Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 02:03 AM

28 posts, read 54,742 times

Advertisements

Here's my dilemma. I'm originally from New Orleans but lived in Atlanta for 7 years before moving to Prague (central Europe) 16 years ago. Now, I'm making plans to move back to the US. I can go just about anywhere (I think) but here are my top choices so far.

Some background. I've been in real estate all my life - mostly corporate and specialized in distressed asset management and brokerage. I have a GA license but never actually worked in/for an agency. Always more corporate level work (insurance company, FDIC, RTC). But in Prague I was part of an upstart residential agency that was very successful. Now, 16 years later the Prague market has nosedived and there's nothing here and won't be for years to come. I'm bored silly. I"m 55 but can't sit still waiting for recovery PLUS the market here has swung to a local market rather than investors coming from UK, Ireland, USA etc which was the core of my business.

So I'm considering (1) Atlanta to look for a corporate job in distressed work outs, etc; (2) South Beach because there are so many Europeans looking to buy property in South Florida; or (3) New Orleans because it's "home" and I think I could be comfortable there doing agency work (resi I guess).

Atlanta is interesting because there's a corporate base there. I still have many friends there and a brother with whom I'm close. I see problems however getting back into the corporate world since I've been away so long.

South Beach is interesting because - well, it's South Beach. Nice lifestyle etc but I don't speak Spanish and that seems to be a negative.

NOLA is interesting because, like South Beach, it has a nice lifestyle for someone older who might not be accepted in the corporate world after 16 years away.

Anyone have any thoughts on all of this? Not sure I've posted in the right place so I apologize if I'm in the wrong place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 03:00 AM

449 posts, read 1,173,512 times
Me, being 26, I can't personally speak on which environment is better for an elderly person.

Honestly, North Miami Beach, seems to be more of relaxing location for someone over 50.

Cost-wise, I believe Atl is the cheapest. The only part of N.O. that I'm familiar with is the French Quarter so I can't really speak on Louisiana

Old 08-01-2011, 05:20 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,629,748 times
Unless you have a large nest egg saved up, I think I would go were I could make the best living. New Orleans is the most interesting to me, because of the rebirth after Katrina, but I don't think it is necessarily the easiest place to live.

The Atlanta Commercial Real Estate market is in the tank and I wonder how easy it will be to get a job, given the very high number of commercial real estate folks already here.

I think you are spot on about who is buying in South Beach and if you think you can build on your experience there, it might be a great choice.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:31 AM

23,389 posts, read 43,914,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Me, being 26, I can't personally speak on which environment is better for an elderly person.

Honestly, North Miami Beach, seems to be more of relaxing location for someone over 50.

Cost-wise, I believe Atl is the cheapest. The only part of N.O. that I'm familiar with is the French Quarter so I can't really speak on Louisiana
When did 55 become 'elderly? I need to go take a lie-down.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:37 AM

32,007 posts, read 36,658,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Really. For most people 55 is just hitting the peak of your powers.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,027,678 times
Quote:
Uh oh. My clock is ticking...

Old 08-02-2011, 01:50 PM

10,739 posts, read 13,326,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Uh oh. My clock is ticking...
Well, be happy it's ticking. I have to wind mine way too often these days.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:22 PM

8,474 posts, read 14,946,059 times
Quote:
You just took the words right out of my mouth even though have a couple of decades to go before then.

For the OP

Atlanta would probably be a good bet in your line of work. We're still feeling the effects of the recession (as is Miami) in your line of work, but we at least have a much larger corporate base here and you will likely find work from what I hear from friends in that industry.

New Orleans would also not be a bad choice either both for your work and, as someone who lived overseas for a few years, there is great satisfaction in returning to your hometown after being away for so long in another culture/country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: