Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:09 AM

16,626 posts, read 29,278,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
I'm in no way racist but I would think that the reason for this is because they would be the only ones with the means to rise above their hardships and immigrate here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
This can apply to the Asians as well.
^^^^
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 12:05 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Yeah the notion that Asian in general are more intelligent and educated is silly when you actually look at the statistics in their own countries. Poverty, child prostitution, disease and illiteracy would not be so rampant in Asia if all these people were geniuses. The stereotype is silly. People like mceis push this stereotype that ignores real issues among the Asian race.
Very true. Most people who buy into that notion also usually have never been to Asia. Five minutes after arriving in any Asian city save Japan will kill that notion.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Box

382 posts, read 658,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post

Wishing for more Muslims in the U.S. = civilizational suicide. I am not going into it on this thread though.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times
In case everyone has forgotten the actual topic (about Asian culture in Atlanta) - please read the first post and comment on the topic only.

Thank you.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:06 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,507,354 times
I'm delighted to see more Asians moving here. New friends, talents, viewpoints and energy. Not to mention more dining options.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:22 AM

4,819 posts, read 6,043,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm delighted to see more Asians moving here. New friends, talents, viewpoints and energy. Not to mention more dining options.
Yeah I always wanted Atlanta to have a stronger Asian culture presence. There suppose to be a Atlanta village projected but with the recession, I don't know what happen with it.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
I could see Atlanta being classified as such for Koreans. However, Asians on the whole, I'm sorry but that wouldn't be right. Atlanta's Asian community is nothing to sneer at, but its also smaller than two of it's three southern brothers in Dallas and Houston in both size and concentration. It's Asian population is also growing about 25 to 30 percent slower than the two Texas metro areas. Atlanta is also not in the top 10 in the US for Asians population. Koreans are the only exception where Atlanta truly stands out.

So, culture center for Koreans? Ok, I'll buy that. But for all Asians, no.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 07-26-2011 at 07:01 AM..

Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 AM

187 posts, read 402,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I could see Atlanta being classified as such for Koreans. However, Asians on the whole, I'm sorry but that wouldn't be right.
Well thats where your wrong. Its not just the Korean population and culture that is exploding. South Asian (Indians mostly) population and culture is also exploding here in Atlanta. Southeast Asian (Vietnamese and to a lesser extent Cambodians) have also been flooding Atlanta. The Chinese are also starting to catch up to these three groups. All of these groups can be classified as Asians, even if every Asian group is not growing its population and culture in Atlanta.

Quote:
Atlanta's Asian community is nothing to sneer at, but its also smaller than two of it's three southern brothers in Dallas and Houston in both size and concentration. It's Asian population is also growing about 25 to 30 percent slower than the two Texas metro areas.
What is it with this Dallas-Houston-Atlanta rivalry? Atlanta is not concerned with those two cities, so why are they so obsessed with Atlanta. Atlanta became a magnet for Asians much later than Houston. That would explain the difference. Considering how late Atlanta came to the Asian immigrant game, its done much better than Houston or Dallas.

Quote:
Atlanta is also not in the top 10 in the US for Asians population.
now your just being silly. Its percntage is ranked 11th and climbing.

Quote:
Koreans are the only exception where Atlanta truly stands out.

See above. You are SO wrong. More Houstonian jealousy that they werent mentioned.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
Well thats where your wrong. Its not just the Korean population and culture that is exploding. South Asian (Indians mostly) population and culture is also exploding here in Atlanta. Southeast Asian (Vietnamese and to a lesser extent Cambodians) have also been flooding Atlanta. The Chinese are also starting to catch up to these three groups. All of these groups can be classified as Asians, even if every Asian group is not growing its population and culture in Atlanta.

What is it with this Dallas-Houston-Atlanta rivalry? Atlanta is not concerned with those two cities, so why are they so obsessed with Atlanta. Atlanta became a magnet for Asians much later than Houston. That would explain the difference. Considering how late Atlanta came to the Asian immigrant game, its done much better than Houston or Dallas.

now your just being silly. Its percntage is ranked 11th and climbing.

See above. You are SO wrong. More Houstonian jealousy that they werent mentioned.
Sorry, but Im not the one who is wrong about this.

I said absolutely nothing that was out of line or incorrect. I used Dallas and Houston because Atlanta needs to be shown relative to its peers if its going to be an "Asian Mecca", which Im sorry, but it isnt.

But hey, dont take my word for it. How about some facts? First lets shoot down the notion that Atlanta came latter to Asian growth:

Here is Atlanta's growth since 1980:

US2010

Asian population in 1980: 11,403
Asian population in 1990: 51,051
Asian population in 2000: 149,753
Asian population in 2010: 279,112

Here is Dallas' growth since 1980:

US2010

Asian population in 1980: 23,446
Asian population in 1990: 94,297
Asian population in 2000: 217,287
Asian population in 2010: 377,958

Here is Houston's growth since 1980:

US2010

Asian population in 1980: 50,732
Asian population in 1990: 126,971
Asian population in 2000: 247,538
Asian population in 2010: 417,415

The data shows clearly that it has nothing to do with having a "head start". Dallas' Asian population was almost as low as Atlanta's in 1980 and Houston has always been the biggest magnent of the three so the fact that it had the most in the beginning is irrelevent. The two Texas metro areas simply attract more overall Asians.

I also laughed at the jealousy thing. As far as being an Asian culture center, what on earth would Dallas or Houston have to be jealous of? Atlanta has the largest Korean community of the three, but then Atlanta also has the smallest Indian, Pakistani, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc. community of the three (in both concentration and total population). You could go tit for tat all day long.

Look, I love Atlanta and its Asian population is booming and it can be proud of that. But lets call it as it is. Atlanta is not an Asian mecca. Its a booming, bustling city that is attracting Asians because of that. Atlanta has a lot to be proud off and what Im arguing is not that Atlanta has an insignificant Asian community, but rather that it simply is not an "Asian Mecca" relative to many other city in the US. LA, San Francisco, Honolulu, New York, and maybe now the DC area are really the only ones that could fit that bill.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:37 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I could see Atlanta being classified as such for Koreans. However, Asians on the whole, I'm sorry but that wouldn't be right. Atlanta's Asian community is nothing to sneer at, but its also smaller than two of it's three southern brothers in Dallas and Houston in both size and concentration. It's Asian population is also growing about 25 to 30 percent slower than the two Texas metro areas. Atlanta is also not in the top 10 in the US for Asians population. Koreans are the only exception where Atlanta truly stands out.

We may be behind Dallas and Houston in this area, but we absolutely blow Miami out of the water when it comes to anything Asian.

Wouldn't it seem pretty logical that Dallas & Houston's growth in any category would be out ahead of just about anywhere right now? Those two are basically the jobs engine for the entire country currently.

Give credit where credit is due - we have become one of the centers of Korean life in the U.S., and it shows no sign of slowing down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta