U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,566 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am relocating with wife and 2 kids from Fredericksburg VA. I had a 2-hour commute to DC one-way. I lived in Jersey City, NJ and commuted to Queens, NY while in school. No stranger to commuting.

My wife landed job in Alpharetta, and we woud prefer to live in Alpharetta for the school quality and etc. I am transferring with my company that is within short walking distance of Arts Center MARTA station. How much time am I looking at in commute time? Is MARTA bus/rail transpo. reliable year-round, especially in the winter? Everyone says the commute would be crazy, but it seems like they are speaking from a driver perspective and not a public transpo perspective. Are there other, better commuting options? Thank you all in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 11:56 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,441,239 times
Was the "crazy commute" comment referring to driving the entire way? If you take MARTA, the commute would be quite pleasant by Atlanta standards.

You just drive to the North Springs Station and then you can ride the train down to Arts Center. If you click on the "Travel Time" button here you will see that it's about a 21-minute train ride. Your drive time would of course depend on exactly where in Alpharetta you will live.

I can't imagine this would take more than an hour total time on an average day.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:24 AM

3,263 posts, read 4,678,134 times
Yeah, this commute isn't that bad once you factor that your time spent on the train can be semi-productive (if nothing more than just reading a book). The red line only runs every 15 minutes, so I'm afraid you'll have to plan what time you get to the station. Timewise and costwise, it's probably going to be close to a wash between train and car, maybe slightly better on train for each regard.

Arts Center is a major MARTA station--it's quite normal to get off there and walk to one of the office towers. Riding south from North Springs is about as "white collar" a crowd as you'll get on MARTA. It's going to be largely other people commuting to office jobs and service jobs, and there shouldn't be much concern safety-wise (I say this because your neighbors may try to dissuade you). In winter, MARTA is probably more reliable than the roads.

The main issue is if something happens on MARTA, namely a person jumping/falling onto the track, it can mess up the whole system. I guess that's basically the same thing on any transit system.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:41 AM

188 posts, read 609,172 times
I have been living in Alpharetta and commuting to Arts Center Train Station for the past 3 years.

I park my car @ winward park and ride and take bus 143 to North Springs and then take the train from there to Arts Center train station. 143 bus runs every 20 minutes and Train departs every 15 minutes from North springs station.

Commute times
Door to Door is about 60 minutes if you start @ Alpharetta before 7:30AM.
Door to Door would be ~ 75 approx if after 7:30AM.

Above is assuming it takes 5-10 minutes to drive from your home to winward park and ride. IMO best clock time would be to take 7:10 bus (Route 143) which reaches NS station around 7:34 and then the train starts @ 7:39 which would land you @ Arts Center by 8:00AM.

I get subsidized MARTA pass ( $35/month) and believe me it saves me a lot of money.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM

368 posts, read 429,721 times
Another option could be an Xpress bus, run by the Georgia Regional Transit Authority (GRTA). Depending on where you live in Alpharetta, you could use route 400 or 408.
More info here:
Xpress GA - System Map

Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM

183 posts, read 292,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pellur View Post
I park my car @ winward park and ride and take bus 143 to North Springs and then take the train from there to Arts Center train station. 143 bus runs every 20 minutes and Train departs every 15 minutes from North springs station.
Depending on where in ALpharetta you will live, another park and ride option (if you haven't already found out) is the Mansell lot.

My husband uses the Windward park n ride, and drives to the North Spring station (where the parking is also FREE!) whenever he needs to get to MARTA during non commute hours. The park n ride bus schedule spaces out a bit during those hours.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or