U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:25 PM

29,247 posts, read 26,177,667 times

Advertisements

I thought he was very impressive.

Michael Vick, Animal Rights Activist, Seeks Redemption - Michael Vick - Fox Nation

Old 07-20-2011, 04:04 PM

10,003 posts, read 9,279,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I saw that as well. Hopefully it is sincere - I tend to believe he his and that something good will come out of that tragedy at the end of the day.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 PM

449 posts, read 986,198 times
I still don't feel that he needed to apologize for anything.

Dog fighting is very common and he was only given the amount of time that he received b/c dogs are very near and dear to Americans.

The entire issue sickened me and there is no way a first time offender should be locked up for 2 years for dog fighting.

He should've been fined and no more. If this was his second or third conviction for dog fighting/killing and illegal gambling, I can understand, but the issue is such a joke with all of the bigger issues we have in this country.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 PM

10,003 posts, read 9,279,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post

Dog fighting is very common and he was only given the amount of time that he received b/c dogs are very near and dear to Americans.

The entire issue sickened me and there is no way a first time offender should be locked up for 2 years for dog fighting.

He should've been fined and no more. If this was his second or third conviction for dog fighting/killing and illegal gambling, I can understand, but the issue is such a joke with all of the bigger issues we have in this country.
Ghandi, a very wise man, said that a nation can be judged by the way it treats it's animals.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 PM

Well, we slaughter our animals, torture them, hook 'em up to machines from birth and pump them with steroids for mass production............

Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:

It wasn't just dog fighting. Vick also plead guilty to killing dogs by hanging and drowning them.

The penalty he got was not at all out of line with what other people get for animal cruelty. It's a felony in Georgia and I read where a guy was sentenced to 5 years for dogfighting just a few months ago.

Of course Vick himself has frequently addressed this in detail and stated that he doesn't have a problem with the sentence. If you think he's just saying that to "look good," watch his interview last night where he was asked exactly that. To me it didn't sound at at all like he was just pretending to be contrite, but you can make up your own mind.

As Ansley says, the way we treat our companion animals says a lot about who we are as a society. Dogfighting (and dog drowning and dog hanging) is subjecting a weaker creature to pain, violence and death for one's personal pleasure. If that's okay, how does it speak to our attitudes about women and children?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,432,532 times
Quote:
Common where? I had no idea such a thing was still done in the US until this particular incident made the news.

Of course, I'm not from this region, so I'm sure there are things I'm not aware of...

Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It wasn't just dog fighting. Vick also plead guilty to killing dogs by hanging and drowning them.

The penalty he got was not at all out of line with what other people get for animal cruelty. It's a felony in Georgia and I read where a guy was sentenced to 5 years for dogfighting just a few months ago.

Of course Vick himself has frequently addressed this in detail and stated that he doesn't have a problem with the sentence. If you think he's just saying that to "look good," watch his interview last night where he was asked exactly that. To me it didn't sound at at all like he was just pretending to be contrite, but you can make up your own mind.

As Ansley says, the way we treat our companion animals says a lot about who we are as a society. Dogfighting (and dog drowning and dog hanging) is subjecting a weaker creature to pain, violence and death for one's personal pleasure. If that's okay, how does it speak to our attitudes about women and children?

Please never compare killing animals to how we treat other humans.

We live in a society that views dogs as almost equals with human beings and its such a joke.

I guarantee that the person who received 5 years for dog fighting was not a first time offender, like Vick.

Vick probably was being sincere, but I think he's been brainwashed by the system.

IMO there is nothing to apologize for. He didn't kill other people's pets, those dogs were his and, as much as I don't believe in animal cruelty, the entire ordeal harmed no human being.

This country treats humans worse than dogs sometimes so someone killing dozens of animals makes no difference to me.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 AM

4,339 posts, read 6,009,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Common where? I had no idea such a thing was still done in the US until this particular incident made the news.

Of course, I'm not from this region, so I'm sure there are things I'm not aware of...
Most urban areas?

Growing up in Baltimore, pits were used for 2 things: fighting and protecting drug stashes.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Please never compare killing animals to how we treat other humans.
Well, it may be an uncomfortable comparison but it's reality.

Dog fighting comes down to this: It's taking lesser creatures -- albeit creatures with a high degree of intelligence and emotion -- and subjecting them to brutality and death for one's personal pleasure.

In my opinion it doesn't take a scientist see the link between that sort of mindset and cruelty toward other human beings. But if you think it does, take a look at the data:

http://www.cynthiahodges.com/animals...n_violence.pdf

Quote:
We live in a society that views dogs as almost equals with human beings and its such a joke.
Personally I don't claim that dogs and humans stand on an equal footing in all matters. But they are intelligent, loyal and intensely emotional creatures who threw in their lot with us humans many thousands of years ago.

If you have ever had a dog, you know how smart and intuitive they are. You can count on them to always do their part, be it guarding your business, protecting your home and your family, or performing perilous duty in war. They can hunt, swim, climb and scout new terrain. They enable us to herd sheep and cattle, which is pretty basic to human civilization. They assist people with disabilities in truly remarkable ways. They are always ready to accompany you on a hike, a ride in the car or on the water. They provide profound meaning and companionship to tens of millions of people.

All of these things and more are the reasons dogs have become an integral part of human society. That's why cavemen painted pictures of them on the walls of caverns 35,000 years ago, and why every society from the Assyrians to the Egyptians down to the present day has honored them. It's why there are thousands of books, songs, movies and websites about them. It's why people spend years learning to understand their medical and behavioral issues and how to take care of them. And it's because of our acknowledgement of the role of dogs that we treat them with dignity and have enacted laws to protect them.

To anyone who doesn't understand this, all I can say is, "Get educated." That's precisely what Michael Vick did and he's obviously passionate about it now. It dishonors Vick to deny his truth.
Quote:
I guarantee that the person who received 5 years for dog fighting was not a first time offender, like Vick.
You know this or are just making an assumption?

The guys in Georgia who got 5 years for dog fighting are hardly an isolated case. How about the guy in Dayton, OH who got 18 months, and another who got a year? Or the guy in Richmond who got 4 years? Or the two in MS who got a year each?

And bear in mind that Vick is hardly someone who inadvertently made a mistake one time. He'd been actively involved in dog fighting for over five years when the operation came to light. He was active in several states and wagered thousands of dollars per fight. He personally participated in killing under-performing dogs by drowning or hanging them. They were secretly kept in barbaric conditions on his property.

It's not like Vick was unaware this was wrong either. He didn't run his operation out in the open, but intentionally set it up where it was secret and hidden. After the arrest he initially denied involvement and blamed it all on others. Of course he had a battery of high powered lawyers and agents by his side every step of the way as well.

When it came to sentencing, Vick also had to deal with the fact that during the time he was allowed to remain free before sentencing, he violated probation by testing positive for marijuana.
Quote:
Vick probably was being sincere, but I think he's been brainwashed by the system.
Michael Vick is a grown man and I'm not going to belittle him by claiming he's been brainwashed.

Quote:
IMO there is nothing to apologize for. He didn't kill other people's pets, those dogs were his and, as much as I don't believe in animal cruelty, the entire ordeal harmed no human being.
It sure sent a pretty crappy message to young people. Including my two grandsons, who were major Michael Vick fanatics. They quit wearing his jersey after this came out. They now have a pit bull rescue as a beloved member of their family, who is an amazingly sweet and gentle creature considering what she's been through.

Vick also cost a lot of people a ton of money and anquish. Not to mention how he harmed himself and his own family.

It's true that some of the dogs (though certainly not all of them) were owned by Vick. In my opinion, that in no way justifies brutalizing and killing them for personal pleasure. Don't forget that pets are often stolen and used as bait dogs to train fighting dogs. They often have their teeth filed down or other things done to them to prevent them from defending themselves, even if they stood a chance to begin with.

And actually most of the dogs who survived this hell actually are somebody's pet today.

Quote:
This country treats humans worse than dogs sometimes so someone killing dozens of animals makes no difference to me.
People are often treated badly here, and far worse in other places. But I don't see how that justifies the horrific torture and killing of dogs for pleasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta