U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 07:55 PM

55 posts, read 126,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
So yummy. We are currently negotiating with a second buyer on our house. If this works out, I will be coming next week to start school on time. Keeping my fingers crossed!
I LOVE 5 Guys! So far that has been the one place that we've tried that beats out anything in Chicago (although they have a 5 Guys there too but I've never been to that location in IL).

I'm sure it will work out with your potential buyer! Good luck! Definitely let me know what happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 07:56 PM

955 posts, read 2,873,190 times
Wow 3 kids! .. we are struggling to get our two 16 month old boys under control. Momdog, give the new redeemer church in cumming (which is closer to you.) or Perimeter a try. We went to Northpoint in Alpharetta again but the church seems to be very seeker sensitive. My wife felt a little distracted with the concert like worship and she wasn't too keen on so many guest speakers preaching on Sunday who aren't pastors. So we will continue to search for a home church. Momdog, we are also looking for a church close by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momdog View Post
RWA2 - I do not know about commute times, so I'm sorry I can't help you out there.

Mr Panda - we will be looking for a new church soon, too. Did you check out any in John's Creek? We'd like to keep the location of our church not too far from home...it's hard to get 5 people ready and out the door and on time on Sunday mornings!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:52 PM

50 posts, read 115,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
RWA2go,

We moved from a 2500 sq/ft townhome in Chicago to a 3500 sq/ft home here in S. Forsyth. We went with Peterson Moving and negotiated the price down to $4500. I am very happy with my experience with Felipe, although i was a bit stressed since I haven't moved for 10 years and prepared for the worst... like not showing up at the day of the move lol. My wife and I really like it down here although we had a pretty bad flood situation with our townhome rental last week. I would definitely recommend selling your Chicago home before moving down. I regret that decision.

I am also self employeed and working out of my home the first year so i can relate to you regarding affordable medical insurance. I got approved for Covetry insurance and the premium came out better than my Blue Cross Blue Shield plan in Chicago. We just got our GA driver's license last week and will get the new GA plates next week. I can't wait to experience the weather here from Sept - Dec to appreciate the area even more. I just couldn't stand the ice cold winter weather in Chicago. I think that my mood is weather driven. I get so depressed when it gets so cold, but I'm so happy when the weather is in the 60s.

Please ask either MomDog or I about any questions that you may have about moving here as we both just experienced it. I definitely think that the lifestyle here is a great improvement from the lifestyle I had in Chicago. I think the relationships and new friendships you make are very precious and my wife and I are looking forward to making new life long friends in this area. Suprising my tenants of 5 years at our other home in Gwinnett took my wife and I out to dinner today and we had such a wonderful time. I would have never guessed that one of our first friends we would make in Atlanta would be our tenants. They were such wonderful people.

I don't know if you are believer or not, but we've decided to give Northpoint Community Church in Alpharetta a try for atleast a month. Their worship service is very unique and vibrant (just the way I like it : Very similar to newsong church in Irvine. ) ... something I haven't see in Chicago. good luck to you.. and I wish you the best.

Definitely let me know if you have any questions ok...

God bless.
Mr P
Yes, there was a big storm here the other weekend, and I'm sorry to hear about the flooding your Chicago property sustained. We would definitely sell our home prior to departing. We've been here awhile, so we should be able to price it competitively in this down market. I don't relish the idea of being a remote landlord, but we own some rental properties that are all currently occupied. Fortunately our tenants pay on time, but most are not the neatest folks. Selling them to an investor would be ideal since they are all rented, but I don't think the places would show well for someone interested in a home for themselves. We'll see how things progress on that front...

I will look into Coventry; thanks for the info. Obviously you've found them to have a good network of physicians for your family. BCBS/IL PPO isn't cheap, but the network of physicians is excellent, and the coverage has been good. Everyone in our area accepts it, which just wasn't the case with less expensive policies. I suppose I could have been willing to drive a distance to save some bucks, but I wasn't willing to do that because of my children.

Keep the updates coming! I'm anxious to hear about all of the happenings of my cyber buddies. I am living vicariously through all of you. Try not to sound so darn happy when we are freezing our toes off here during winter. Cheers!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
RWA2go, I am not sure if you are the same person, but are you the one who currently lives in Naperville?

One major savings you will find living down here is property taxes. I think i pay 1/3 the property taxes i have been paying in Cook County.
Yep, that's me. It's amazing how the property taxes continue to increase despite the falling value of homes around here. Oh well, the joys of residing in a broke state. I know things are tough all over, but a tax bill of almost $15k in a state that doesn't offer any breathtaking views of an ocean or mountain is ridiculous.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Duluth/Suwanee -> Buckhead will Not be a fun Rush Hour Drive, I85 starts to back up near GA316 merge, (and before). The I85/I285 (Spaghetti Junction) is not a fun area to be in. If you can go in a little late in the rush hour you will be ok, Nother option is to take MARTA from Doraville station, But by the time you get there, you might as well drive all the way. GRTA (Xpress GA - Routes) Has some rush hour bus that run there.

Georgia NaviGAtor NaviGAtor has some maping fucntions (I think if you look around that site there is past history avg times).
Thanks for the great info. This is what we assumed. Having faced hellish commutes here, my husband would prefer to depart earlier, rather than later. I will check out the links you provided and look into whether MARTA would be worth the trouble. Cheers!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:16 PM

455 posts, read 1,007,264 times
Default Yes, my husband hears about my friends without faces too on here. We are still

negotiating with the second buyer and I think it will get done but I called the principal at Sharon and she won't give us permission for my daughter to start school there without us being under contract so I'm not sure what we're going to do. I was quite devastated (tears and all) yesterday that she won't do it. We cannot find any temporary housing in the Sharon district and we KNOW we are going to buy in Laurel Springs so we got as close as we could for our temporary housing so I could drive her to school until we move but she said no. I don't think I should come early just to start her at Daves Elementary and then move her a month later. What do you all think?

I feel like I should just wait until we close here, put an offer in on something in Laurel and start her a month late. I just can't imagine starting her at one new school and then moving her to another soon after. She could also stay at Daves for the entire year but why do that? She is a smart girl and a good reader but not brilliant. I hate the idea of her missing a month of school. I just wish she would let her start there. My husband is going to call her again or make an appt to see her. I can't believe we're going to have to buy something just to get her in school instead of waiting to make sure we really want the house we're going to buy!

It's all very stressful and I'm beginning to unravel. 10 weeks of commuting back and forth for my husband is wearing on all of us.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM

55 posts, read 126,841 times
As another mom with young kids and a husband that can travel a lot, I feel your stress/pain. Take a deep breath, it will all work out. I would stay in Buffalo for the extra month and have your daughter start a little later at Sharon. At this young age, they are very resilient and that will be less stressful and make more sense than starting a new school down here then switching to another new school one month later. Plus then she'll really be the "new girl" and everyone will think she's cool and special and want to be friends with her! I met the principle and she seems pretty by the book/no nonsense, so I guess it doesn't surprise me that she won't let her start at Sharon. But maybe your husband can work some magic with her?! Hang in there....

Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 PM

55 posts, read 210,958 times
Default buffalo, i agree w/ momdog about

starting your daughter up there and then when you close she will easily fit in to her new class at sharon. i wish city data had a like button like fb!

Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM

RWA2go,

I think I can relate as we both own rental properties in Chicago. I have one SFR rental right next to Sugarloaf Country Club and another in Chicago. I am learning now how important it is to have your rental properties near by. From this experience i will only buy rental properties in my backyard where i can reach it with 30 min drive. The tenant in Duluth has been an absolute dream and we now have become good friends, but the one in Chicago is starting to become a nightmare. RWA2, if you can I would try to sell off your rental properties in Chicago before moving here I would highly recommend that. The high taxes in IL make it very difficult to have a substantial cash flow and if the tenant stops paying for whatever reason... it becomes more difficult to manage from here. Keep in mind that Johns Creek is almost an hour drive to ATL Aiport. I will need to fly back to check on the basement restoration i am also seeing hints of not paying rent. I am living a dream lifestyle here in Johns Creek while living a nightmare in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWA2go View Post
Yes, there was a big storm here the other weekend, and I'm sorry to hear about the flooding your Chicago property sustained. We would definitely sell our home prior to departing. We've been here awhile, so we should be able to price it competitively in this down market. I don't relish the idea of being a remote landlord, but we own some rental properties that are all currently occupied. Fortunately our tenants pay on time, but most are not the neatest folks. Selling them to an investor would be ideal since they are all rented, but I don't think the places would show well for someone interested in a home for themselves. We'll see how things progress on that front...

I will look into Coventry; thanks for the info. Obviously you've found them to have a good network of physicians for your family. BCBS/IL PPO isn't cheap, but the network of physicians is excellent, and the coverage has been good. Everyone in our area accepts it, which just wasn't the case with less expensive policies. I suppose I could have been willing to drive a distance to save some bucks, but I wasn't willing to do that because of my children.

Keep the updates coming! I'm anxious to hear about all of the happenings of my cyber buddies. I am living vicariously through all of you. Try not to sound so darn happy when we are freezing our toes off here during winter. Cheers!

Last edited by mrpanda; 08-02-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 PM

RWA2go.. you will love living in St. Marlo Country Club. This community has really exceeded my expectations. Once you leave the gate exits you are literally in Johns Creek. Your $15k annual property tax in Naperville will get you a $1.8 million dollar home in St. Marlo. Johns Creek is very similar to Naperville in many aspects except that JC is more Asianized which is now made of 23% Asians. I think you will adjust very easily here. Coming from a 4700 sq/ft home in Naperville, I am sure you and your hubby will be looking at some nice gated Country Clubs communties in S.Forsyth or Johns Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWA2go View Post
Yep, that's me. It's amazing how the property taxes continue to increase despite the falling value of homes around here. Oh well, the joys of residing in a broke state. I know things are tough all over, but a tax bill of almost $15k in a state that doesn't offer any breathtaking views of an ocean or mountain is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta