Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:37 PM

36 posts, read 164,331 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to plan a trip for myself, mom and daughter to Atlanta for 4 nights/days the first or second week of August. I have picked some things to do that will hopefully appeal to my 4 year old ( who will be 5 in Sept ).

I chose the Aquarium, Botanical Gardens, the Zoo and the Coca Cola place.
Any other suggestions for kid friendly places?

Also, we really don't want to rent a car as parking at the hotels is pretty outrageous. Can anyone suggest a 3-4 star hotel that is kid friendly, not to business oriented, and close to the attractions and within walking distance to restaurants?

I don't mind using cabs if the hotel is at least within 7 miles of the attractions. I am not even sure if any of those attractions are near each other. Also, I have seen several hotels that are close to the MARTA. Does the MARTA stop at any of the attractions I listed above?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 PM

725 posts, read 1,276,477 times
All of your attractions mentioned are within a 4 mile radius of each other.
The aquarium and the world of coke are both basicly in centinnial park. there are many hotels in that area but they are mostly business/convention oreinted, but i am sure you can find a good one if you read the reviews online.

Centinnial park is served by peachtree center marta station along the red/gold line. there are trains that make the run in about 20 minutes strait shot from ther airport (i asume you are flying).

The botanical gardens are in peidmont park which is a nice park in its own right and i would highley suggest going to the playground there after the garden. the park is about half a mile from midtown marta station which is also on the red/gold line.

The zoo is not served by marta rail but is only like 3 miles from centinnial park so a cab would work well for you.

I highly suggest looking at hotels near centinnial park.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:04 AM

513 posts, read 1,629,196 times
We have a four-year-old and basically do the things you mentioned in your OP (plus swimming, going out to eat, etc.). The only thing I could add to your list would be the puppet center:

Center for Puppetry Arts_Home

It's also w/in your area and worth checking out.

BTW, I didn't know this until last week, but the Botanical Gardens are great for little kids. We spent a couple of hours there and only saw half the grounds. Spent all our time in the kids' area. There is a water fountain to play in... bring a swimsuit!

Old 07-22-2011, 01:20 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,759,331 times
There are water fountains to play in when you go to Centenial Olympic Park (Aquarium and World of Coke) - bring a change of clothes as well.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:27 AM

10,739 posts, read 13,324,564 times
The Children's Museum is downtown a block or two away from the Coca Cola museum and Aquarium. My kids. When they were your child's age, LOVED it! It's a very interactive, hands-on type of place just for the little ones. I highly recommend that.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:48 AM

744 posts, read 2,475,867 times
If you haven't already done so , you might want to check out a site called Atlanta City Pass www.citypass.com/atlanta for some deals on tickets. Three of the places you mentioned are in thier ticket package deal. They also have information about Marta trains on thier site.

Last edited by go falcons; 07-22-2011 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 PM

43 posts, read 116,333 times
Before we moved here we visited with our then 2 year old (now 4) and stayed in Midtown at the Residence Inn. We walked to Piedmont Botanical Gardens and were only a short walk to the Marta for everything downtown. We did Coke, Aquarium, fountains at centennial, and Childrens Museum.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:30 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,759,331 times
I agree with movingtoAtlanta4, I was going to recommend Residence Inn. There is one on 10th and W Peachtree and one on 17th and Peachtree, not sure which one she stayed at. I am thinking 17th would be closer to the Atlanta Botanical Garden entrance.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:44 PM

36 posts, read 164,331 times
WOW, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the great information. I am so looking forward to visiting Atlanta and you have taken away a lot of stress with the information you all provided. Thanks a bunch.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:07 AM

43 posts, read 116,333 times
Yes we stayed at 17th and had a nice walk to botanical gardens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta