U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:16 PM

717 posts, read 661,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Those damn things flew off with my first born over 20 years ago!!!! Seriously, the bug spraying guys (Orkin for instance) can easily cure that problem.
Yeah but with those things you never know. They live outside and occasionally make their way in even the cleanest home, but they often die once inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 PM

9,559 posts, read 8,622,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Yeah but with those things you never know. They live outside and occasionally make their way in even the cleanest home, but they often die once inside.
We whack them with yestarday's AJC. See, for the non-liberals in the bunch, that's a good use of the paper!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
"Big A, Meet the Even Bigger D" - Dallas News - Unfair Park

"...rules in favor of Dallas, in part because we have toll roads to help pay for regional light rail projects that run to the suburbs, which is but a figment of a concept in Atlanta. Also: Dallas-Fort Worth has added jobs (73,000 in the last two years), while Atlanta's lost 'em (42,000 during the same time period); and Dallas is tending to its water needs decades down the road, while Atlanta is not"

Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM

20,908 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
"Big A, Meet the Even Bigger D" - Dallas News - Unfair Park

"...rules in favor of Dallas, in part because we have toll roads to help pay for regional light rail projects that run to the suburbs, which is but a figment of a concept in Atlanta. Also: Dallas-Fort Worth has added jobs (73,000 in the last two years), while Atlanta's lost 'em (42,000 during the same time period); and Dallas is tending to its water needs decades down the road, while Atlanta is not"
And this from no less an impartial source than the Dallas Observer.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:35 PM

27,754 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually, that blog only repeats what was written in the AJC article. It was more or less a review.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 PM

969 posts, read 1,622,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I guess you could say that but they are kind of right. Dallas is leaving Atlanta in the dust... (I do prefer the land here compared to Texas, which I find kind of ugly). Unfortunate because Atlanta has so much potential.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 PM
bu2

8,973 posts, read 5,668,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I have an option to relocate (due to my job transfer) to Atlanta, GA or Dallas, TX with following criteria in that order

a. Warmer tolerable weather year round
b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals
c. Sr level career opportunities (IT/Corporate/R&D)
d. Affordable quality education for kids through public schools
e. Tolerable traffic during peak hours/availability of public transportation
f. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation
g. Social life
h. Peaceful / reasonably less crime rate

What would be a better city to relocate? Atlanta, GA or Dallas, TX
I previously lived in Dallas and moved to Atlanta about 3 years ago from Houston. Dallas has much milder winters than what I have experienced in Atlanta. Dallas is much hotter in the summer. The phrase "Hotlanta" is a joke if you have lived in Texas. I think I got hot twice in my first two summers here. I find the summers here very pleasant. Both will be much warmer than San Francisco.

Cost of living is lower in Texas. The index when we moved was about 10% higher than Houston which is similar to Dallas. However, the drop in prices here has narrowed the difference. And they are both cheap compared to SF.

Economy much better right now in Dallas.

Dallas has better schools overall, but there are very good spots in the Atlanta area.

Both have rough traffic, but Atlanta is worse. And Atlanta's arterial road network is horrible.

Atlanta is a naturally beautiful city. Dallas is nice, but not as nice as Atlanta, but it is a little cleaner. Outdoor recreation opportunities are similar, although if you are into camping, the N. Georgia Mountains provide a more pleasant summer experience.

Social life depends totally on you. They're both big cities with lots of opportunities.

I second what someone else said about crime. It seems to be everywhere in Atlanta. In Dallas you are pretty safe if you stay out of certain areas. Maybe in Atlanta you have to go to north Alpharetta or Cherokee County, but in Dallas you don't have to go to Plano to feel safe.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:52 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,122,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I previously lived in Dallas and moved to Atlanta about 3 years ago from Houston. Dallas has much milder winters than what I have experienced in Atlanta. Dallas is much hotter in the summer. The phrase "Hotlanta" is a joke if you have lived in Texas. I think I got hot twice in my first two summers here. I find the summers here very pleasant. Both will be much warmer than San Francisco.

Cost of living is lower in Texas. The index when we moved was about 10% higher than Houston which is similar to Dallas. However, the drop in prices here has narrowed the difference. And they are both cheap compared to SF.

Dallas has better schools overall, but there are very good spots in the Atlanta area.

Both have rough traffic, but Atlanta is worse. And Atlanta's arterial road network is horrible.

Atlanta is a naturally beautiful city. Dallas is nice, but not as nice as Atlanta, but it is a little cleaner. Outdoor recreation opportunities are similar, although if you are into camping, the N. Georgia Mountains provide a more pleasant summer experience.

Social life depends totally on you. They're both big cities with lots of opportunities.

I second what someone else said about crime. It seems to be everywhere in Atlanta. In Dallas you are pretty safe if you stay out of certain areas. Maybe in Atlanta you have to go to north Alpharetta or Cherokee County, but in Dallas you don't have to go to Plano to feel safe.
Very good post. I completely agree with all of this.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 PM

606 posts, read 1,703,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

I think you're the first person to ever say that Atlanta summers are pleasant. You call high of 90+ every day with high humidity pleasant ? Fall is pleasant in Atlanta, not summers. Now in comparison to Texas summers might feel pleasant, but nobody in their right mind is going to say that Atlanta summers are pleasant.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,463,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
I think you're the first person to ever say that Atlanta summers are pleasant. You call high of 90+ every day with high humidity pleasant ? Fall is pleasant in Atlanta, not summers. Now in comparison to Texas summers might feel pleasant, but nobody in their right mind is going to say that Atlanta summers are pleasant.
These constant days of 90+ temperatures are not the norm. Summer in Atlanta is typically in the mid to upper 80s, with 87 or 88 being the norm in July and August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta