U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:25 AM

419 posts, read 853,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
I wasn't in south Dallas, the office that I worked out of when I was there was west of Love Field and the hotel I stayed in was basically southeast of Love Field. The office area in my opinion was pretty trashy looking, the hotel area was a little better looking but still not what I would consider to be overly nice. I did go to downtown several times and I thought the downtown area was pretty nice. I went north of Dallas several times to different areas and thought those areas were a little nicer than the area I was in. But, overall I just wasn't that impressed with what I saw. Part of the reason I went out there is because I was offered what would amount to a job promotion if I was willing to relocate to Dallas. After two trips out there I decided that Dallas just wasn't for me and choose to stay in Atlanta.

I don't know what it was but I just didn't think Dallas was a very pretty place. It wasn't the difference in green landscaping because I lived in Phoenix for several years and thought it was absolutely beautiful. I guess Dallas just came off as being very bland to me or something. I feel like I would get bored there fairly quickly. But everyone has their own taste...
The Love Field area is absolutely trashy. And north of Dallas is undoubtedly bland. Why didn't you go to Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Highland Park or Lakewood?

Is the area adjacent to the Atlanta airport desirable? Are the bland suburbs of Atlanta less bland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:08 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,899,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
If he has the option, the OP's best bet is to visit each city and get a feel for them. First impressions tend to be lasting impressions, so whichever city you feel more comfortable in may very well be where you belong.
Absolutely.

Also, I think it's hard to generalize an entire metro area ... Atlanta (and I'm sure Dallas) has a fairly wide variety of different communities and neighborhoods, and the specific experience you might have will probably vary quite a bit depending where in each metro you end up.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM

17 posts, read 46,573 times
I've been to Atlanta and agree that it is beautiful, but I'd pick Dallas over Atlanta. I'm a native Texan and I'm a little biased, but as far as cost of living, I think DFW has it over ATL. I will be moving to Atlanta soon because my husband got a new job there. I was not happy to learn about the 6% in Georgia state income taxes that we will have. There's no state income tax in Texas, and the housing is much more affordable in DFW. I live in Keller, a very nice suburb of DFW, my kids go to some of the best schools in the metroplex. Our home here in DFW will cost us twice as much or more for a similar home in a nice suburb of Atlanta, such as Alpharetta or somewhere in South Forsyth. Why are the homes so expensive compared to DFW?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM

717 posts, read 661,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnetbabe View Post
I've been to Atlanta and agree that it is beautiful, but I'd pick Dallas over Atlanta. I'm a native Texan and I'm a little biased, but as far as cost of living, I think DFW has it over ATL. I will be moving to Atlanta soon because my husband got a new job there. I was not happy to learn about the 6% in Georgia state income taxes that we will have. There's no state income tax in Texas, and the housing is much more affordable in DFW. I live in Keller, a very nice suburb of DFW, my kids go to some of the best schools in the metroplex. Our home here in DFW will cost us twice as much or more for a similar home in a nice suburb of Atlanta, such as Alpharetta or somewhere in South Forsyth. Why are the homes so expensive compared to DFW?
Twice as much? I've never heard of there being that much of a difference between the two metros as far as cost of living goes. It's none of our business how much you paid for your current home, but if you could give as much info as possible, I'm sure someone (most likely R1070) would be able to help you out.

There's really no way you should have to pay twice as much for the same thing in Atlanta. Have you looked in Gwinnett County?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:19 PM

4,580 posts, read 6,145,565 times
Atlanta has the Falcons and Dallas has the Cowboys..Nuff said..

Old 07-27-2011, 06:53 PM

29 posts, read 107,029 times
I moved to the Atlanta area about 8 months ago after living in the Dallas area for 7 years. I lived mostly in the northern suburbs of Dallas, and live in one of the northern suburbs of Atlanta, so my responses are mostly comparing those areas, not the areas within the city limits.

a. Warmer tolerable weather year round

So far, I enjoy the weather in Atlanta better than Dallas area. Yes, it's slightly more humid in Atlanta, but 96 degrees with humidity and trees to provide shade is a lot more enjoyable than 100+ degree drier heat in a concrete pit.

b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals
Again, I'm giving the edge to Atlanta. The home I purchased here was about $40k less than the home I owned in Dallas, and will cost about half in terms of property taxes. I think the home architecture here is much prettier and more varied, but of course that's a personal preference. In addition to being cheaper and with cheaper property taxes, my Atlanta area home is in a swim/tennis community, is on a piece of land about twice the size of my home in DFW, and is zoned to better schools. Groceries, gas, utilities, and other COL factors have been about the same.

c. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D)
About the same. Maybe a slight edge to Dallas. Salaries in my field at my level of career have been almost exactly the same level of pay.

d. Affordable quality education for kids through public schools
You can find good and bad schools in both areas. Greatschools.org is a great resource for this. As I already mentioned, I'm more impressed with my kids' school here than I was in the Dallas area.

e. Tolerable traffic during peak hours/availability of public transportation
Entirely dependent on where you live and where you work. My commute is about the same as it was in Dallas. I have to say, though, when it comes to driving to things like grocery stores, restaurants, the mall I really like not having to drive on or near a highway to get to these kinds of things. In Dallas I had to get on the highway to get just about anywhere.

f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation
Atlanta, hands down. Here we have trees, hills, mountains. The parks here have been better than in Dallas. Dallas does have a few nice parks, but good luck seeing anyone use them on a day like today when it's over 100 degrees and very little shade.

g. Social life
I don't know. I spent 7 years in Dallas and made 2 friends in that time. I've been here 8 months and have an extended network of at least a dozen. I have found it easier to make friends here than I did in Dallas, but I don't know how much credit the geographic area (and its population) should get for that or if there are other factors at play.
I will say, though, the major social attractions in Dallas are eating at restaurants and shopping. Atlanta definitely has its share of that too, but with better parks, splash pads, dog parks, one of the best aquariums I've ever been too, lots of community festivals, and more of the other things I enjoy doing, it's nice to have the option to do something besides eat and shop.

h. Peaceful / reasonably less crime rate
I haven't had issues with crime in either city.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 07-27-2011, 08:14 PM

717 posts, read 661,824 times
Hmmmmm. LifoLove's post is like the opposite of R1070's, so that ought to tell the OP something.....that it completely depends on the individual. Everyone is different and has different experiences, so you can't take just one person's word for it.

While Dallas certainly isn't treeless, most of us can probably agree that Atlanta is prettier. But honestly, in the summer time....in this weather I could care less about trees. Heat, humidity, and trees equals bugs! And Atlanta has those big flying roaches that terrorize folks. Now come November when it's cooled down, most of the bugs are gone, and the leaves have changed colors, Atlanta is truly a sight to behold. Honestly no major city in the south is as nice during autumn as Atlanta

Last edited by Chalie Brown; 07-27-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-28-2011, 08:48 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,429,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Atlanta has the Falcons and Dallas has the Cowboys..Nuff said..
The Dallas Cowboys are basically the Atlanta Braves of the NFL. Lately the Falcons have been playing better than them.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:37 PM

9,559 posts, read 8,622,679 times
Quote:
Heat, humidity, and trees equals bugs! And Atlanta has those big flying roaches that terrorize folks.
Those damn things flew off with my first born over 20 years ago!!!! Seriously, the bug spraying guys (Orkin for instance) can easily cure that problem.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,122,440 times
Quote:
Hmmmmm. LifoLove's post is like the opposite of R1070's, so that ought to tell the OP something.....that it completely depends on the individual. Everyone is different and has different experiences, so you can't take just one person's word for it.

While Dallas certainly isn't treeless, most of us can probably agree that Atlanta is prettier. But honestly, in the summer time....in this weather I could care less about trees. Heat, humidity, and trees equals bugs! And Atlanta has those big flying roaches that terrorize folks. Now come November when it's cooled down, most of the bugs are gone, and the leaves have changed colors, Atlanta is truly a sight to behold. Honestly no major city in the south is as nice during autumn as Atlanta
Haha I thought the same thing. I will say, I have been to some really nice dog parks in Dallas, especially the one in Bryan Place. I love that one. As for larger city parks. There is a lot of emphasis in Dallas right now to ramp up it's park system, but there is not a "go to" park like Piedmont is to Atlanta. With many pocket parks around, people tend to check them out. I will say that having the Katy trail right in the heart of the city does take away from a lot of traffic the parks would get otherwise. I utilize the katy trail 2-3 times a week usually and have never went jogging in a park here. Well I cut through Lee Park to get to Katy Trail lol. Sometimes KatyTrail is so busy you have to jog beside it, there's no room. As the city links Katy trail to White Rock, I think you'll see it get even busier. I love that the city has White Rock Lake right in the heart of it. The Arboretum there is one of the best I've ever seen. Great place to go biking too. For those who say there aren't outdoorsy things to do in Dallas they are either being sour to make Dallas look worse than it is or they are really clueless. Other must see spots are the Great Trinity forest/Audobon Center and Cedar Hill State Park is great for hiking (yes we have hills in SW Dallas County). There are a lot more lakes in the Dallas area than anywhere around Atlanta, plenty of boating, camping, trails etc all over the Metroplex. I can't even name all the lakes!

As for the fall colors comment you are dead on. The fall colors in Atlanta are gorgeous. I moved to Dallas on Thanksgiving day and the leaves had pretty much changed over and fallen off most the trees in Atlanta. I got to Dallas and it was still green with some of the trees just starting to change color so I got to live through fall twice that year. The fall in Dallas is pretty minimal compared to Atlanta. There's quite a bit of evergreen varieties in Dallas such as live oaks etc that you see in south Georgia rather than the Atlanta area.

I'm actually surprised by the festivals comment. The entire Metroplex as a whole has some great festivals. In Atlanta most of the festivals are centered around Atlanta but in this area it seems like a majority of the surrounding cities has a list of festivals going on. This area is definitely not as boring as people describe on here. There's 2 zoos, 3 aquariums, 2 arts districts, an array of museums, many waterparks, historic trolleys, the list goes on. Of course the shopping and food are great! but there's a lot more going on than just that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta