Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:45 AM

197 posts, read 515,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Georgia is very prone to natural disasters actually. There was a devastating flood in September 2009, tornadoes can be very powerful at times ( there was a tornado that destroyed nearly an entire town in April), much more powerful than the ones they get in Florida, extreme drought, etc. Also, brutal heat from May to September, extreme humidity, etc. Summers seem to be getting hotter each year and winters seem to be getting colder. Keep in mind that if there is a snowstorm in Atlanta, you could be stuck at home for a week. They are horrible at taking care of the roads during a snow or icestorm. Don't be prepared to spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter either, unless you like to freeze your butt off. Most people here stay indoors from about November through March.
There are several things I don't agree with in your post but I strongly disagree with you here. Typically November and March are fairly mild down here. This past Thanksgiving (2010) it was like 75 degrees. I know that for a fact because we had our family Thanksgiving dinner outside and were in short sleeve shirts... December can be be a mixed month with some mild and cold days. January and February are the months that tend to be colder here. I am runner and I am outside running for most of the months you mention. I also have neighbors that jog or take their dogs on long walks during those months. There may be certain days that aren't conducive to being outside but you can't say that most people don't go outside for that entire block of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 11:13 AM

57 posts, read 103,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
There are several things I don't agree with in your post but I strongly disagree with you here. Typically November and March are fairly mild down here. This past Thanksgiving (2010) it was like 75 degrees. I know that for a fact because we had our family Thanksgiving dinner outside and were in short sleeve shirts... December can be be a mixed month with some mild and cold days. January and February are the months that tend to be colder here. I am runner and I am outside running for most of the months you mention. I also have neighbors that jog or take their dogs on long walks during those months. There may be certain days that aren't conducive to being outside but you can't say that most people don't go outside for that entire block of time.
75 on Thanksgiving Day? You've just summed up all my hopes and dreams in one statement.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycityfan View Post
75 on Thanksgiving Day? You've just summed up all my hopes and dreams in one statement.
I just looked it up and it was actually 73 degrees:

Atlanta, GA Weather History File for November 25th, 2010

Granted it's normally probably closer to around 60 or so on Thanksgiving, but we do have those 70 degree days down here that pop up around Winter time.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:43 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,574 times
Quote:
Also, brutal heat from May to September, extreme humidity, etc. Summers seem to be getting hotter each year and winters seem to be getting colder. Keep in mind that if there is a snowstorm in Atlanta, you could be stuck at home for a week. They are horrible at taking care of the roads during a snow or icestorm. Don't be prepared to spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter either, unless you like to freeze your butt off. Most people here stay indoors from about November through March.
Not in my family. We love hiking and working on projects outdoors, but in the summer we cower inside in the A/C and await the return of October when we can go back outside. I don't think the winter temps here (50 degrees on xmas = shorts weather for rollerblading) are enough to freeze anyone's butt off, but there are typically a few 30-degree-ish weeks in January. By mid-February it's time to go hike up Stone Mountain again.

I did get stuck at home for a week last winter when it snowed...it was awesome! We live in a very rural area on the back side of a mountain, and it's way at the bottom of the priority list for plowing. After several years of zero snow, it was fun to have some to play in for a change.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,397 times
Quote:
Sure there are a few days from November to March when it's nice and mild and you can go outside and maybe even wear shorts at times, but there are also many more days where it is cold and rainy and makes you want to stay inside. December was the coldest month last winter, and there really isn't a big difference between Dec, Jan, Feb in terms of temps. Last Thanksgiving the temperature was 73, so yeah there are days when it's mild, but it doesn't last for long. Just a couple days after Thanksgiving highs were back near 50. Btw, last Christmas the high was around 40 and the next day the high was around 30.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycityfan View Post
Don't let that fool you. It can just as easily be 45 degrees on Thanksgiving.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM

50 posts, read 132,445 times
Quote:
Don't let that fool you. It can just as easily be 45 degrees on Thanksgiving.
We've seen snow here a few times on Thanksgiving, so 45 degrees sounds positively toasty. My kids are ready to wear their shorts when the temp climbs above freezing and the sun is shining. When we visited Atlanta earlier this month, I expected lots of complaining about the heat and humidity, but they never mentioned it.

I still remember an 8-day stretch back in the 1990's when the temp was -34F with wind chills of -80F. Now that was cold!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Btw, last Christmas the high was around 40 and the next day the high was around 30.
Actually, the highs for 12/25/10 and 12/26/10 were 51.1F and 39.9F respectively. Have you ever lived in a cold weather climate? Because highs in the 50's are pretty darn good when you're used to highs in the single digits. I typically don't run when it gets below 50F and I did quite a bit of running this past winter so there must have been quite a few days where the high was at least in the 50s even though it was a colder winter than normal.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Actually, the highs for 12/25/10 and 12/26/10 were 51.1F and 39.9F respectively. Have you ever lived in a cold weather climate? Because highs in the 50's are pretty darn good when you're used to highs in the single digits. I typically don't run when it gets below 50F and I did quite a bit of running this past winter so there must have been quite a few days where the high was at least in the 50s even though it was a colder winter than normal.
No, the high on 12-25-10 was not 51. It snowed on 12-25-10 in Atlanta !! Btw, the average high last December was 47.6 and the average low was 29. So on a typical afternoon in Dec 2010 it was only in the 40s. Pretty darn chilly. There were 18 days where the high was in the 40s or lower, 11 days where the high was 45 or lower, 8 days where it was 40 or lower, an 6 days where the high was 37 or lower !! In January, there were 17 days when highs were in the 40s or lower. Really the only person who would think Atlanta has mild summers is someone who moved here from up north. There have been many people who moved here from California or Florida who think Atlanta winters are far from mild. If someone moves to Atlanta from Miami they will think Atlanta winter are brutal. If someone moves to Atlanta from Chicago they will think winters are balmy.

Last edited by matt8325; 07-29-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
No, the high on 12-25-10 was not 51. It snowed on 12-25-10 in Atlanta !! Btw, the average high last December was 47.6 and the average low was 29. So on a typical afternoon in Dec 2010 it was only in the 40s. Pretty darn chilly.
Yes, the high on 12-25-10 was 51.1F:

Atlanta, GA Weather History File for December 25th, 2010

It snowed the evening of 12-25 when the temperature cooled off to just below freezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta