U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 PM
 
876 posts, read 1,056,766 times
Reputation: 243
I don't remember many of the details about how Atlanta scored the games in '90 or '91, (forget now when the decision was made), but there was definitely a lot of politics involved as anyone who has been around a while can imagine. Billy Payne had a big part in it for sure.

Overall, I am glad the games came to Atlanta but in hindsight there have been some disappointments for me personally. I wish metro Atlanta did not grow so fast population-wise. There was also a lot of wild speculation going on with real estate as we all know now (15 years hindsight). The Olympics did spur a lot of attention for Atlanta: good and bad.

On a few good sides of things, we have some great legacy landmarks built for the games: Turner Field, Olympic Park, dorms for GA Tech and GSU, etc.

I also attended some of the games and did enjoy that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 PM
 
6,245 posts, read 3,595,489 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
I don't know about that. Property in Midtown and Buckhead is holding up OK. Or at least, it has held up much better than other parts of the metro. I'd be willing to wager that in 10 years, we'll look back at this period as one where "Intown" Atlanta was very undersupplied in terms of high density housing.

It's the deep exurban areas where the dramatic overbuilding occurred. There are some subdivisions 30-40 miles away from the city core where the homes will probably never be sold. McMansions are going the way of the dodo.

But for what it's worth, I'm not totally convinced that Atlanta's housing bust had all that much to do with the Olympics. We didn't really start overbuilding till the late '90s and early '00s; after the Olympics had already taken place. And it's not like Atlanta was the only place this happened --- virtually every major metro area that has been growing over the past few decades had issues.
I remember a lot press about condos going on auction cheap and a tower condo in Buckhead that was a black tower at night because it was practically empty. I'm guessing developers were hoping all those northern transplants would want to continue condo living as if Atlanta was Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:34 PM
 
6,245 posts, read 3,595,489 times
Reputation: 1509
I heard an interesting comment on the radio this morning. One announcer suggested that Atlanta lost its own vibe after 1992 when Atlanta won the games. Atlanta had its own style of nightlife but after the games, people came in from around the country and pretty much drowned out the Atlanta character. If so, maybe Atlanta-ness was the casualty of the Olympic games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 PM
 
357 posts, read 347,586 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I heard an interesting comment on the radio this morning. One announcer suggested that Atlanta lost its own vibe after 1992 when Atlanta won the games. Atlanta had its own style of nightlife but after the games, people came in from around the country and pretty much drowned out the Atlanta character. If so, maybe Atlanta-ness was the casualty of the Olympic games?
it's probably true. I wasnt old enough to remember the vibe chaning in 92, but certainly ATL 2011 is completely different than the atlanta in the 1990's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:56 PM
 
218 posts, read 277,814 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I heard an interesting comment on the radio this morning. One announcer suggested that Atlanta lost its own vibe after 1992 when Atlanta won the games. Atlanta had its own style of nightlife but after the games, people came in from around the country and pretty much drowned out the Atlanta character. If so, maybe Atlanta-ness was the casualty of the Olympic games?
If a city loses its character because of people moving in, I'm not sure it had much character to being with That being said, Atlanta seems to be constantly shifting; every 20-years the city seems to try and reinvent itself. IMHO, Atlanta has plenty of character and it's made stronger by the people moving in; the people who recognize Atlanta's value and embrace what makes her unique. It's the people who tear everything down to build crap that can be found anywhere in the US that are doing more harm to Atlanta's character.

As for the Olympics; well, look at any city that has had them - the Games generally do not have the kind of long-lasting positive effects that the citizens expect (or are promised). There is a great academic paper on the subject, but I am too lazy to search for it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 06:38 PM
 
6,245 posts, read 3,595,489 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
If a city loses its character because of people moving in, I'm not sure it had much character to being with That being said, Atlanta seems to be constantly shifting; every 20-years the city seems to try and reinvent itself. IMHO, Atlanta has plenty of character and it's made stronger by the people moving in; the people who recognize Atlanta's value and embrace what makes her unique. It's the people who tear everything down to build crap that can be found anywhere in the US that are doing more harm to Atlanta's character.
But between 1990 and today, Atlanta metro went from 3.3 million to 5.3 million. Some were born here but a lot moved here. That's a lot absorb, and in the relatively short time span, they won't fully integrate into Atlanta's culture.

I don't know if it coincidental or not, but I've noticed a lot of horn honking during traffic tie-ups. I don't remember that behavior in the past as most Atlantans know that honking your horn won't help. I'm guessing that is from other parts of the country.

Quote:
As for the Olympics; well, look at any city that has had them - the Games generally do not have the kind of long-lasting positive effects that the citizens expect (or are promised). There is a great academic paper on the subject, but I am too lazy to search for it right now.
For Atlanta, I think it was mostly legitimacy as it is viewed as a nouveau riche among the world cities. Centennial Park was probably an attempt by Atlanta to save face as it was generally thought that Barcelona's Olympic atmosphere was excellent. I was surprised how fast the idea for the Park appeared and the money to do it found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Avery Ranch, Austin, TX
5,050 posts, read 5,718,290 times
Reputation: 1879
It's too bad the Olympic Tennis Center wasn't built near Windward as was proposed. Could'a been a con-ten-da! Has it been razed yet?


Saving Olympic tennis stadium in Stone Mountain costly, study shows *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 AM
 
6,245 posts, read 3,595,489 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
It's too bad the Olympic Tennis Center wasn't built near Windward as was proposed. Could'a been a con-ten-da! Has it been razed yet?


Saving Olympic tennis stadium in Stone Mountain costly, study shows *| ajc.com
I think Atlanta tried to entice the US Open to move from NYC to make use of that Tennis facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC
Revitalizing the 1996 Olympic tennis stadium in Stone Mountain would bring in millions of dollars in economic development and reverse declining property values along the U.S. 78 corridor in Gwinnett County. But it could come at a cost of up to $45 million.
You'd think this would have already have resulted or were planners sitting on their hands all these years? Probably would have been better to have built it at Georgia Tech. GT could have put it to good use and be a good location for NCAA championships. GT's women's tennis team won the national championship a few years ago. The state could have had two perennial tennis powers in UGA and GT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:00 AM
 
6,245 posts, read 3,595,489 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
It's the deep exurban areas where the dramatic overbuilding occurred. There are some subdivisions 30-40 miles away from the city core where the homes will probably never be sold. McMansions are going the way of the dodo.
I don't see a problem with the "McMansions". They're probably out because of the economy and burst housing bubble, but not extinct. The trend should renew again unless our past prosperity is a long-term casualty. In which case, in-town condos will be a casualty as well as they are expensive. McMansions were sort of a compromise in order to have a large home but with a much closer commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 AM
JPD
 
7,440 posts, read 7,378,023 times
Reputation: 3317
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I don't see a problem with the "McMansions". They're probably out because of the economy and burst housing bubble, but not extinct.
They're not extinct, but now they are built to look like oversized bungalows. Or as I like to call them McBungshions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top