U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,706,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Did you consider "Matlock" and "Designing Women" hick?
In a way, yes. I was born and raised here, yet I have no accent. Neither do any of my friends. Of course we use the word "ya'll", which would likely lead people from up north to think we had an accent. But most Southerners would agree that any drawl we have is slight. In my experience, the only people who have as dramatic of a drawl as the characters of those two shows are small-town folk, not people born and raised in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Box

381 posts, read 327,217 times
[quote=BringBackCobain;20081620]
Quote:
NeNe doesn't even know who her dad is, and her language alone speaks volumes of her background.
So if you're born not knowing who your father is then you're automatically going to be ghetto forever?

Quote:

Have you even listened to the lyrics of these songs? They are not the innocent "party anthems". In "Welcome to Atlanta", the chorus sings of how great it is to see "gangstas roamin" in the city. Ludacris talks of his talent in being able to murder someone yet still keep the blood of his sneakers, in addition to bragging about getting away with theft, robbery, and grand larceny. In "F.I.L.A.", Lil' Scrappy speaks of "n***as on the block wit the rock" and how Atlanta crackheads don't sleep.
Doesn't change the fact that people still associate this song with Atlanta's party lifestyle, which like I said before attracts people from all over the world. Really, what's the difference between CERTAIN PARTS of this song and "I shot the sheriff" "Hey Joe" and "I shot a man in Reno"?

Quote:
Wow, is this for real?
Yes. It is for real.

Quote:

You are confusing knowing a song and liking it from actually forming a positive opinion on the subject of the song's lyrics. I was in high school when "Welcome to Atlanta" came out, and I will admit that I liked it, and so did all my friends. But I do remember thinking that it made Atlanta sound awfully ghetto, especially when experienced in tandem with the music video.
I use to hate the song with a passion when it came out, and while it has grown on me somewhat, that doesn't change the fact that you got kids from Germany singing Lil Jon songs and wanting to come to Atlanta.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:50 AM

2,397 posts, read 2,116,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
In a way, yes. I was born and raised here, yet I have no accent. Neither do any of my friends. Of course we use the word "ya'll", which would likely lead people from up north to think we had an accent. But most Southerners would agree that any drawl we have is slight. In my experience, the only people who have as dramatic of a drawl as the characters of those two shows are small-town folk, not people born and raised in Atlanta.
My parents, born and raised in the actual city of Atlanta, have noticeable drawls.

I grew up in the suburbs and have a southern accent, though it's a light southern accent.

Southern isn't hick. Hick simply means a person from the country. I don't like to use it, though, because it's often used as a pejorative.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
So I am of two minds about this:

Frame of mind #1

It is annoying that "Hollywood" (and the media in general) in the past has been unable to decide on whether Atlanta is Mayberry with skyscrapers or Baltimore with skyscrapers. It's extremely annoying that you would only see Atlanta's rough side or it's "simple random small town" Southern city where thick Scarlett O'hara-esque accents abound. The worst offender (or the one that pisses me off the most) is the Closer. There is that constant ridiculous accent that the main characther has that is supposed to be an "Atlanta accent", but in one episode they chased a suspect (A redneck of course) from Los Angeles to his home in Chamblee. Once there Chambleee had a "Sheriff" complete with a wide brimmed Southern Sheriff hat, think drawl, and that functioning idiot intelligence that "Hollywood" seems to think infects every single White Southerner. Oh, and there wasn't a single Latino in sight in an entire episode set in Chamblee. Is that even possible?

Another pet peeve is that in the general "media", all black folks in Atlanta are either: a) From the hood and there for life. b) From the hood, but got out. c) From the hood, but acts like they aren't until they are discovered to be. d.) Not from the hood, but acts like they are to be cool. Common themes revolving around these character types are: a) Escaping the hood. b)Trying to do good in the hood. c) Wacky "hood elder" d) Wacky hood crackhead (oh those funny crackheads).

Essentially, in most media Atlanta plays the role of a backdrop for generic stereotypical "urban" Black folks and stereotypical Southern White folks waiting for the South to rise again. Until recently they ignored the fact that there are tens of thousands of educated, middle class, white collar, yuppie (or not), urbane white and black folks here. Forget about ever seeing Latinos or Asians (except Asians in hood based movies where they own a corner store or hair shop) as to them Atlanta could not possibly have more than a few of them (running corner stores, hair shops, and gas stations of course) and forget about it being a destination for foreign immigrants. Basically to them Atlanta is the shiny skyscraper version of the South where things like lattes and bagels are funny sounding "fureign" words.

It's annoying as ****, but it has been changing.
Agreed.

Quote:
Frame of mind #2

Also annoying are those who think that the media should just ignore Southern Black and White folks. They do exist in modern Atlanta and their story is just as important as anyone elses thank you very much. No one should ever have to feel ashamed about being Southern. I wear it as a badge of pride and so should you. We would make ourselves look like fools if we went around acting like we need to surgically remove the history of the peoples that made this city what it is.
I disagree. There are regional-specific people in every city, yet you rarely see them fictionalized in a motion picture. Why does Atlanta have to be the exception?

Quote:
One very annoying thing from the OP was the idea that transplants made this city international, progressive on race matters, and the modern metropolis it is. That's nothing bull-you-know-what. Southerners (proud Southerners at that) such as Martin Luther King, Jimmy Carter, Billy Payne, Ted Turner and more people than can be named did that. The idea that some potato sacking wearing hipster from the Pacific Northwest made this place what it is (in the last 10 years no less) is as ridiculous as it is offensive to all of the people who work hard to make this place what it is.
Transplants have contributed a great deal to this city (even those damn hispters), and without them, it would be nothing. They deserve some recognition for that.

Quote:
Frame of mind #3

I am also annoyed by this meme in the media about Atlanta's rise as a movie/tv series making hotspot is that it stands in as "Anytown, USA" as if Atlanta is generic enough to be anywhere in the country. This is also BS. We have one of the most unique cities in the country and it is rarely ever showed or believed. I can't count how many times I've had inlaws or people I met elsewhere in town and they utter phrase "Whoa, I didn't know Atlanta had all of this"
I think the point is more that Atlanta is generic enough to be the backdrop of a movie whose storyline is not dependent on its plot setting. Chicago stands in as "Anycity, USA" in tons of movies. The Change-Up could have been set there, and it would have been the same exact movie. Same with Life as We Know It.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 PM

2,397 posts, read 2,116,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I think the point is more that Atlanta is generic enough to be the backdrop of a movie whose storyline is not dependent on its plot setting. Chicago stands in as "Anycity, USA" in tons of movies. The Change-Up could have been set there, and it would have been the same exact movie. Same with Life as We Know It.
Do you really believe that without transplants Atlanta would be "nothing"? Sure, the population would be smaller, but Atlanta would still be an important city.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,092,603 times
Quote:
Do you really believe that without transplants Atlanta would be "nothing"? Sure, the population would be smaller, but Atlanta would still be an important city.
I don't believe that BBC meant, literally, "nothing." He is right though that transplants have assisted a great deal in making Atlanta a very important city nationally and an important city internationally.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 PM

8,713 posts, read 12,337,772 times
Quote:

Frame of mind #1

It is annoying that "Hollywood" (and the media in general) in the past has been unable to decide on whether Atlanta is Mayberry with skyscrapers or Baltimore with skyscrapers. It's extremely annoying that you would only see Atlanta's rough side or it's "simple random small town" Southern city where thick Scarlett O'hara-esque accents abound. The worst offender (or the one that pisses me off the most) is the Closer. There is that constant ridiculous accent that the main characther has that is supposed to be an "Atlanta accent", but in one episode they chased a suspect (A redneck of course) from Los Angeles to his home in Chamblee. Once there Chambleee had a "Sheriff" complete with a wide brimmed Southern Sheriff hat, think drawl, and that functioning idiot intelligence that "Hollywood" seems to think infects every single White Southerner. Oh, and there wasn't a single Latino in sight in an entire episode set in Chamblee. Is that even possible?

Another pet peeve is that in the general "media", all black folks in Atlanta are either: a) From the hood and there for life. b) From the hood, but got out. c) From the hood, but acts like they aren't until they are discovered to be. d.) Not from the hood, but acts like they are to be cool. Common themes revolving around these character types are: a) Escaping the hood. b)Trying to do good in the hood. c) Wacky "hood elder" d) Wacky hood crackhead (oh those funny crackheads).

Essentially, in most media Atlanta plays the role of a backdrop for generic stereotypical "urban" Black folks and stereotypical Southern White folks waiting for the South to rise again. Until recently they ignored the fact that there are tens of thousands of educated, middle class, white collar, yuppie (or not), urbane white and black folks here. Forget about ever seeing Latinos or Asians (except Asians in hood based movies where they own a corner store or hair shop) as to them Atlanta could not possibly have more than a few of them (running corner stores, hair shops, and gas stations of course) and forget about it being a destination for foreign immigrants. Basically to them Atlanta is the shiny skyscraper version of the South where things like lattes and bagels are funny sounding "fureign" words.

Frame of mind #2

Also annoying are those who think that the media should just ignore Southern Black and White folks. They do exist in modern Atlanta and their story is just as important as anyone elses thank you very much. No one should ever have to feel ashamed about being Southern. I wear it as a badge of pride and so should you. We would make ourselves look like fools if we went around acting like we need to surgically remove the history of the peoples that made this city what it is.

One very annoying thing from the OP was the idea that transplants made this city international, progressive on race matters, and the modern metropolis it is. That's nothing bull-you-know-what. Southerners (proud Southerners at that) such as Martin Luther King, Jimmy Carter, Billy Payne, Ted Turner and more people than can be named did that. The idea that some potato sacking wearing hipster from the Pacific Northwest made this place what it is (in the last 10 years no less) is as ridiculous as it is offensive to all of the people who work hard to make this place what it is.

Frame of mind #3

I am also annoyed by this meme in the media about Atlanta's rise as a movie/tv series making hotspot is that it stands in as "Anytown, USA" as if Atlanta is generic enough to be anywhere in the country. This is also BS. We have one of the most unique cities in the country and it is rarely ever showed or believed. I can't count how many times I've had inlaws or people I met elsewhere in town and they utter phrase "Whoa, I didn't know Atlanta had all of this"

Absolutely perfect post.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
My parents, born and raised in the actual city of Atlanta, have noticeable drawls.

I grew up in the suburbs and have a southern accent, though it's a light southern accent.

Southern isn't hick. Hick simply means a person from the country. I don't like to use it, though, because it's often used as a pejorative.
Well, what subrub (as in, how far out), and how old are you? I was born and raised in Dunwoody and Norcross, and I am 24. My friends are also natives and were raised around transplants in places like Brookhaven, East Cobb, Buckhead, and Alpharetta, and none of them have accents. It may be a different story for someone from a place like Hiram or Buford. Also, I have noticed that many baby boomer Atlantans have accents, even if they are from Buckhead.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Do you consider Birmingham "something"? Because that is about what Atlanta would be if it wasn't for transplants.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 PM

77 posts, read 104,283 times
Quote:

Frame of mind #1

Frame of mind #2

Frame of mind #3

And don't get me started on Mississippi. Every movie seems to show a country, barefooted, black person with torn up clothes who can barely speak passable English in some kind of conflict with a white, rednecked hillbilly whose political, racial and social views were the norm during the GILDED AGE. And there's always some kind of moral play going on, be it "Mississippi Burning", "Ghosts of Mississippi", "A Time to Kill", or even with children (see: "The War" with Elijah Wood).

Dare I tell anyone that my black relatives in Mississippi are largely middle-class, educated, and have modern technologies, lest a scandal erupt here in the Midwest. Growing up in Iowa, you have the aforementioned stereotypes foisted upon you everyday, whether by teachers, professors, or journalists. But a funny thing occured to me as I got older, and traveled more: I noticed that whites that I encountered in Mississippi (in general), and elsewhere in the South were less racist and more down-to-earth than these so-called liberal and "open-minded" Midwesterners...lol. Yes, so open minded that Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, and St. Louis are amongst the most segregated cities in the nation, but I digress.

I always tend to notice that people from my region---and the NE and Western U.S. by extension---tend to ramble a bit on CD about the racism of fill-in-the-blank city in the South. How everyone just says the darndest things when it comes to race and ethnicity. But I look at it from a different angle. The South isn't more racist than the North---Iowa and Minnesota have the highest black incarceration and poverty rates rates in the nation. Nope, the South is very REAL, and that realness on matters of race bothers a lot of transplants, because they have been taught in many areas (especially the Midwest and West Coast) to hold hands and sing "Kumbaya" and pretend that we all love each other, which is obviously far from the truth. Basically, I tend to notice that Southern people---natives, not transplants---will generally say what they mean, and mean what they say. So, in general, you don't have to wonder why you are hearing rumors that Todd is calling you the "N" word behind your back, even though Todd was at your barbecue last weekend. LOL

Last edited by Squeaky2012; 07-19-2011 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta