U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM

24 posts, read 59,969 times

Advertisements

Hey, y'all. First of all, I'm new to the forum, so bear with me. For anyone who's been to Atlanta, they know the traffic is horrible (the worst in the nation outside of LA). This is because so many people live in the suburbs, the majority of which commute to the city each and every day for work. This creates a big traffic problem. Any alternate routes? Not really. Atlanta's street system is very irregular, so avoiding the interstates and freeways is not very feasible there. I've lived there about 10 years ago, and intend to move there next year to attend Georgia Tech. Anyway, I think that a great way to ease traffic congestion is by expanding MARTA rapid transit throughout the metro area. I made this map of a HUGE MARTA expansion. In it, I tried to connect all of the main suburbs, neighborhoods, and important locations in the city to one another. I also incorporated some blighted areas to encourage redevelopment.

Currently, MARTA has 38 stations and 4 lines. My plan has 120 stations and 9 lines. What additional stations need to be created? What about any that are not needed? I'm just looking for opinions and any ways this plan can be improved. Thanks

Here is the link to it: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...wYjAz&hl=en_US

Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,349,543 times
Cool!

Just so you know, next time search the forum just in case a similar topic has already been started...and here is that thread:

Design Your Own MARTA Expansion

You should definitely post this design there.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 PM

24 posts, read 59,969 times
Alright thanks for the tip. I will.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 PM

864 posts, read 853,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cest524 View Post
Hey, y'all. First of all, I'm new to the forum, so bear with me. For anyone who's been to Atlanta, they know the traffic is horrible (the worst in the nation outside of LA). This is because so many people live in the suburbs, the majority of which commute to the city each and every day for work. This creates a big traffic problem. Any alternate routes? Not really. Atlanta's street system is very irregular, so avoiding the interstates and freeways is not very feasible there. I've lived there about 10 years ago, and intend to move there next year to attend Georgia Tech. Anyway, I think that a great way to ease traffic congestion is by expanding MARTA rapid transit throughout the metro area. I made this map of a HUGE MARTA expansion. In it, I tried to connect all of the main suburbs, neighborhoods, and important locations in the city to one another. I also incorporated some blighted areas to encourage redevelopment.

Currently, MARTA has 38 stations and 4 lines. My plan has 120 stations and 9 lines. What additional stations need to be created? What about any that are not needed? I'm just looking for opinions and any ways this plan can be improved. Thanks

Here is the link to it: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...wYjAz&hl=en_US

You need to lurk moar. There is transit tax to be voted on next year.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:37 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,618,227 times
As has been pointed out, please do a search before posting, as the MARTA topic in a thousand forms has been discussed before. Add to existing discussions if they exist, before creating a new one. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or