Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 AM

187 posts, read 402,295 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is teaching the South Korean equivalent of Human Geography in Seoul (hes fluent in Korean). He said the new edition of his textbook has listed Atlanta as one of five centers for east Asian cultures and populations in the United States. The other four cities mentioned were New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle.

He said he will try and scan an image and email it to me when he has time. Each city is pictured, along with their name (not sure if the name is in Korean or English).

Awesome news for our fair, international city!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Box

382 posts, read 658,650 times
Nice!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 AM

957 posts, read 3,343,286 times
Kirkwoodhipster,

Dude... everyone already knows this

Case in Point.. look at the city of Johns Creek

2007 9,571 Asians 13% of Johns Creek
2011 17,925 Asians 23% of Johns Creek

That is almost a 100% Asian population growth for the city in 4 short years... not 10 years...

At this rate the Asian population is growing 250% every decade in Johns Creek. Please tell me another Asian mecca city in this country that has this kind of growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
A friend of mine is teaching the South Korean equivalent of Human Geography in Seoul (hes fluent in Korean). He said the new edition of his textbook has listed Atlanta as one of five centers for east Asian cultures and populations in the United States. The other four cities mentioned were New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle.

He said he will try and scan an image and email it to me when he has time. Each city is pictured, along with their name (not sure if the name is in Korean or English).

Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 PM

183 posts, read 351,365 times
I was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area (California) where there are a plenty of Asians! We moved here last year, I can attest that I can find 99% of the Asian grocery and restaurants here in JC/Duluth that I had access to in CA. I was expecting much less, so I was very pleased! Apparently, there IS enough of an Asian population to support all those stores and restaurants. Minus the hot/humid weather and the much cheaper housing, it's like we never left CA.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:24 PM

10,733 posts, read 13,269,702 times
Cool! But didn't we pass a law banning the word "mecca" from the forum???

Old 07-21-2011, 01:37 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,768,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Cool! But didn't we pass a law banning the word "mecca" from the forum???
Not until we're the Catholic mecca, too. Then it's banned as everyone will have mecca-ized Atlanta.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:48 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,905,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamlym View Post
I was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area (California) where there are a plenty of Asians! We moved here last year, I can attest that I can find 99% of the Asian grocery and restaurants here in JC/Duluth that I had access to in CA. I was expecting much less, so I was very pleased! Apparently, there IS enough of an Asian population to support all those stores and restaurants. Minus the hot/humid weather and the much cheaper housing, it's like we never left CA.
Talking about stores, I was recently surprised to find out that there are more Hmarts in Atlanta than there are in all of California. That just blew my mind given that California definitely has a larger Korean population base than Atlanta...for now.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM

717 posts, read 892,460 times
For all of east Asia or just Korea? For Asian culture in America, there are a handful of cities I'd put before Atlanta, and for Koreans, Dallas is definitely right up there with it.

Does Atlanta even have a Koreatown in its city center?

Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,094,477 times
Awesome news, but I would like to see the number of Asians moving to metro Atlanta per year quadrupuled. It seems like it's all word of mouth right now, as the rest of the U.S. refuses to acknowledge our robust growth. One idea would be an advertising campaign that actively works to attract more Asians to the region from places like Los Angeles and San Francisco, and maybe even Seoul and Beijing.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:26 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,298,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post

This is pretty cool...

(would love to see the textbook image)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta