U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:20 PM

876 posts, read 1,939,022 times

Advertisements

Good luck on your move. You did a lot of research and traveling it sounds like, I think you picked a nice area, (North Fulton) even if there are other good choices here. Also, thanks for the update for us City Data regulars, it sounds like a good decision to me.

(reading the thread)
Ouch, mrpanda, the water damage. Yes, most insurance companies do not cover damage like that unfortunately. I know you are new to the area, too and welcome to the North Atlanta area. I hope you are enjoying it so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:03 PM

183 posts, read 291,615 times
I guess heat tolerance is all relative to what your have experienced! Coming from temperate N CA, the heat and humidity here is quite different. But I agree, I'd rather be hot than bone chilling cold!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:55 AM

808 posts, read 2,902,806 times
There are severe weathers in the metro Atlanta area...earlier this spring there were tornadoes. Several people got killed in Midtown when a tree topped over on cars.

I was here when the snow storm hit and shut the whole city down for a week. I was one of the few people that went to work everyday. I was living in Dunwoody, just a few miles from work. Now that I'm in Cumming near West Forsyth HS, I will stay home when the next major snowstorm hits!

I'm more of a warm weather guy and I think the summer here has been great. The humidity here hasn't been too bad. Personally, I think the humidity up north is much worse. I'm waiting for the hot weather to come.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:05 AM

606 posts, read 1,743,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
the LONG Buffalo winters as well. We had one of the LONGEST winters ever and hardly had a spring. While I was in Florida on spring break in mid-April, my friends at home were getting hit with snow. I agree with EVERYTHING you said. It is a beautiful place, with friendly people and a growing city which excites me. Have a safe trip and I'll be there shortly!! S. Forsyth for me but Johns Creek is only a few miles down the road!
We also had a brutal winter in Georgia last winter. Nothing like up north of course, but many days with highs in the 30s and 40s, even days with high in the 20s. Close to 10 inches of snow which is 5 times the normal snow we usually get. Day after day after day of cloudy weather. Winters in Georgia can be quite depressing. Winter is by far the cloudiest time of year. If you want great winter weather, move to Florida.

Last edited by matt8325; 07-29-2011 at 06:19 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 06:09 AM

606 posts, read 1,743,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Come on down! We just moved to the S. Forsyth/Johns Creek area from Chicago a month ago and love it here. One bad thing that happened for me is that there was a huge storm that hit Chicago last Saturday and I had 6 feet of water in my townhome which i just rented out a month ago. It was a disaster as my insurance would not cover the bill where I had to come up with $20,000 from my own pocket. All my life I lived in Chicago I've never seen that kind of damage done in my town.

I feel safer living in the Johns Creek area from natural disasters and I am thankful to God that my family was in Atlanta and safe from all of this. California has the earthquakes, Florida has the tornadoes. And now, I don't think Chicago is a safe place to live either.

I lived in the northwest suburbs for 10 years before moving to Atlanta on June 30th, 2011.
Georgia is very prone to natural disasters actually. There was a devastating flood in September 2009, tornadoes can be very powerful at times ( there was a tornado that destroyed nearly an entire town in April), much more powerful than the ones they get in Florida, extreme drought, etc. Also, brutal heat from May to September, extreme humidity, etc. Summers seem to be getting hotter each year and winters seem to be getting colder. Keep in mind that if there is a snowstorm in Atlanta, you could be stuck at home for a week. They are horrible at taking care of the roads during a snow or icestorm. Don't be prepared to spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter either, unless you like to freeze your butt off. Most people here stay indoors from about November through March.

Last edited by matt8325; 07-29-2011 at 06:18 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 06:18 AM

738 posts, read 1,152,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycityfan View Post
All in all, I understand your concern and trust me, I know what I'm getting into. I appreciate your comments. The way I think of it though, I'd rather melt and die of dehydration than ever live through another dark, arctic winter. And it's not even close. It's far manageable for us to cool down than spend 6 months out of the year indoors.
This is definitely a matter of personal preference and tolerance. After all this time in the south, the summer heat is the one thing I still cannot tolerate in Atlanta. As a result, I end up spending 4 months indoors in the summer (June-Sept), which seems backwards to me. I love to garden, but can't bring myself to go out there and dig in the dirt when it's so hot and humid that just standing still makes me drip with sweat within 5 minutes. But I really enjoy the long spring and fall seasons and the easy winters...it's a tradeoff.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,443,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Georgia is very prone to natural disasters actually. There was a devastating flood in September 2009, tornadoes can be very powerful at times ( there was a tornado that destroyed nearly an entire town in April), much more powerful than the ones they get in Florida, extreme drought, etc. Also, brutal heat from May to September, extreme humidity, etc. Summers seem to be getting hotter each year and winters seem to be getting colder. Keep in mind that if there is a snowstorm in Atlanta, you could be stuck at home for a week. They are horrible at taking care of the roads during a snow or icestorm. Don't be prepared to spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter either, unless you like to freeze your butt off. Most people here stay indoors from about November through March.
Summers are longer and sometimes more humid here, but it's not really hotter than the midwest. It just stays that way for months and months here instead of a few days. But it makes me appreciate the cooler times of the year a lot more.

For someone from Chicago, it won't get that cold here in the wintertime, although I will add that I do consider the nighttime temps in the Atlanta metro to be "Winter cold" even by my Minnesota standards. It will get down into the teens F for at least a few nights each winter, adding a snap to the air which I personally find invigorating, and while it's true that many/most areas don't have good snow removal equipment and aren't really prepared for ice (sand isn't a good substitute for a good melting agent), the past year's week-long ice event was really not the norm for the metro.

Snow isn't dangerous here, but the freeze/thaw cycle after a snow can be as it results in ice-covered roadways. Ice events can be dealt with as long as you're careful, though, by minimize your driving if possible, and planning your driving routes to avoid steep shady hills and other areas prone to accumulation. Not always possible, I realize, but that's the exception.

It really isn't all that different here from the rest of the interior of the country in terms of tornados (which are normally of the F0-F2 variety in the metro on the rare occasion that they occur), floods, etc., except Atlanta gets a lot more rain. Roughly 50 inches a year, which is twice as much as the Twin Cities did, anyway. Not sure how Chicago compares.

Also, Atlanta can get hit with hurricane remnants, which normally result in lots of rain and 40-50mph winds. Not much different from a thunderstorm in most cases except that they'll come up from the south instead of from the west.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:49 AM

50 posts, read 115,138 times
Default Ready to Go!

I am very happy for all of you, but I will admit that the green-eyed monster is rearing its ugly head. I visited the area one weekend in June, and the entire family visited for a week earlier this month. Our timing must have been perfect, because we expected sweltering temps. To our surprise we actually dined outdoors a few evenings in Buckhead. It was absolutely lovely! The kids loved the Georgia Aquarium. We also visited the Dr. King Center and Memorial, Centennial Olympic Park, and World of Coke.

We have friends in Suwanee and Duluth, so I'm drawn to those areas, but I also love Johns Creek. Our hotel was in Buckhead, and my husband and I talked about getting a townhouse or condo there once the children are grown. We loved being able to walk to restaurants and shopping.

It's time to get serious about our exit strategy. I am already dreading another Chicago winter. It's dark by 4:20PM in December, and the sub-zero temps (and windchills anywhere from -30 to -70) have taken a toll. I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic are, so I know about 3H days (hazy, hot, humid). We like being self-employed and are contemplating moving ourselves down there. We already have a client in the South that allows my husband to work from home, and he flies there once a month. I would like to put the house on the market early next spring and be down there before school starts Aug. 2012. I'm going to get some moving estimates. Any ballpark figures on packing/moving from here to there. We have about 4600 sq ft of living space on 3 levels (incl finished basement).

My main challenge is individual healthcare for our family. If anyone has insight on the best players, then I would appreciate it. We currently have Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO Illinois.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 AM

55 posts, read 81,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWA2go View Post
I am very happy for all of you, but I will admit that the green-eyed monster is rearing its ugly head. I visited the area one weekend in June, and the entire family visited for a week earlier this month. Our timing must have been perfect, because we expected sweltering temps. To our surprise we actually dined outdoors a few evenings in Buckhead. It was absolutely lovely! The kids loved the Georgia Aquarium. We also visited the Dr. King Center and Memorial, Centennial Olympic Park, and World of Coke.

We have friends in Suwanee and Duluth, so I'm drawn to those areas, but I also love Johns Creek. Our hotel was in Buckhead, and my husband and I talked about getting a townhouse or condo there once the children are grown. We loved being able to walk to restaurants and shopping.

It's time to get serious about our exit strategy. I am already dreading another Chicago winter. It's dark by 4:20PM in December, and the sub-zero temps (and windchills anywhere from -30 to -70) have taken a toll. I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic are, so I know about 3H days (hazy, hot, humid). We like being self-employed and are contemplating moving ourselves down there. We already have a client in the South that allows my husband to work from home, and he flies there once a month. I would like to put the house on the market early next spring and be down there before school starts Aug. 2012. I'm going to get some moving estimates. Any ballpark figures on packing/moving from here to there. We have about 4600 sq ft of living space on 3 levels (incl finished basement).

My main challenge is individual healthcare for our family. If anyone has insight on the best players, then I would appreciate it. We currently have Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO Illinois.
Your comment about winter has been my longest running nightmare for the last 10 years. It actually made me gag. Sorry but, I could never hack dark, 30 below temperatures. Wasn't built for that type of life.

As for moving, your living space is about what I have - 4 bedroom home with full finished basement. It runs for about $4K doing the packing yourself withca large relocation moving company (I've used Atlas Van Lines in all my moves and I have nothing but praise).

Good luck with your plans.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 AM

50 posts, read 115,138 times
I've been here over 20 years, so I'm definitely ready to go. Wow, I'm surprised to hear $4k. That's great! Although I know we'll require some packing, so I'm sure the labor costs will add up. I also need to account for the cost of storage, temp housing, and lost wages since the self-employed don't have any paid time off.

I get so excited when I read these posts from all of you who have navigated successful moves. I haven't posted in a while, but I've been following the various threads. Buffalo, it's great that everything worked out with your move. Panda, so sorry about the flooding you experienced. It was a fierce storm, and some of our clients near O'Hare (mainly Park Ridge) had lots of water in their basements.

Wishing all of you continued success as you begin a new adventure. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta