U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:16 PM

603 posts, read 1,187,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
Yes, the high on 12-25-10 was 51.1F:

Atlanta, GA Weather History File for December 25th, 2010

It snowed the evening of 12-25 when the temperature cooled off to just below freezing.
That is inaccurate. Here is a better source for the weather in Atlanta on 12-25-10.

History : Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 07:39 AM

55 posts, read 73,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWA2go View Post
I am very happy for all of you, but I will admit that the green-eyed monster is rearing its ugly head. I visited the area one weekend in June, and the entire family visited for a week earlier this month. Our timing must have been perfect, because we expected sweltering temps. To our surprise we actually dined outdoors a few evenings in Buckhead. It was absolutely lovely! The kids loved the Georgia Aquarium. We also visited the Dr. King Center and Memorial, Centennial Olympic Park, and World of Coke.

We have friends in Suwanee and Duluth, so I'm drawn to those areas, but I also love Johns Creek. Our hotel was in Buckhead, and my husband and I talked about getting a townhouse or condo there once the children are grown. We loved being able to walk to restaurants and shopping.

It's time to get serious about our exit strategy. I am already dreading another Chicago winter. It's dark by 4:20PM in December, and the sub-zero temps (and windchills anywhere from -30 to -70) have taken a toll. I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic are, so I know about 3H days (hazy, hot, humid). We like being self-employed and are contemplating moving ourselves down there. We already have a client in the South that allows my husband to work from home, and he flies there once a month. I would like to put the house on the market early next spring and be down there before school starts Aug. 2012. I'm going to get some moving estimates. Any ballpark figures on packing/moving from here to there. We have about 4600 sq ft of living space on 3 levels (incl finished basement).

My main challenge is individual healthcare for our family. If anyone has insight on the best players, then I would appreciate it. We currently have Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO Illinois.
We just moved down to South Forsyth 2 weeks ago from Chicago suburbs. Love it so far! We moved basically because we wanted out of the disgusting weather, just like Windycity mentioned. My husband asked his boss about working remotely and after many discussions, his company agreed. We immediately put our house on the market in early April and sold it in 4 weeks in this horrible real estate market. Then we came down to Atlanta and looked at over 80 houses, and found one we love in a neighborhood we love. We paid for this move 100% out of pocket. And it was expensive, but so worth the money to us. We received three quotes from three major movers and the average was about $8,000. We had a 4 bedroom house, with a full finished basement, and 5 people in our family and probably about 3,400 sq ft of living space. So RWA2, you can make it happen too!

Regarding the weather in Chicago, it's not just the horrible winters for me and my husband, it's the spring that totally sucks. There really isn't even a spring. You'll get a nice day here and there, but overall it's so depressing. It can snow in MAY! And March is the worst month ever...cold, rainy, dark, dreary. I hear the spring and fall is beautiful here in Atlanta. And we still like the change of seasons, which is one of many reasons we would not want to live in Florida.

I wish it didn't, but the weather really plays into the quality of life for me and my husband. I say I wish it didn't because we left behind a WONDERFUL group of friends in Illinois that I've had since childhood. But they'll always be my friends and we hope to make some terrific friends here, too.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:39 PM

50 posts, read 83,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momdog View Post
We just moved down to South Forsyth 2 weeks ago from Chicago suburbs. Love it so far! We moved basically because we wanted out of the disgusting weather, just like Windycity mentioned. My husband asked his boss about working remotely and after many discussions, his company agreed. We immediately put our house on the market in early April and sold it in 4 weeks in this horrible real estate market. Then we came down to Atlanta and looked at over 80 houses, and found one we love in a neighborhood we love. We paid for this move 100% out of pocket. And it was expensive, but so worth the money to us. We received three quotes from three major movers and the average was about $8,000. We had a 4 bedroom house, with a full finished basement, and 5 people in our family and probably about 3,400 sq ft of living space. So RWA2, you can make it happen too!

Regarding the weather in Chicago, it's not just the horrible winters for me and my husband, it's the spring that totally sucks. There really isn't even a spring. You'll get a nice day here and there, but overall it's so depressing. It can snow in MAY! And March is the worst month ever...cold, rainy, dark, dreary. I hear the spring and fall is beautiful here in Atlanta. And we still like the change of seasons, which is one of many reasons we would not want to live in Florida.

I wish it didn't, but the weather really plays into the quality of life for me and my husband. I say I wish it didn't because we left behind a WONDERFUL group of friends in Illinois that I've had since childhood. But they'll always be my friends and we hope to make some terrific friends here, too.

Good luck!
I believe I recall reading about your adventure. Were you the one who had to hire a new moving company after Atlas canceled at the last minute? My husband hears all about the saga of my "friends without faces" (e.g., you, mrpanda, Buffalo, windycity, etc.). I'm so happy for all of you, and your self-made move is particularly inspiring to me.

We're planning to move ourselves, too, so the moving costs you provided are helpful. I'm currently researching individual healthcare plans, but it seems that I can't obtain any preliminary estimates without a GA address. (It's like this in every state.) Individual plans are not currently portable across state lines, so I'm experiencing some challenges in obtaining accurate pricing and details. Can't wait to learn how the underwriting process works down there.

Since we are self-employed, we've decided to live where we want, which is near our friends in Duluth/Suwanee. We accept that the fact that commutes will be rough, but perhaps we'll land some clients in the Alpharetta/Norcross/Duluth area eventually. We've got a lead on a prospective client in Buckhead, but they want lots of face-to-face time, so working from home would be the exception. Any idea how nightmarish the commute from Duluth to Buckhead would be? My husband has dealt with 90-min commutes here (2 - 2.5 hrs in snow, sometimes longer). Google maps says it's 23-25 miles from Sugarloaf to Lenox depending upon the route, but I need a better idea of travel times.

Our friends who moved down there love it, and they have met lots of good people, so I know you will, too. Their children love their new schools, and they love playing outdoors during winter. Think of us as we approach the gray, dark (and final) winter in Chicago. Cheers!

Old 07-30-2011, 07:38 PM

926 posts, read 1,586,193 times
RWA2go,

We moved from a 2500 sq/ft townhome in Chicago to a 3500 sq/ft home here in S. Forsyth. We went with Peterson Moving and negotiated the price down to $4500. I am very happy with my experience with Felipe, although i was a bit stressed since I haven't moved for 10 years and prepared for the worst... like not showing up at the day of the move lol. My wife and I really like it down here although we had a pretty bad flood situation with our townhome rental last week. I would definitely recommend selling your Chicago home before moving down. I regret that decision.

I am also self employeed and working out of my home the first year so i can relate to you regarding affordable medical insurance. I got approved for Covetry insurance and the premium came out better than my Blue Cross Blue Shield plan in Chicago. We just got our GA driver's license last week and will get the new GA plates next week. I can't wait to experience the weather here from Sept - Dec to appreciate the area even more. I just couldn't stand the ice cold winter weather in Chicago. I think that my mood is weather driven. I get so depressed when it gets so cold, but I'm so happy when the weather is in the 60s.

Please ask either MomDog or I about any questions that you may have about moving here as we both just experienced it. I definitely think that the lifestyle here is a great improvement from the lifestyle I had in Chicago. I think the relationships and new friendships you make are very precious and my wife and I are looking forward to making new life long friends in this area. Suprising my tenants of 5 years at our other home in Gwinnett took my wife and I out to dinner today and we had such a wonderful time. I would have never guessed that one of our first friends we would make in Atlanta would be our tenants. They were such wonderful people.

I don't know if you are believer or not, but we've decided to give Northpoint Community Church in Alpharetta a try for atleast a month. Their worship service is very unique and vibrant (just the way I like it : Very similar to newsong church in Irvine. ) ... something I haven't see in Chicago. good luck to you.. and I wish you the best.

Definitely let me know if you have any questions ok...

God bless.
Mr P

Last edited by mrpanda; 07-30-2011 at 08:08 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 PM

926 posts, read 1,586,193 times
RWA2go, I am not sure if you are the same person, but are you the one who currently lives in Naperville?

One major savings you will find living down here is property taxes. I think i pay 1/3 the property taxes i have been paying in Cook County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWA2go View Post
I am very happy for all of you, but I will admit that the green-eyed monster is rearing its ugly head. I visited the area one weekend in June, and the entire family visited for a week earlier this month. Our timing must have been perfect, because we expected sweltering temps. To our surprise we actually dined outdoors a few evenings in Buckhead. It was absolutely lovely! The kids loved the Georgia Aquarium. We also visited the Dr. King Center and Memorial, Centennial Olympic Park, and World of Coke.

We have friends in Suwanee and Duluth, so I'm drawn to those areas, but I also love Johns Creek. Our hotel was in Buckhead, and my husband and I talked about getting a townhouse or condo there once the children are grown. We loved being able to walk to restaurants and shopping.

It's time to get serious about our exit strategy. I am already dreading another Chicago winter. It's dark by 4:20PM in December, and the sub-zero temps (and windchills anywhere from -30 to -70) have taken a toll. I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic are, so I know about 3H days (hazy, hot, humid). We like being self-employed and are contemplating moving ourselves down there. We already have a client in the South that allows my husband to work from home, and he flies there once a month. I would like to put the house on the market early next spring and be down there before school starts Aug. 2012. I'm going to get some moving estimates. Any ballpark figures on packing/moving from here to there. We have about 4600 sq ft of living space on 3 levels (incl finished basement).

My main challenge is individual healthcare for our family. If anyone has insight on the best players, then I would appreciate it. We currently have Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO Illinois.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:24 PM

4,675 posts, read 5,567,527 times
^^ you may be paying 1/3 of the taxes you were paying in cook county. But you could vote 3x there. Forsyth will only let you vote once.

Just Kidding....

Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
^^ you may be paying 1/3 of the taxes you were paying in cook county. But you could vote 3x there. Forsyth will only let you vote once.

Just Kidding....
Hahaha that is funny!

Livinginbuffalo and Mr Panda - I am very excited and proud of myself...I got initiated into the Taco Mac Brewversity tonight. My card is safely tucked into my wallet ready to earn me that leather jacket or what ever the big prize is! LOL

Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 PM

RWA2 - I do not know about commute times, so I'm sorry I can't help you out there.

Mr Panda - we will be looking for a new church soon, too. Did you check out any in John's Creek? We'd like to keep the location of our church not too far from home...it's hard to get 5 people ready and out the door and on time on Sunday mornings!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 PM

408 posts, read 511,855 times
Default I'm a brewniversity member too. Love Taco Mac. Have you tried Five Guys yet?

So yummy. We are currently negotiating with a second buyer on our house. If this works out, I will be coming next week to start school on time. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:50 PM

4,675 posts, read 5,567,527 times
Duluth/Suwanee -> Buckhead will Not be a fun Rush Hour Drive, I85 starts to back up near GA316 merge, (and before). The I85/I285 (Spaghetti Junction) is not a fun area to be in. If you can go in a little late in the rush hour you will be ok, Nother option is to take MARTA from Doraville station, But by the time you get there, you might as well drive all the way. GRTA (Xpress GA - Routes) Has some rush hour bus that run there.

Georgia NaviGAtor NaviGAtor has some maping fucntions (I think if you look around that site there is past history avg times).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta