Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 PM

5 posts, read 25,356 times

Advertisements

I have a question about some of the private schools around Atlanta?
We have been mainly looking in the burbs specifically Sugarloaf and Country Club of the South.
The schools we are interested in are:
Pace Academy: bus picks up in ccos
Wesleyan School: bus picks up in ccos
Woodward: bus picks up in ccos and across the street from sugarloaf
Greater Atl Christian: bus picks up in ccos and sugarloaf
Kings Ridge Christian: no bus
Mount Pisgah Christian: no bus
Pinecrest Academy: They have portable classrooms it looks like! I cannot imagine paying for a private school with portables. No bus.

Our Children:
11 year old daughter: very smart, plays tennis and cheer.
8 year old son: normal intelligence(requires structure), plays tennis, golf and lacrosse.
7 year old son: Has Autism(smart, but has problems making friends) plays soccer.

Are the Christian Schools very evangelical? We are United Methodist, but we do not regularly attend church(we go when it is convenient).

We are also now looking at Ansley Park and Buckhead/ Sandy Springs ITP, so if you have school suggestion for that case but if we went that ways we
would only be interested in Pace, Woodward. And the other ITP schools. We use public schools in NY so I am new to this whole process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Why would you not consider public schools here?

If I were using an intown private schools, and was in the process of moving, I would only live intown. Pace, etc have mostly students from intown, though there are a small percentage who live further out.

There isn't much mainstreaming in ATL's private schools, so unless your son can do school without much support, you may find he can't be admitted or is needs won't be met at the school. Woodward has a transition programs (extra $) that supports kids transitioning from ATL's schools for students with learning disabilities. I don't know if they accommodate children with autism and they are designed to be short term.

Woodward Academy: Academics » Transition Learning Support

My impression of at least King Ridge and GAC is that they are very religious. Can't speak to Mt. Pisgah and Pinecrest is Catholic I believe.

King's Ridge is very small as is Mt. Pisgah.

I was speaking with a parent yesterday about how few real options there are for smart kids with challenges. How high functioning is your child?

Keep in mind that while many private schools talk about diversity, they aren't really talking about disabilities, but rather economic and racial diversity. They aren't truly diverse when it comes to learning styles or academics.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:42 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
School near CCOS are top notch - have you considered staying in Public schools.

I have heard from family and friends that have children with challenges, the public schools system is better equipped and setup than the private schools since by law they have to educate all children. Unless the school has a specific program for children with autism you, I would encourage you to at least consider the public schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta