Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:41 AM

513 posts, read 1,631,757 times

Advertisements

I think I need some sense knocked into me. My job is downtown and that can't change. Living near Decatur makes for a great commute to work. But I will move w/in the next couple of years to benefit my daughter (and one more future child we hope). My problem is that I want it all. Safe subdivision (community pool if possible), good schools, newer house. With only about $325k to throw into this I couldn't live inside 285 and meet all those conditions. Go 30 miles from downtown and I can get it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who weighed commute vs. living environment, but I'm wondering if you made the move far from work and regretted it or feel it's worth it for your family to have great living conditions while you battle it out on the road (and spend less time at home)?

My senses come back thinking about it! I know places like Tucker would allow a better commute, but an older ranch house and not quite the community I have in mind. I'm in the Avondale school district right now and it's wretched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 06:14 AM

200 posts, read 983,137 times
Default Do you regret longer commute for a family friendly area?

Since my spouse typically works 12 hour days, we opted to live very close to where he works so we'd get to see him an extra hour (or more) each day. He now has a five minute commute, but the trade off was a private school for the kids.

As an added bonus, by living within the perimeter, I have yet to go on any of the big Atlanta highways. I love being able to take backroads everywhere I need to go.

Many thanks to this forum for recommending we live near work.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:20 AM

Private school would be nice, but it seems to be out of my range, especially if I did spend $325k on a house. One thing I didn't mention is that my work day is often closer to six hours vs. eight or more and I usually don't drive to/from work during rush hour.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:26 AM

314 posts, read 1,277,478 times
Commuting to me is a waste of life...you can't get that time back with your family, not to mentin the danger of expressway driving every day. Right now i have an hour commute and every day I lament the fact that that is an hour I do not get to play and spend time with my kids. When we move back to atlanta we are really going to try to live close to where we work so as to not miss out on anything in our kids lives!

What does Decatur lack that you can only get in the burbs??

Old 08-09-2007, 06:53 AM

61 posts, read 245,799 times
While I dont have kids yet, I do regret moving out of town to live in a nice neighborhood. While I love my new house and the peace and quite out there I feel as though I am wasting 2 hours a day/ 10 hours a week out of my life. Its very stressful and not worth it.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadgrad View Post
What does Decatur lack that you can only get in the burbs??
I live near Decatur, not in Decatur. The school district where I am is dismal. I could move three miles and be in the Decatur school district and would love it there, but we'd be taking a drop in housing quality. That is something I might be willing to do, however. There is a reason we got a gorgeous house for a good price five years ago... awful school district. I'm happy we bought this house because the equity will at least allow us to consider intown areas, but not the kind of home we currently reside in. For that, it's commuting hell.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
The way I see it, your major advantage is that you drive during non-rush hour. Do you expect this to be the norm as long as you have this job? If so, I would seriously consider taking the longer commute for the nicer home/neighborhood. Driving 25-30 miles with no traffic isn't so bad.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 AM

13 posts, read 38,372 times
I have posted a similiar question under "walk to school." Most of the people who responded being happy lived in and around Decatur. What seemed to be lacking were the responses from the suburbs. Can we assume that the suburb-lifestyle is not for us? We currently live in Clarkston in a small ranch and will have to move by the time our youngest is 3. We will either send our kids to the International Community school or use a relative's address to attend a better elementary school (in Dekalb not Decatur as Decatur likes to prosecute people.) I have found some houses in the high 200s/low 300s around Panborn Rd. that feed into Briarlake and Laurel Ridge. My fear of moving out into the suburbs it that I will be surrounded by SAHM or a non-diverse population (color, ethnicity, values, etc.) that do not accept outsiders. Are my fears justified?

Old 08-09-2007, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 22,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
I think I need some sense knocked into me. My job is downtown and that can't change. Living near Decatur makes for a great commute to work. But I will move w/in the next couple of years to benefit my daughter (and one more future child we hope). My problem is that I want it all. Safe subdivision (community pool if possible), good schools, newer house. With only about $325k to throw into this I couldn't live inside 285 and meet all those conditions. Go 30 miles from downtown and I can get it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who weighed commute vs. living environment, but I'm wondering if you made the move far from work and regretted it or feel it's worth it for your family to have great living conditions while you battle it out on the road (and spend less time at home)?

My senses come back thinking about it! I know places like Tucker would allow a better commute, but an older ranch house and not quite the community I have in mind. I'm in the Avondale school district right now and it's wretched.
My honest opinion, try Cobb County. Houses are a great value and excellent schools. Victor

Old 08-09-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor319 View Post
My honest opinion, try Cobb County. Houses are a great value and excellent schools. Victor
Thanks... you are right, but I can't stand the landlocked feeling of East Cobb. I used to live in Smyrna, near the river, but I'm not sure how schools are over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta