Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:45 PM

257 posts, read 470,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
You do realize that outside of a select few, your comprehensive research institutions are from the big 6 conferences right? I live in Indianapolis, within 40 minutes of Purdue and IU, two of the top universities on the planet along with the rest of the Big 10 schools and believe you me, Butler (LAS) in which Morehouse would be on par with gets a lot of respect from these two universities. Keep in mind to kill two birds with one stone; Butler is known for accepting "B" students yet, it's one of the best universities with a top tier Fine Arts, Business and Pharmacy. Morehouse is no different than Butler accept for the demographic makeup and emphasis on different majors. Don't knock LAS colleges because there are some really good ones.
You do realize that the undergrad institution that a person attends usually has zero impact on graduate school admissions decisions, right? I'm not knocking liberal arts schools. I'm saying that limiting a ranking to liberal arts schools only cuts out a lot of schools from the equation.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
What I am saying is that Morehouse students disproportionately get into top schools because of affirmative action. It is indisputable that under-represented minorities get a HUGE bump in graduate school admissions.

This is VERY well-documented. Check out this popular website for law school applicants for an explanation. Under Represented Law Student Forum - (BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
That is an interesting site. The lecture by Dr. Johnson is consistent with what we ran into.

Still, I think you have to evaluate a school based on a lot more than just how well the students do on standardized tests. Morehouse has been around a long time and I have never heard of anyone who went there who wasn't extremely successful in life.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
What you're ignoring is that traditional universities work hard to recruit minority students as well. My undergrad was 24% black and it was just a regular university. Often these institutions go out of their way to recruit minority students (not always for the right reasons) by offering them scholarships on top of what Georgia students already get with HOPE.
As one who graduated from a public predominantly White university in SC with a relatively high minority enrollment rate of around the same percentage, while achieving such a number was good, one of the downsides is that you tended to not see that level of recruitment when it comes to faculty.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
It's not the status of being a historically black university that I'm talking about here, but the status of staying a black university. I don't see why we should have any university that is mostly black, white, or any other color specifically.
There's little one can do to influence personal choice when it comes to this--hence, this thread. Let's face it; there are institutions and organizations in our society that will continue to have a racial component to them due to history, legacy, tradition, and personal preference. I don't think that's inherently a bad thing myself.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That is an interesting site. The lecture by Dr. Johnson is consistent with what we ran into.

Still, I think you have to evaluate a school based on a lot more than just how well the students do on standardized tests. Morehouse has been around a long time and I have never heard of anyone who went there who wasn't extremely successful in life.
Again, as I have said, Morehouse has great employment prospects. But those great employment prospects don't necessarily reflect on the quality of the school/students. And I will concede that standardized tests are not the only measure of the likelihood of success, but we don't have much else to compare.

As far as the superior education being a reason why corporations hire from HBCUs, I think Howard Law School is a pretty good example to refute that. While Howard has great employment prospects, their bar passage rates are atrocious. I'm using law school's because it's the most complete example for comparison. Most of the undergrad kids don't have to take a test to begin their profession. https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/SchoolsABAData/SchoolPage/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA5297.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
Its not about what you are, but whose side on the philosophical tilt you are on.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:19 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:

I concur. Every Morehouse graduate I've met seems to have their head on straight which I can't really say for a lot of my fellow GSU grads. I wouldn't pass it up if there was a decent scholarship involved.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:28 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Again, as I have said, Morehouse has great employment prospects. But those great employment prospects don't necessarily reflect on the quality of the school/students. And I will concede that standardized tests are not the only measure of the likelihood of success, but we don't have much else to compare.
Well, it's possible that these employers have simply made the decision that it's more important to get these young Morehouse men out into the work force and let them do their thing rather than dithering about grade point averages and test scores.

Who pays attention to that stuff once somebody has been on the job for six months anyway?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Well, it's possible that these employers have simply made the decision that it's more important to get these young Morehouse men out into the work force and let them do their thing rather than dithering about grade point averages and test scores.

Who pays attention to that stuff once somebody has been on the job for six months anyway?
Possible, but unlikely. Maybe that could explain Morehouse. How about Howard law school? Is it likely that the generally prestige-obsessed huge law firms that recruit mostly from Duke and up, and only take the very top students from even tier one schools have some how figured out that the students at Howard with low LSAT scores and low GPAs who do terribly on the test that they have to take to enter the profession are better lawyers?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:49 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
What I am saying is that Morehouse students disproportionately get into top schools because of affirmative action. It is indisputable that under-represented minorities get a HUGE bump in graduate school admissions.

This is VERY well-documented. Check out this popular website for law school applicants for an explanation. Under Represented Law Student Forum - (BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)

If that isn't conclusive enough for you, go to lawschoolnumbers.com and control your searches of top law school applicants for without and exclusively with URM options.

In short, the number of Morehouse students that get into top graduate schools is a very poor indication of the educational and/or student quality at Morehouse. With you paltry 1050 incoming SAT score, you're on very very shaky ground to argue that Morehouse is a better school than Georgia Southern, much less UGA.
You mean like this? At the elite colleges - dim white kids - The Boston Globe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta