Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:50 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It's unfortunate that you got this warped view of Atlanta...

...and I don't have time right now, but other posters on here will show you how wonderfully urban-sophisticated Atlanta truly is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:25 PM

55 posts, read 162,705 times
Prob looking to rent a one bedroom apartment/duplex at first. The only requirement being hardwood floors.

I'd never really thought that much of Atlanta before but since I've been considering relocating to the South and doing some investigating it is intriguing me more and more. Like I said before, most of my experience in the city was on rare shopping excursions and my negative impression is probably due to the fact I'm not really attracted to the mallish, corporate commercial areas of a city. I'd really like a neighborhood with a lot of character and perhaps a quirky, offbeat charm.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:28 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
sandwiche - Come visit the city one weekend. So many great Intown neighborhoods with an older housing stock in mature neighborhoods. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwiche View Post
Prob looking to rent a one bedroom apartment/duplex at first. The only requirement being hardwood floors.

I'd never really thought that much of Atlanta before but since I've been considering relocating to the South and doing some investigating it is intriguing me more and more. Like I said before, most of my experience in the city was on rare shopping excursions and my negative impression is probably due to the fact I'm not really attracted to the mallish, corporate commercial areas of a city. I'd really like a neighborhood with a lot of character and perhaps a quirky, offbeat charm.
Atlanta's got plenty of areas that aren't corporate/mallish. I'm guessing when you were here you visited the Lenox Square and/or Peachtree Center/Centennial Olympic Park zones. Both are pretty sucky representations of Atlanta. You're smart to rent something before you buy, that way you can get a feel for what really suits you guys.

Some suggestions for areas in which to find a rental:

Midtown: Atlanta's traditional gayborhood, includes Piedmont Park (Atlanta's version of Central Park and home to the Pride Festival). Depending on where your apartment is, it offers up the most walkable lifestyle in Atlanta. The gay hotspots are the intersection of 10th Street and Piedmont Avenue, and the intersection of Piedmont Ave and Monroe Drive (Ansley Mall).

Virginia Highland/Morningside: Early 1900s streetcar communities (although the streetcars disappeared long ago), tons of bungalows and vintage apartment buildings, popular shopping/eating nodes along North Highland Avenue.

Inman Park and Candler Park: Inman Park is known for its beautiful Victorians, Candler Park is more bungalow. Each neighborhood has its own MARTA rail station, both have their own neighborhood commercial districts, and in between them is Little Five Points, Atlanta's counterculture mecca. There are a lot of indie shops here, and a newer shopping center opened up close by with big box shopping (Target, Kroger, Lowe's, Barnes and Noble, etc).

Poncey-Highland - in-between Candler/Inman Park and Virginia-Highland: sort of a micro-neighborhood, known as hipster central.

East Atlanta Village: known for its popular Village area, with nightspots (including well known gay bar Mary's), restaurants, indie shops, and plenty of gentrification. A little removed from the Midtown action in my opinion, but some prefer that.

Cabbagetown: one of my favorite neighborhoods, offers loft living in a huge restored cotton mill, cute worker's cottages in a variety of conditions, and a main drag (Carroll Street) that defines quirky.

Grant Park: near Cabbagetown, has Victorians that rival Grant Park, but known for being a little edgy, even after 20 years of gentrification.

Decatur: the Brooklyn to Midtown's Manhattan. Technically a suburb of Atlanta but feels like another intown neighborhood due to the connection of Ponce de Leon Avenue, a MARTA rail station in the courthouse square, and the hipness quotient. Very educated, liberal population in a laidback, small town environment.

There are more neighborhoods than this. Check out these sites to get your bearings and for more comprehensive info.

removed (they go to private realtor office sites - not allowed.)

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-26-2011 at 08:22 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 06:34 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
If there's one thing Atlanta has an abundance of, it's URBAN

Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 PM

You might be interested in this area, right on the Beltline which is under construction. Looks like Minneapolis is a biking city, so it could be right up your alley . Like I said before, Virginia Highland is a really popular, beautiful neighborhood.
link removed - not allowed

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-27-2011 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 PM

The Eastside Trail segment of the Beltline is under construction as we speak and will be open next year. The entire project will take a while, especially the transit portion, but it's happening now.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,217 times
Oh, yeah, when someone says "Beltline", I think of the transit portion, which is the bulk of the project. I realize that the Beltline includes related trails, but I just wanted to clarify for out-of-towners that living near the Beltine doesn't mean you'll be able to hop a light rail any time soon.

Best Regards,
Tina

Old 07-27-2011, 09:44 PM

136 posts, read 255,744 times
I would say live in East Lake. I remember growing up how East Lake was one of the first neighborhoods to "turn" and the start was due to gay singles and couples moving in and sprucing things up. I would think that the market is still there , and its so convenient, yet not so hustle and bustle. I nominate East Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta