Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:35 PM

88 posts, read 304,221 times

Advertisements

We were originally looking to purchase a home in the next few months but due to some changes on the job front and timing with school etc. We have to move to GA sooner than planned and b/c of this we'll have to rent.

We currently reside in an AMLI managed property in IL. It's a very nice property, we've had minimal complaints about mgmt (once or twice they haven't met their stated 48 hour time frame for maintenance but once we called to notify them they come immediately- although unappologetically considering we pay $1300+ for monthly rent). Other than that which is good in comparisson to where I lived before - we like the community as a whole.

Because we have to move immediately we're hoping to transfer our lease to an Amli managed community in GA. We were looking at the Amli in Suwanee but when reviewing the ratings on apartment ratings website it got mostly horrid reviews. Not to say that this is the holy grail- I've moved into a place w/ not so good reviews but saw it for myself and "stepped out" and the experience has been more than tolerable but this is different. We'll be in a new state, new environment - everything so to be able to be at home and it really feel like home I want all my ducks in a row.

With that said if anyone lives at the Amli located here 4021 McGinnis Ferry Road Suwanee, GA 30024 - please, please, please give your honest opinion of the living conditions here. Spare no detail if your time permits and thanks in advance.

Additionally we're looking at the Amli's in Alpharetta so any input on those would be welcomed (my fiance's job will be here but we think our home purchase will be in an area like Suwanee, Grayson, Buford etc. only b/c I don't think we can afford Alpharetta yet - our budget is $200k for a home).

Looking for your input/help - thanking you in advance....Iesha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 05:40 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,565 times
I don't live in AMLI Suwanee, but it is in a nice area. There should not be much crime, as it is in the actual city limits of Suwanee, so I would think that it would be safe. You could always call the Suwanee police department to double check about crime. The apartments also aren't that old, so that may speak to any maintenance issues. As far as dealing with management, I wouldn't have any idea.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:59 PM

Thanks OhioNative - I can't say that my concern is with crime - not that I don't care but b/c from reading the posts from Suwanee that just really hasn't been a "hot topic" Instead, what concerns me is what the residents/former residents are saying with regard to reviews on apartmentratings.com Here are a few snippets that will give you an idea of the cause for my concern:
From apartmentratings website
When I moved into my apartment a few weeks ago, I was greated by roaches. I was disgusted. They have been spraying weekly but I still see them. The orkin man always comes with a can of bug spray. Is ... more

The aparmtents are not kept up well it is unlivable conditions. The buildings need to be painted and kept clean because there are spider webbs in the breeze way dog owners do not clean up after there pet. There are ...

As a renter by choice that has lived in Amli apartments in many different places, the McGinnis Ferry complex unfortunately puts a black mark on the otherwise superior Amli brand. Never before have I ever had an issue with an ...

Don't get me wrong, like I said there aren't a lot of reviews.....hence, my reason for posting here. Another reason is that the good reviews are so gleamingly perfect that I tend to think it's management posting the review but the dates are so few and far between that one can't make an informed decision and clearly it won't be any better if I went to view an apartment - outside of actually going and interviewing residents as I see them (which I can't, but trust me I would) I'll have to rely on the hopes that I'll get some responses from the city-data readers.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futrMrsJ View Post
Don't get me wrong, like I said there aren't a lot of reviews.....hence, my reason for posting here. Another reason is that the good reviews are so gleamingly perfect that I tend to think it's management posting the review .
The thing about apartmentratings is that when someone is really ticked off with a place, they're going to make sure and write whatever they can to damage their reputation. Sometimes it's a legit complaint, other times the renter is the actual problem (nutcase). And yes, it's well known that sometimes management teams write those "glowing" reviews, too. Use an observant eye - if someone is just off the wall mad about something, or, they're just a bit too mushy nice about it, you can usually spot that they're faking it or overdoing it.

But, that site CAN give you good insight if you see a lot of normal complaints about the same issues from a variety of people - then you can get a feel for what the weaknesses are in that community. It doesn't specifically help you in this instance, but I just wanted to comment on it for others who may use the site.

Now, I do not live in nor have I known anyone who has lived in an Amli property. But I've watched these boards for quite a while, as well as a couple of other similar boards by realtors, and I've personally never seen anything negative written about them. That doesn't mean there aren't any drawbacks or problems - I just haven't seen any blurbs about them at all (bad OR good) in the forums.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:28 PM

17 posts, read 59,980 times
I currently live at the AMLI community at Milton Park, Alpharetta. I have been here since June 28th, and have had no major issues so far. As others have mentioned, you can't always go by the ratings on the internet, because most of the time people only write a review when they want to complain, not to compliment the place

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me. But, I would say you are fine in moving there. My boyfriend also resides at the AMLI community in Kennesaw, and his apartment is very nice, as well. I have lived in many complexes the last few years, and I'm satisfied so far with my experience. You could always sign a short term lease just in case you don't like it, I considered that and it was going to cost an extra $60 a month in rent.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the advice atlantagreg and jrsygrl!
I became hesitant b/c the reviews were so far and few between time - and not many to say hey this is the same complaint over and over again. But at the same time there didn't appear to be any honest good reviews either.
The good thing is that you jrsygrl aren't having any issues you feel you have to tell the world about or warn others plus your bf is also in an Amli community. That puts me a bit at ease however I'd still like to hear from someone from that specific community.
Also b/c I know ATLgreg has been around the forum b/c I recognize his name - that helps a lot too.
At this point, I'm kinda glad to hear that not all of the Amli managed properties in GA are going to hell in a hand basket - your community was one that we'd considered as well. So thanks for sharing your opinion with me.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:15 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,034 times
I also live at AMLI at Milton Park in Alpharetta. I have been here since Aug 2006 and love it. The maintanance requests are fulfilled quickly, and the apts themselves are very nice (my particular unit is only 3 yrs old). The girls in the leasing office are really friendly too. They recently offered me a 6 month extension of my lease at the same rate- worked out great for me.

Obviously this probably doesn't mean much for the Suwanee location but just wanted to give you my personal experience with AMLI.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:03 PM

Go Blue- thanks for your response.
Actually that does help and your maintenance statement made me remember to ask if they have the 48 hour maintenance gurantee- here, they guarantee that your svc. request will be handled within 48 hours or they'll start giving you money back/money off the next month's rent.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:31 AM

79 posts, read 416,252 times
Default We're there now...

We're living at Amli Suwanee temporarily right now. It's fine. The appliances are all really outdated, but otherwise it's quiet, feels very safe, and the residents are nice.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 PM

Philagirl- I feel as if I've hit the jackpot I think we can deal with outdated appliances temporarily as well. Good to hear that it's a safe and friendly community!

Thx so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta