U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,984,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
i am done with this thread. you people have no respect for others opinions. you claim to be southern, but i would have thought i was in the nyc thread based on such rude reactions. we all have a common thread, a love for atlanta and a desire to see the NEW ATLANTA acknowledged and accepted. I think you people need to do some major inward evaluations and reflect on how you choose to treat others.

Basically you are threatened by change. you see Atlanta changing before your eyes and you hate it. you hate it that Hollywood thinks its cool and that its not a bunch of wanna-be Southerners. that its a safe, international, green city that also happens to be the "it" city right now. you want atlanta to be the status quo and are pulling out every weapon you have to keep it that way.
The problem kirkwood is that you started making demeaning references to people over thirty and those who live outside the perimeter. I have no problem with the recent Kathryn Heigl (sp.) movie, as to an extent it is somewhat accurate for some areas of town. My point was that the southern accent is still very much alive in most of metro Atlanta. I can tell you that I notice a distinct difference between the typical person in Kennesaw or Smyrna as opposed to east Cobb when it comes to accents. That is, you see a greater percentage of native southerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 AM
JPD

7,682 posts, read 7,738,823 times
Quote:
I think you people need to do some major inward evaluations and reflect on how you choose to treat others.
That's funny. Was it not YOU who bragged about making fun of people whose voices don't sound the same as yours? But WE are the ones who should treat others with respect? Please.

Maybe if you don't die of an overdose of hipness you'll grow up one day and realize how lame it is to make fun of people.

For what it's worth, I have almost always agreed with your posts on this forum, but in this thread you are making an enormous ass of yourself.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:50 AM

14,347 posts, read 8,882,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I can attest to this. I remember being in a room full of people from the New York City area and thinking, "Damn is this what I really sound like? I do have an accent." Yet when I'm down here people do not seem to hear that I have an accent.
Of course it could be that those people up in New York have their own accent.

The problem is that "Southern" is one of those dialects that has become stigmatized as substandard, stupid, uneducated, etc. I can't began to count the number of TV shows that have stereotyped and ridiculed people from the South.

Somehow that's considered okay.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:05 AM

4,476 posts, read 2,721,081 times
Quote:
WOW, um, SERIOUSLY? Im really getting tired of people trying to attack me. Do you really think cool can be explained??? I dont have an attitude--im just completely fed up with having to explain myself to people like you. i have proven myself on this site and have the rep points to prove it. you have NO idea what you are talking about.
Really, hoss? Be careful what you start. I've enjoyed your posts in the past, but insulting people isn't gonna get you respect, admiration or lead folks to you're cool. And this time, your insults are simply making you sound uneducated, ignorant and unintelligent. All the things you were attributing to others. And, given your numerous other comments in the forum, I don't think that's true at all. But, I can tell you, you are certainly not cool today.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 AM

12,711 posts, read 18,647,948 times
Quote:
No, it would be their problem. they are the ones who sound out of place in 21st century Atlanta.

And im guessing your Aunt is not gen-y. And what does graduating top of her class mean? we dont care how smart you are - if you have a thick drawl, expect to be made fun of if you are in your 20s in Atlanta.
No, she isn't 'gen-y'; neither am I. I'm beginning to see that as a blessing.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:46 AM

1,504 posts, read 2,291,352 times
Quote:
i am done with this thread.
The 'new" Atlanta, huh?

I read this entire thread. The majority I read in disbelief. 'Cool' is a state of being. It has nothing to do with locale or accents. To think otherwise is patently uncool.
'Cool' is similar to wisdom in my book. Not exactly, mind you, but it is as close to a synonym as I can come up with.
For some, wisdom comes early, for some, well, it shows up later in life. For some, well, they live the antonym's of wisdom (insert cool) ...which, for the record, are stupidity and ignorance.

(For those who get it ... you know it. For those that don't ... you never will.)

Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,864,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
The 'new" Atlanta, huh?

I read this entire thread. The majority I read in disbelief. 'Cool' is a state of being. It has nothing to do with locale or accents. To think otherwise is patently uncool.
'Cool' is similar to wisdom in my book. Not exactly, mind you, but it is as close to a synonym as I can come up with.
For some, wisdom comes early, for some, well, it shows up later in life. For some, well, they live the antonym's of wisdom (insert cool) ...which, for the record, are stupidity and ignorance.

(For those who get it ... you know it. For those that don't ... you never will.)
To paraphrase Yoda: Cool or not cool. There is no try. Cool is a personality trait, not a look or a certain lifestyle. It's also a marketing concept that millions of people fall for every day.

As far as "Hipsters," they are cultural vampires. They take various looks, mannerisms, and artistic elements from other subcultures and try to incorporate them into their own style(usually is a thinly disguised attempt to ridicule the subculture they are mimicking...i.e. trucker hats and hair metal). They haven't created any new form of art or literature and pat themselves on the back for "inventing" things like mashups, food trucks, organic farmers markets...

The women, a good percentage at least, dress hideously on purpose. Some of them try to make themselves as unattractive as possible. The ones who are actually attractive are usually covered with full-sleeve and chest tattoos(ruining themselves in my opinion) and usually act incredibly stuck up to non-hipsters.

The men are usually skinny(yet extremely non-athletic) but some intentionally cultivate an "ironic" beer gut. A lot have civil war beards and work as freelance graphic designers.

As far as accents go, good-natured ribbing is one thing. Actually ridiculing someone for how they talk is another. I could care less about someone's accent if they are genuinely "cool." In fact, I may be more likely to initiate conversation if I notice someone has a distinct accent(not just southern). Anybody who is so completely turned off by a southern accent really has no business being in the south.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 AM

4,476 posts, read 2,721,081 times
Okay, to add some levity to this thread, this IS cool in a Southern sort of way!

‪Best prayer EVER! Pastor Joe Nelms - Nascar Nationwide - Nashville, TN‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 AM

1,504 posts, read 2,291,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Okay, to add some levity to this thread, this IS cool in a Southern sort of way!

‪Best prayer EVER! Pastor Joe Nelms - Nascar Nationwide - Nashville, TN‬‏ - YouTube

Amen. Preach it Brother!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,019,559 times
Quote:
Um yeah I dnt beleive you. Based on your posts, you would not be even acknowledged if you stepped foot on the eastside.
I could give a damn whether you believe me or not, kid.

Quote:
last time I checked, chamblee dunwoody rd is BARELY itp. You may live ITP but your philosophy on life does not fit it. move OTP where you belong,
I don't know where this is coming from, but I live nowhere near Chamblee-Dunwoody Rd, and I most certainly fit into my neighborhood of over 16 years. If anybody needs to be moving, it's you. Get the hell out and move to Brooklyn - you'll fit in in Williamsburg quite nicely, I'm afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta