U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:20 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,843,474 times

Advertisements

Dallas is a HELL HOLE. 23 days and counting over 100, don't think so. I have a feeling many transplants after one summer there will be leaving. Plus it is ugly, the surrounding scrub trees are pathetic to Atlanta's 100 foot trees......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:25 AM

91 posts, read 130,486 times
I have visited both cities and from what I found I would definitely pick Atlanta over Dallas. Atlanta is far more scenic than Dallas as I found Dallas to be quite flat in terms of its landscape, Atlanta’s lush trees are pleasing to the eye. Atlanta seemed to be more vibrant to me, that is not taking anything away from Dallas but I just feel that Atlanta has more of a sense of culture in my opinion.

Dallas did seem like it had plenty of opportunities which you should not ignore but I just found the place in general to be quite plain, Atlanta’s metro has an abundance of opportunity too. Your proximity to work is also important as I am aware of the traffic problems out in Atlanta but Dallas is not much better in that area. The public transit is far superior in Atlanta than Dallas but you must take into consideration that both cities are car dependant.

The weather in both cities is quite similar however Dallas does get higher temperatures in the summer but Atlanta can be quite humid at times. I have never experienced crime in either city but I am aware that there are sketchy areas which should be avoided. The choice is really up to you, but if I was in your position I would pick Atlanta over Dallas any day.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 AM

18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Dallas is a HELL HOLE. 23 days and counting over 100, don't think so. I have a feeling many transplants after one summer there will be leaving. Plus it is ugly, the surrounding scrub trees are pathetic to Atlanta's 100 foot trees......
Yawn. This is a regular summer for Dallas and that hasnt stopped it from growing for the past 50 years.. Not to mention that the trade off is a great fall, winter, and early spring weather. Nice attempt though.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM

717 posts, read 661,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yawn. This is a regular summer for Dallas and that hasnt stopped it from growing for the past 50 years.. Not to mention that the trade off is a great fall, winter, and early spring weather. Nice attempt though.
Very true. A simple browse through the Dallas forum and one will see that most transplants who moved to the area from all over the country and the world have many great things to say about the DFW area, even after having spent a summer here. Believe it or not, most people aren't wimps when it comes to the heat, and it's not as if Atlanta is San Fran during July and August. So please take brent's post with a grain of salt. He does not speak for everyone.

For every person that prefers Atlanta, I'm sure there are just as many that prefer Dallas

If he has the option, the OP's best bet is to visit each city and get a feel for them. First impressions tend to be lasting impressions, so whichever city you feel more comfortable in may very well be where you belong.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:39 PM

1,519 posts, read 4,680,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
It's turning into hell for somebody.

Hell

Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM

294 posts, read 665,711 times
I lived in both.

Neighborhoods/Suburbs? Dallas overall has better suburbs (in the north). But Atlanta has great (again northern) suburbs too.

Weather? Atlanta weather, IMO, is much nicer than Dallas'. Dallas was just too hot for too long. I can deal with the southeast's humdity better than that kind of heat, which at time in the summer felt as if my face was on fire, but not everyone is the same in this regard.

Grit? Atlanta has grit but Dallas is equally or more gritty. From downtown and just about everything south is VERY gritty and generally unkempt.
Transport in Atlanta is much better.

Food, I thought, was better in DFW, beacuse of the BBQ, and I love BBQ.
Surface roads are worst (and narrower) in Dallas but the freeway system is much better.

Scenic? No contest. Atlanta is much more appealing.

Things to do? Atlanta has more to see and do, although Dallas has a much getter Arts District.

Shopping? Atlanta is no slouch but Dallas wins in this catergory.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 PM

197 posts, read 428,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Really? I have lived in Atlanta for the past 10 years and have visited Dallas quite a bit. I plan on moving there soon. There are definitely more Grubby areas in Atlanta than in Dallas. Dallas just seems to be cleaner with less hoods. You must have been in south Dallas. I like Atlanta, but it seems like there is always a hood within a block of you; even in the nice neighborhoods. Alpharetta, Johns Creek, etc. would be the exception. Don't get me wrong, Dallas has hoods; but definitely less than Atlanta and it seems to be a bit more consistant.

This is not the reason I'm moving. I just found it funny that you think Dallas is Grubby compared to here. Both cities are actually pretty similar with the exception of terrain, number of trees.
I wasn't in south Dallas, the office that I worked out of when I was there was west of Love Field and the hotel I stayed in was basically southeast of Love Field. The office area in my opinion was pretty trashy looking, the hotel area was a little better looking but still not what I would consider to be overly nice. I did go to downtown several times and I thought the downtown area was pretty nice. I went north of Dallas several times to different areas and thought those areas were a little nicer than the area I was in. But, overall I just wasn't that impressed with what I saw. Part of the reason I went out there is because I was offered what would amount to a job promotion if I was willing to relocate to Dallas. After two trips out there I decided that Dallas just wasn't for me and choose to stay in Atlanta.

I don't know what it was but I just didn't think Dallas was a very pretty place. It wasn't the difference in green landscaping because I lived in Phoenix for several years and thought it was absolutely beautiful. I guess Dallas just came off as being very bland to me or something. I feel like I would get bored there fairly quickly. But everyone has their own taste...

Last edited by DreamKeeper; 07-25-2011 at 07:46 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 PM

9,555 posts, read 8,619,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
If he has the option, the OP's best bet is to visit each city and get a feel for them. First impressions tend to be lasting impressions, so whichever city you feel more comfortable in may very well be where you belong.
Best advice in this thread.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,288,060 times
LOL at the people who say Dallas is "boring" or a "hell hole". You would be hard pressed to find two cities in the US that offer similar amounts big cities amenities.

I have not lived in Atlanta, but have spent significant time there, so Ill weigh in (thanks to work and an ex from Johns Creek):

a. Warmer tolerable weather year round

-Dallas is definitely warmer. The summers here can be crazy hot, but the winters are more mild than Atlanta. However, Atlanta has a better fall and spring.

b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals

-Its pretty comparable, I think Dallas is slightly cheaper overall.

c. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D)

-The Dallas has more of a corporate base and more technology related jobs. Atlanta wins the R&D field.

d. Affordable quality education for kids through public schools

-Neither the cities of Dallas nor Atlanta have what I would call great public schools. However, great schools can be found in both metro areas.

e. Tolerable traffic during peak hours/availability of public transportation

-Atlanta has better public transit, but worse traffic

f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation

-Atlanta hands down on this one

g. Social life

-Depends on the type of crowd you like. Its a wash

h. Peaceful / reasonably less crime rate

Atlanta's crime rate is higher, but there are good and bad neighborhoods in both.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:43 PM

717 posts, read 661,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
-Dallas is definitely warmer. The summers here can be crazy hot, but the winters are more mild than Atlanta. However, Atlanta has a better fall and spring.
Aside from Dallas' winters being a bit shorter, I was always under the impression that their winters were rather comparable. I think snow is more likely in Dallas, and those cold snaps sweep down the Midwest with a vengeance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta