U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:00 PM

28,186 posts, read 24,748,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
FOIA is only for documents and information held by the federal government. Last I looked Kroger was not owned by the government.
Well, that's true, and I misspoke. Let's just say they got it through Wikileaks or by hacking Kroger's system. Grocery information is not that secure and If I'm not mistaken that has happened before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 04:05 PM

4,150 posts, read 5,755,587 times
I shop at Kroger mostly. Publix is very rare. Most of their BOGO aren't deals imho.

Prefer Kroger. Much more variety & cheaper imho. I've been to Publix to pick up stuff thats not on sale and at the prices.

Ingles is a nice alternative as well.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:00 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,024,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3! View Post
What supermarket do you think is better? Does one have better prices though? It seems like Publix and Kroger are the big supermarkets in the north ATL suburbs, are there any other good ones I should know of around Duluth, Johns Creek/Alpharetta?

Kroger, hands down. Gas is a big deciding factor.....Publix seems a bit more brightly lit but, it seems Kroger (K Roger for those in the rural areas) has more brands...couple that with gas, and the time saving filling up if planned properly and voila, better choice....

Hey, as long as you avoid most Ingles and their meager rations, you should be fine. Besides, K-Roger and Publix tend to have better pricing than the 2nd string stores....

Old 07-13-2011, 06:09 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,973,233 times
I used to work for Publix...I'll still shop there periodically, but would rather line shoot myself in the leg than work there ever again.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,596,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Kroger, hands down. Gas is a big deciding factor.....Publix seems a bit more brightly lit but, it seems Kroger (K Roger for those in the rural areas) has more brands...couple that with gas, and the time saving filling up if planned properly and voila, better choice....

Hey, as long as you avoid most Ingles and their meager rations, you should be fine. Besides, K-Roger and Publix tend to have better pricing than the 2nd string stores....
You forgot "Krogers." I remember going with my grandmother to "Krogers," "Krystals," and "K-Marts."

I forgot about the gas thing. Kroger definitely has the cheapest gas in my part of town, even without the 10 cent plus card discount.

Aldi is pretty good too. Pretty limited but dirt cheap.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,083,433 times
I have a bad experience every time I go to Krogers so I mainly stick to Publix and the farmers markets now. I am not usually picky at all and often price sensitive but nearly everytime we have gone to Krogers they run up an item at the wrong price and you have to go to customer service to return it.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM

2,206 posts, read 5,958,209 times
There are pretty strong opinions on both sides here, which leads me to conclude that individual stores vary quite a lot within chains, also that we don't all buy the same products.

Somebody commented about that the Publix BOGO offers are never for items they buy. They're not always for things we use, but often enough that I can make some good savings. I can usually stock up enough on the breakfast cereals favored by my household to last from one BOGO offer to the next, for example.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 PM

222 posts, read 602,926 times
Back when I was coppin', we picked a lot of people up at Kroger's on warrants. Employees...

Might be different outside the perimeter, but their biggest hiring base in Atlanta and Dekalb were from rehab houses and probation officers.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM

876 posts, read 1,888,398 times
To me, it depends. For some things I like Publix, while others Kroger. Publix Deli is definitely better in my opinion. I think the prices are slightly cheaper at Kroger than Publix, but the quality of the all stores varies. Over the years, I have done more Kroger shopping.

For going for the cheapest price, it has to be these 2 stores: I like the Food Depot and Aldi for some *select* groceries, but they are less convenient for me to get to at this time.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:29 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,978,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A word of caution. Once you sign up for a Kroger Plus card they not only have your name, rank and serial number but your entire grocery history as well. Let's say it's 11 pm and you are dying for some Cool Ranch Doritos and a bag of oatmeal raisin cookies. So you scoot up to the store and obtain the necessary items.

10 years later you are running for office and one of your major issues is that a healthy diet helps lower healthcare costs. Right in the middle of a televised debate, your opponent whips out a printout of your Kroger Plus account which she has obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.

You could argue that you only bought the cookies and Doritos because they were on sale but basically you're dead in the water. I'm just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta