U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:37 AM

2,887 posts, read 4,122,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Really? I have lived in Atlanta for the past 10 years and have visited Dallas quite a bit. I plan on moving there soon. There are definitely more Grubby areas in Atlanta than in Dallas. Dallas just seems to be cleaner with less hoods. You must have been in south Dallas. I like Atlanta, but it seems like there is always a hood within a block of you; even in the nice neighborhoods. Alpharetta, Johns Creek, etc. would be the exception. Don't get me wrong, Dallas has hoods; but definitely less than Atlanta and it seems to be a bit more consistant.

This is not the reason I'm moving. I just found it funny that you think Dallas is Grubby compared to here. Both cities are actually pretty similar with the exception of terrain, number of trees.
You are pretty much dead on with this post. I love in Dallas how you have that safe feeling of Alpharetta, etc. right in the heart of the city in Uptown, Knox-Henderson, etc. (Oak Lawn is very nice, but certain parts didn't get cleaned up in time before the economy went South). Dallas does hide its grit very well though. It is present, but not nearly as prevelant. The grit that Atlanta does have tends to get hidden better by the dense forestation of the city than what you would see otherwise. I also think the grit in Atlanta gives it more of the "city" feel people refer to when comparing the two cities. Same thing is commonly said about Houston feeling like a bigger city than Dallas, it is a lot more gritty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 PM

574 posts, read 1,161,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
You are pretty much dead on with this post. I love in Dallas how you have that safe feeling of Alpharetta, etc. right in the heart of the city in Uptown, Knox-Henderson, etc. (Oak Lawn is very nice, but certain parts didn't get cleaned up in time before the economy went South). Dallas does hide its grit very well though. It is present, but not nearly as prevelant. The grit that Atlanta does have tends to get hidden better by the dense forestation of the city than what you would see otherwise. I also think the grit in Atlanta gives it more of the "city" feel people refer to when comparing the two cities. Same thing is commonly said about Houston feeling like a bigger city than Dallas, it is a lot more gritty.
I agree.

So, what part of Dallas do you live in? I will be working in Plano, and trying to figure out where is a good spot to set up camp.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:39 PM

580 posts, read 1,247,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Response is above in bold
Thanks!

Looks like Dallas is a better option compared to Atlanta based on most of the criteria...

Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,122,440 times
Well thats just from my point of view. Others may feel differently. You can't go wrong with either.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,405,069 times
Dallas is BORING

Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 PM

85 posts, read 153,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
I agree.

So, what part of Dallas do you live in? I will be working in Plano, and trying to figure out where is a good spot to set up camp.
Plano is a great city, I work in IT as well and its basically the OC of Texas.

Northern Richardson/Plano/Carrolton are places if you have a family.

I live in uptown (im 24 and single) and commute north out of the city in the mornings with no issue as traffic is all going INTO the city.

All depends what you are looking for, I like Dallas but I found the girls in my generation to be way to pretentious for my tastes.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:06 PM

717 posts, read 661,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
Thanks!

Looks like Dallas is a better option compared to Atlanta based on most of the criteria...
To get more insight on the best areas for you there, you may want to start a thread in the Dallas forum where the locals can help you out.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,914,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Dallas is BORING
No, it isn't.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 AM

20,908 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No, it isn't.
Not IME, either. There is plenty to do in the Big D.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 AM

664 posts, read 1,408,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I have an option to relocate (due to my job transfer) to Atlanta, GA or Dallas, TX with following criteria in that order

a. Warmer tolerable weather year round
b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals
c. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D)
d. Affordable quality education for kids through public schools
e. Tolerable traffic during peak hours/availability of public transportation
f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation
g. Social life
h. Peaceful / reasonably less crime rate

What would be a better city to relocate? Atlanta, GA or Dallas, TX
I've lived in both Atlanta and Dallas and I currently live in the mid-cities (an area between Dallas and Ft. Worth).

a. Current heat wave aside, I'd give the edge to Dallas here. I lived in metro Atlanta for two decades and I never did get used to the humidity there. I'd rather have a 100F day in Dallas than a 90F day in Atlanta.
b. About equal. If you want to live in a decent neighborhood, you're paying the same either way.
c. There are more opportunities in Dallas but there are also 1 million more people in the metropolitan area to compete for those opportunities.
d. You have another wash here. The only exception I can think of is if you have the cash to live in the Highland Park ISD. The Park Cities (Highland Park and University Park) are two actual cities surrounded by the city of Dallas.
e. Dallas. Easily. Dallas is constantly improving their road infrastructure by adding new controlled access highways and doing their best to stay ahead of the curve on existing highways. There are notable exceptions (US-75), but at least they're exceptions.
f. Scenic beauty? Atlanta. Access to recreation? If you can't find anything fun to do in one of the two cities, you're not trying hard enough.
g. Depends on what you're looking for. I enjoyed the Buckhead bar scene more than anything I've found in Dallas, but it's not like either city is devoid of a social scene.
h. Neither city is exemplary as far as crime is concerned. There are areas of high and low crime in either. Do your homework when considering an area.

I think a lot of your decision will come down to personal preference. To me the biggest knock on Atlanta is the traffic. I absolutely hated Atlanta traffic and am so glad to be rid of it. But then again, I don't commute to Dallas proper these days. There are areas of Dallas that are just as bad. Where specifically is each position located? Dallas and Atlanta each have huge metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta