Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 12:06 PM

129 posts, read 362,043 times

Advertisements

I may have a job offer in Atlanta in the next few weeks. I'm hesitant to move there, so I guess I'm hoping people here can convince me otherwise.

I currently live outside of New Orleans, a city I love. I've visited Atlanta a few times, been to a couple of Braves games, the aquarium, etc. I tried to walk around downtown and never got the feeling it was a 'walkable' city. I mean, I can walk all around the French Quarter, CBD, Marigny, and other parts of New Orleans and all along the way find great bars, restaurants, shops. Did I miss that in Atlanta?

The job location is around Ellsworth Industrial Blvd NW.

I'd like to live no more than about a twenty minute drive from work, where I can walk to things in the neighborhood. Preferably where I won't get mugged. I don't know my price range yet, but I think from early talk I should try to keep rent (apt or condo or something) to as close to $1000/month as I can. If the place is in a great location and I don't have to drive often, I can probably go a little higher.

I appreciate any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
There are definitely areas of Atlanta that are walkable. In size you can't compare Atlanta to New Orleans so it is too general of a statement ask if Atlanta is walkable like New Orleans.

To begin with Atlanta does not have one primary district like New Orleans.

There are lots of in town neighborhoods where you can live and walk to local shopping, restaurants and bars (Decatur, Virginia Highlands just to start) many would be an easy commute to your employment. However you should still expect to rely on a car for primary transportation.

What type of restaurants and bars are you looking for? What type/level of diversity? Tell us more about what you like and we can offer more specific recommendations.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
There are definitely areas of Atlanta that are walkable. In size you can't compare Atlanta to New Orleans so it is too general of a statement ask if Atlanta is walkable like New Orleans.

To begin with Atlanta does not have one primary district like New Orleans.

There are lots of in town neighborhoods where you can live and walk to local shopping, restaurants and bars (Decatur, Virginia Highlands just to start) many would be an easy commute to your employment. However you should still expect to rely on a car for primary transportation.

What type of restaurants and bars are you looking for? What type/level of diversity? Tell us more about what you like and we can offer more specific recommendations.
Thanks for the response. I wonder if the fact there was only one reply is telling at all? I realize Atlanta is much larger than New Orleans, but I know nothing of different neighborhoods or areas to look at. That's part of what I'm asking, what areas/neighborhoods should I look at within range of the work area?

I don't know if I can be more specific about what I like. I'm just looking for an area where there are people on the streets and where I can walk on the weekends to have a drink and meet people. Sometimes I like dive bars sometimes I like a place where I should wear a sports coat. I definitely love live music. As far as restaurants, I'm about the same. Sometimes I want a diner, sometimes I'd like to have four star meal.

I'll have a car and don't expect to get around on public transportation, I just don't want to have to drive everywhere. That's usually one of the advantages of paying higher rent in a large city. So... can anybody provide a few areas that I should start researching? Where would you live in the city if you wanted these things?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM

461 posts, read 1,068,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailysounds View Post
Thanks for the response. I wonder if the fact there was only one reply is telling at all?
No but the question was answered, Decatur city or VAHI are good places to start. Also Inman Park. You should also look at West Midtown which is where you'll be working. There are many apartment complexes over there and most are walkable to something.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 PM

166 posts, read 325,889 times
The specific location of your job provides a challenge. It's located on the west side of the city in an area that's separated -- by the interstates and by industrial areas -- from the kinds of places you may enjoy.

I'll just second some of the previous recs: West Midtown (centered around the intersection of Howell Mill & 10th St) & Virginia Highland (North Highland Avenue & Virginia Avenue) sound like good fits. You might also try central Midtown (Peachtree Street & 10th Street). It's a little unrealistic to expect a notoriously sprawling city like Atlanta to be as walkable as a place like the French Quarter of NO. If you move here, the walkability factor would be an adjustment, but you can certainly find some nice pockets of pedestrian activity.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:06 PM

368 posts, read 539,329 times
Your work is in the "Midtown West" area (also sometimes called "the Westside" or the "Westside Design District), so Midtown is the closest area that fits what you're asking for.
If you live close to the Midtown MARTA station, your drive to work would only be about 10 minutes. If you lived near the intersection of Peachtree and 10th, for example, you can easily walk to a full-size Publix grocery story, dozens of restaurants and bars of various price ranges, Piedmont Park (a large intown park), and you'd have plenty of transit access thanks to the MARTA station which has two rail lines (red and gold) and multiple bus routes. Walkscore considers the area "very walkable":
Walk Score of 999 peachtree Atlanta GA

Pricewise, you can find a one bedroom in that area for around $700 to $1500 depending on what you're looking for.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Thanks a bunch. I'll look into the areas suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta