Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

From the L.A. Times:
Gregory Rodriguez: White flight — to the city - latimes.com

New census data reveal that Washington, where the population has been more than 50% black since the early 1960s, has lost its black majority. Likewise, due to a decline in the presence of blacks, Latinos and Asians, for the first time since the 1970s a majority of Manhattan's population is white. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, which prided itself on being overwhelmingly African American (remember Mayor C. Ray Nagin and his "chocolate city" speech?), has seen the percentage of black residents drop precipitously. Even Atlanta, long a stronghold for the African American middle class, is projected to lose its black majority this decade.
What are the implications for the ATL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:54 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
From the L.A. Times:
Gregory Rodriguez: White flight — to the city - latimes.com

New census data reveal that Washington, where the population has been more than 50% black since the early 1960s, has lost its black majority. Likewise, due to a decline in the presence of blacks, Latinos and Asians, for the first time since the 1970s a majority of Manhattan's population is white. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, which prided itself on being overwhelmingly African American (remember Mayor C. Ray Nagin and his "chocolate city" speech?), has seen the percentage of black residents drop precipitously. Even Atlanta, long a stronghold for the African American middle class, is projected to lose its black majority this decade.
What are the implications for the ATL?

Best line (the concluding sentence):

"But here's what to hope for in the midst of inexorable change: a way to transplant the benefits of the suburbs without undermining the essential complexities and contrasts of the city."

Let's hope.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Best line (the concluding sentence):

"But here's what to hope for in the midst of inexorable change: a way to transplant the benefits of the suburbs without undermining the essential complexities and contrasts of the city."
Good point, aries. I'm optimistic that things will stay about the same.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:22 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Great read. Thanks for posting the link, arjay57!

One of my favorite newspapers, btw.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:26 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Good point, aries. I'm optimistic that things will stay about the same.

I am usually an optimist about things, but I am wary about this.

My fear is that this will just be a "trading places"--instead of true socioeconomic integration and urban enrichment.

Wealthy, affluent urban core vs. Poor suburbs--and with way less services than one would find in the urban core/city.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Box

382 posts, read 661,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I am usually an optimist about things, but I am wary about this.

My fear is that this will just be a "trading places"--instead of true socioeconomic integration and urban enrichment.

Wealthy, affluent urban core vs. Poor suburbs--and with way less services than one would find in the urban core/city.
I agree with you. What's the use in improving Atlanta as a city, if the people who live there are just sent somewhere else, and the people who have been largely affluent for the most part just move from the suburbs to the city?

Old 07-31-2011, 11:57 AM

Suburbanites are not going to be happy to find themselves stuck with a bunch of expenses for the poor that are normally covered by taxpayers in the city proper.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:55 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
The services won't be provided -- they already aren't outside of Fulton/Atlanta and DeKalb. (Perhaps Clayton is an exception.)

You can be poor and live in Cobb or Gwinnett, but you can't be pooooor, if you understand the difference.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:33 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Quote:
Suburbanites are not going to be happy to find themselves stuck with a bunch of expenses for the poor that are normally covered by taxpayers in the city proper.
This used to drive me crazy when I worked in social services. Many of the poor live out in the hinterlands and there were simply no services out there for them and no will to provide them. Transportation was a nightmare and any kind of mental health counseling, drug rehab or anything else was simply nonexistent. And this was in a large primarily rural county. I can't imagine what it will be like around here. As I understand it, this is pretty much the way it is in Europe. The well to do live in the cities with poor people exiled out to the suburbs with absolutely no services whatever. I suspect that's the way we're headed in this country.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:44 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
As I understand it, this is pretty much the way it is in Europe. The well to do live in the cities with poor people exiled out to the suburbs with absolutely no services whatever. I suspect that's the way we're headed in this country.
Yep, that looks like the way it's turning out. The poor are increasingly being relegated to places with very little mobility, while cities (at least some cities) will have thriving centers.

Still, with the way America is laid out, much/most of the wealth is always going to be suburban. I think there will still be plenty of great suburbs, but the main difference is we'll have lots of dismal ones as well (in sharp contrast to, say, 1990).

There is a massive list of pros and cons associated with this process, of course, and we'll probably not even fully understand it for at least a couple more decades. But things are sure changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta