Standard American English.

The goal for AAVE speakers should be bi-dialectualism (and the goal for society should be to acknowledge, embrace, and praise the fact that beautiful, different U.S.-based/created dialects do exist).

Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for the clarification, aries. If I've overestimated the difficulty in firing teachers then I retract my comment about that. I have an acquaintance who worked in personnel matters and he says it is an extremely arduous process, but maybe that's just his personal take.
If it is arduous anywhere in Georgia, that means that the administrator was not doing his job adequately and thoroughly enough (observation, evaluation, documentation).

Old 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,676,370 times
Quote:
If it is arduous anywhere in Georgia, that means that the administrator was not doing his job adequately and thoroughly enough (observation, evaluation, documentation).
Haha, exactly.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:45 PM

714 posts, read 810,832 times
Quote:
Administrators not doing their jobs in APS? Impossible! Assuming that means helping teachers figure out how to cheat more effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta