Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:07 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,533,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
All I said was that it was really a premier mall back in the 70's. It just looks shotty to me.
Gotcha. I rarely go past the anchors and didn't realize it was rundown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,215,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Gotcha. I rarely go past the anchors and didn't realize it was rundown.
I wouldn't say it's rundown. The building is maintained just fine, interior and exterior. Its problem is that it is stocked with stores that do not appeal to the residents of the surrounding area, which is mostly middle and upper middle class, so they take their money to Lenox and Perimeter.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:14 PM

847 posts, read 1,450,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Stonecrest? I don't know about that. People in the area served by Stonecrest always had South Dekalb mall much closer to them than either Northlake or N. Dekalb.
I'm not too sure about that. When I lived in South DeKalb County from 1998-2001, most middle-class people that I knew in my area (including myself) avoided South DeKalb Mall like the plague. Stonecrest was completed after I left DeKalb, but prior to Stonecrest I was usually at Northlake or Perimeter depending on what I was looking for.

My mother was still in DeKalb for a few years after Stonecrest was built. By that time, most people skipped the ride to Northlake, Perimeter, or North DeKalb and went to Stonecrest. Stonecrest has since declined, but that's another story.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Last time I counted, Northlake Mall had 14 athletic shoe stores. Need I say more?
Store offerings and turnover are usually a good sign that a mall in declining. I was actually in Northlake the other day to look for a Falcons shirt and I noted that it is nothing like it was 10+ years ago. The anchor stores also don't seem to have a decent selection compared to some at other malls, which is another sign.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
Store offerings and turnover are usually a good sign that a mall in declining. I was actually in Northlake the other day to look for a Falcons shirt and I noted that it is nothing like it was 10+ years ago. The anchor stores also don't seem to have a decent selection compared to some at other malls, which is another sign.
What makes a mall decline like that? I was under the impression the surrounding areas were rock solid and, if anything, experiencing something of an uptick.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:49 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,215,811 times
Quote:
What makes a mall decline like that? I was under the impression the surrounding areas were rock solid and, if anything, experiencing something of an uptick.
In Northlake's case, specifically, I think the fact that they're managed by Simon Malls is a major contributor to the mall's decline. Although there are some residential areas near the mall that are not at their prime, the vast majority of the surrounding neighborhoods are definitely not declining. There's is a lot of buying power in that area, and local residents WANT to shop and dine there, but first,the mall has to offer the things they want to buy. Simon Malls is NOT doing that, even though the community has put as much pressure on them to do so as they possibly can.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
In Northlake's case, specifically, I think the fact that they're managed by Simon Malls is a major contributor to the mall's decline. Although there are some residential areas near the mall that are not at their prime, the vast majority of the surrounding neighborhoods are definitely not declining. There's is a lot of buying power in that area, and local residents WANT to shop and dine there, but first,the mall has to offer the things they want to buy. Simon Malls is NOT doing that, even though the community has put as much pressure on them to do so as they possibly can.
You have to wonder what their long term strategy is. The idea of driving customers to Lenox and Phipps MIGHT make sense if Simon didn't own all three malls. By beating up on Northlake it seems like they're devaluing their own asset.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,607,582 times
Lots of malls are declining. I hear that Mall of GA has lots of vacancies. Anyone know if that is true?

Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Lots of malls are declining. I hear that Mall of GA has lots of vacancies. Anyone know if that is true?
It's probably in part the sluggish economy generally and the fact that everybody is broke or at least in belt-tightening mode. Plus I'm sure online retailing is starting to dig into bricks-and-mortar stores.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
It's probably in part the sluggish economy generally and the fact that everybody is broke or at least in belt-tightening mode. Plus I'm sure online retailing is starting to dig into bricks-and-mortar stores.
I agree. My wife and I dine near the Mall of Georgia every now and then, but I couldn't tell you the last time that I actually set foot into the mall. Most of our shopping is either done online or at places like TJMaxx or Marshalls. We usually only hit the mall if it is something that we either can't get online or at the discount spots.

I work near Cumberland Mall and some of us hit the food court for lunch at times. There always seems to be activity there, but I still tend to see very few people walking around with bags outside of teens and some young adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta