U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM

361 posts, read 455,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
Publix, simply because I do not like to carry a Kroger Plus Card to get the discounted price.

When I used to shop at Kroger, sometimes Kroger cashiers have been nice enough to scan their own plus card, but some have been quite strict and give me a new card and application to fill out. I must have gone through at least 4 of these, so that's why i stopped shopping there unless its after hours.
if you've given them your information beforehand, you can punch your phone number in the CC pad. (alternate ID) that's what i've been doing for years, with my parents' long defunct home phone number.

oops; just saw nast's reply. so yeah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 03:15 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,598,996 times
I'll take Kroger over Publix any day. I just think it's a lot less expensive and they usually have a much wider variety. I like how all the sale items are marked with yellow tags making it quick and easy to spot stuff. I don't even know how Publix marks their sale items. Another big plus for Kroger is the fact that the stores are open 24 hours. It's kind of annoying dodging the night stockers though. They tend to block almost every isle and don't really seem to really give a damn.

Believe it or not, I have actually known some Publix snobs who refuse to shop at Kroger unless they absolutely have to. I've always just been underwhelmed with the selection in the Publix(Publices?) I've shopped in. Honestly, some Krogers are better than others. The Ponce Kroger is pretty scary in more ways than one. Still though, the nice ones blow any Publix I've ever been in away.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM

28,189 posts, read 24,782,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I'll take Kroger over Publix any day. I just think it's a lot less expensive and they usually have a much wider variety. I like how all the sale items are marked with yellow tags making it quick and easy to spot stuff. I don't even know how Publix marks their sale items. Another big plus for Kroger is the fact that the stores are open 24 hours. It's kind of annoying dodging the night stockers though. They tend to block almost every isle and don't really seem to really give a damn.
I have to agree. Publix is excellent if you need to grab a loaf of bread or a head of lettuce, but if you're doing a major run and need greater selection and quality you've gotta hit Kroger. The newer stores such as the revamped Disco Kroger are very nearly on a par with Whole Foods.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:40 PM

28,189 posts, read 24,782,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
if you've given them your information beforehand, you can punch your phone number in the CC pad. (alternate ID) that's what i've been doing for years, with my parents' long defunct home phone number.
A word of caution. Once you sign up for a Kroger Plus card they not only have your name, rank and serial number but your entire grocery history as well. Let's say it's 11 pm and you are dying for some Cool Ranch Doritos and a bag of oatmeal raisin cookies. So you scoot up to the store and obtain the necessary items.

10 years later you are running for office and one of your major issues is that a healthy diet helps lower healthcare costs. Right in the middle of a televised debate, your opponent whips out a printout of your Kroger Plus account which she has obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.

You could argue that you only bought the cookies and Doritos because they were on sale but basically you're dead in the water. I'm just saying.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:53 PM

1,988 posts, read 3,362,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A word of caution. Once you sign up for a Kroger Plus card they not only have your name, rank and serial number but your entire grocery history as well.
Only if you use the card when making a purchase.

Quote:
10 years later you are running for office and one of your major issues is that a healthy diet helps lower healthcare costs. Right in the middle of a televised debate, your opponent whips out a printout of your Kroger Plus account which she has obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.
FOIA is only for documents and information held by the federal government. Last I looked Kroger was not owned by the government.

The use of information obtained by Kroger through use of the Kroger Plus card is controlled by the legal agreement you signed when you filled out the application. You did read that document didn't you? Yeah, me neither.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:55 PM

12,943 posts, read 19,885,336 times
On the other hand, by them tracking my buying habits, I get coupons from them every month for the items I buy often. Those items include meat and produce, so I'm willing to accept a little tracking. Kroger also sends me coupons for $$ off my total order, up to $16.00.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,520,960 times
Quote:
A word of caution. Once you sign up for a Kroger Plus card they not only have your name, rank and serial number but your entire grocery history as well. Let's say it's 11 pm and you are dying for some Cool Ranch Doritos and a bag of oatmeal raisin cookies. So you scoot up to the store and obtain the necessary items.

You could argue that you only bought the cookies and Doritos because they were on sale but basically you're dead in the water. I'm just saying.
Since people have proven themselves DUMB enough to follow this type of thinking, you're probably right. Just go to the politics forum and look at all the people stamping their feet every time Michelle Obama eats a piece of cake.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,140,068 times
Quote:

And that's exactly why I DON'T shop at Kroger. It's bad enough I have black helicopters following me and the government spraying me with contrails.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM

2,328 posts, read 3,567,384 times
Quote:
A word of caution. Once you sign up for a Kroger Plus card they not only have your name, rank and serial number but your entire grocery history as well.
There are times when I like Big Brother watching me - like when I get a coupon at checkout because they know I use that product or something similar.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,598,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Only if you use the card when making a purchase.

FOIA is only for documents and information held by the federal government. Last I looked Kroger was not owned by the government.

The use of information obtained by Kroger through use of the Kroger Plus card is controlled by the legal agreement you signed when you filled out the application. You did read that document didn't you? Yeah, me neither.
Too bad they don't sell senses of humor at Kroger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta