Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I was just agreeing with Tiger84's point. I don't have the details like he does, but he make sense.
You were agreeing with him, even though you don't know what facts he's using to make his assertion?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
You were agreeing with him, even though you don't know what facts he's using to make his assertion?
You should ask him for the facts. He is the messenger.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
I would not go to an HBCU. I don't see any point in going when there are better schools in state that are cheaper.

Further, I don't understand the role of the HBCU in today's society anyway.
Of course you would not understand, because you are not black, nor do you know what it is to be black in this country, and of course you can't possibly understand what a 200 year head start in education means from the other end

It is nice to be able to go to college and not have to worry about racism in school (yes it does happen), to be taught by someone who either looks like you or at least has some understanding of what you have (or still) gone through to get there without being condescending. How would I know? I went to Hampton University and Penn State Unversity

Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
What I am saying is that Morehouse students disproportionately get into top schools because of affirmative action. It is indisputable that under-represented minorities get a HUGE bump in graduate school admissions.

This is VERY well-documented. Check out this popular website for law school applicants for an explanation. Under Represented Law Student Forum - (BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

If that isn't conclusive enough for you, go to lawschoolnumbers.com and control your searches of top law school applicants for without and exclusively with URM options.

In short, the number of Morehouse students that get into top graduate schools is a very poor indication of the educational and/or student quality at Morehouse. With you paltry 1050 incoming SAT score, you're on very very shaky ground to argue that Morehouse is a better school than Georgia Southern, much less UGA.

Please make me understand, if a person got into a university with average SAT scores but somehow manages to get their act together and does well while attending a 4 year university, regardless of the school and they get accepted into a graduate school only because they are a minority? I really don't think that your SAT scores 4-5 years ago has very little to do with anything. Maybe your GRE or LSAT scores but nothing that you did BEFORE entering undergrad

Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Did'nt Bush get into a ivy league school with a "c" average? So much for minority affirmative action

Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
^I don't think that's his argument. The avg incoming SAT is 1050, meaning just about everyone has only avg SAT scores and then he's adding in the LSAT component which he is saying isn't remarkable either but these students are then able to enter elite law schools. If Morehouse took a group of middling students and then got everyone in the class a 175 coming out, then either they're the absolutely most magnificent college in the universe or they've got a great cheating ring. Of course they aren't coming out all in the 99th percentile but still have a relatively outsized group attending elite schools which suggests that there is a URM bump or Morehouse has some magic essay writing formula that gets them past purely on intangibles.

Bigger question is can a URM get a similar opportunity attending in-state public schools. If so, then they could save a lot of money going in-state and bypassing the HBCU private school tuition.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Of course you would not understand, because you are not black, nor do you know what it is to be black in this country, and of course you can't possibly understand what a 200 year head start in education means from the other end

It is nice to be able to go to college and not have to worry about racism in school (yes it does happen), to be taught by someone who either looks like you or at least has some understanding of what you have (or still) gone through to get there without being condescending. How would I know? I went to Hampton University and Penn State Unversity
Nice to see another Hamptonian, especially since I agree with your post. Additionally, my roommate for the last two years at Hampton was white. Why did he choose to come to Hampton? First of all, he was used to a diverse environment, being from Northern Virginia, and went to a school that was about 20% black and had a group of friends that were majority black (I know as I hung out with his NOVA friends quite a few times during college), so the culture shock of HU wasn't anything he couldn't deal with. Secondly, he was brilliant and received the same Presidential Scholarship that I did due to high grades and SAT scores. Third? He didn't want to have, in his words, a "boring" college experience. He wanted to prove to himself that he could thrive outside of the box. And thrive he did, even being part of our freshman step team. Now he's finishing up his master's and preparing for his doctorate at Tulane.

I think there's plenty of white students that could do the same. However money (as many HBCUs are private) is a factor much of the time, as it is for many college students. Additionally, I think that many students just don't want to go out of their comfort zones in college (as a nod to the poster that gave the example about UGA back in the "good ole boy" days). I understand this. I went to grad school at the University of Texas, and was nowhere near as comfortable as I ended up being at HU. I could see how white students could feel the same in a situation where they are a huge minority.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:59 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Did'nt Bush get into a ivy league school with a "c" average? So much for minority affirmative action
Bush still had a 1200+ SAT(pre-recentering) which would still get him into UGA today. Also, SAT scores at top schools weren't nearly as high as they are today suggesting they've moved to become far more egalitarian. Most schools avg'd around 1250-1300.

SAT Scores from 1960:
LIFE - Google Books

Of course he was a 3rd generation Yalie whose grandfather was the outgoing US Senator of Connecticut. Also, he went to an exclusive private school so he very well could have had a perfect 4.0 in HS. That's the fun of legacy admissions. No doubt the opposite of affirmative action but that's a decreasing component of all Ivys at this point given they're usually only ~60% white at this point. Bush could have gone to Ozarks Community College and still gone on to run the world w/ a pedigree like that. Average middle class kids that go to Ivys aren't handed the same opportunities anyway. Read up on Skull and Bones etc for how to get real inside advantages.

How many schools outside the Ivys have any real legacy admissions today? Should HBCUs partake in similar strategies? Is there some special magic these schools have beyond tight-knit alumni in high places?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:01 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Hilarious. So therefore all mainstream views (with which you dont agree) are nazi-esque....a magnificent argument, no doubt....

Why are there no other "world class" HBC/universities anywhere else in the entire world? Why isnt there a single top notch university in a predominantly black country? Answer: Because of racism, obviously...

Europe, Great Britain, Japan, China, India, Korea, all have at least a few, if not many, world class universities.

Of course, the top schools in South Africa were all founded and built by the "colonizers".
col·o·nize (kl-nz)
v. col·o·nized, col·o·niz·ing, col·o·niz·es
v.tr.
1. To form or establish a colony or colonies in.
2. To migrate to and settle in; occupy as a colony.
3. To resettle or confine (persons) in or as if in a colony.
4. To subjugate (a population) to or as if to a colonial government.
v.intr.
1. To form or establish a colony.
2. To settle in a colony or colonies.

"Setting a standard in which figures of authority create providing restrictions on a certain people which then subjugates said group of people to inferior status by constant raping, pillaging,resettling and denying freedoms of expression,movement,and thought therefore plunging generations into years of turmoil and despair to the point that the greatness of said peoples ancestors was forgotten by them and also by those in authority.:
"COLONIZERS"
Nothing civilized or romantic about that world.Africa ,the birthplace of all mankind.The birthplace of the first writing.The birthplace of the worlds largest 3 religions

Really what world universities ranked highly in China,Korea,India,etc? ANd is this really a statement about whether their is black achievement?If you ask me the fact that black people are as normal and resilient in spite of such an orchestrated attempt by European society to decimate it, is a testament itself.It should be telling to you that NO other race has been attacked degraded and yet emulated and derived so much from to mold with European success to reach even higher potential by taking much of it from Africans and Africa.
Diamonds,Gold and Silver.Thats what started it all.Later it was blood,sweat and tears.Who else but the builders of the Great Zimbabwe and the Pyramids of Giza could build the colonizers into world powers?

Last time I looked on the campus of Georgia Tech it was more ethnic than ever!Africans,then Asians have the highest educational attainmement in American higher education as well as in primary education.You seem to have a lot of knowledge and facts yet seems you neglect what actually is relevant today.Bringing up a past that you are not even aware of.

Ever hear of Kush and Nubia?Like someone else mentioned ;Timbuktu?
Truth is its a fact that European historians/Scientist have traditionally given credence to the notion that blacks are inferior.(I.E. Cecil Rhodes)
They have tried to mnimize the role of Africans.

Were those early European colonizers really "civilized"?Sure if you call raping, pillaging,stealing etc civilization.
Heres an idea:For every naive person that thinks like you,lets grab you,take you away from your family and blind fold you,then drop you off in Nigeria or Ghana or any African country .We wont even worry about enslaving you.Lets see how well you will survive.How smart would you be then?

Save you drivel for someone that does not know any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta