Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 AM

10 posts, read 27,016 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Conyers and commute to work in Dunwoody but it is KILLING me. I really think I am going to fall asleep on my commute because it is so damn long and I can't have that happen.

I am trying to move to the Smyrna/Vinings area. Vinings may be way above my budget because I am a single mother and have to factor in daycare cost, which is roughly $550. I can only afford to spend about $600 for a 2BR or large 1 BR. I have a 2 year old so I am also not trying to move to a housing project either. I don't need luxury but safety and relatively pest-free. I see a lot of affordable apartments on Franklin Rd but I have heard that it is not a great area. Are all those apts a bad idea? If anyone rents in Smyrna and can recommend somewhere please feel free to do so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 10:03 AM

562 posts, read 1,789,953 times
Why not move to Dunwoody or Sady Springs if you work there? Why continue to make your commute 30 mins from Smyrna to Dunwoody?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 AM

36 posts, read 106,330 times
Smyrna to Dunwoody is about a 30 minute commute--and that is without rush hour traffic. From Vinings, it only takes about 15 minutes, but I can't think of an apartment complex that would be within your budget. Franklin Road is a real shady area, especially since you have a child to look after. Have you tried contacting ProMove? They are a company that helps people find apartments based on their budget and the amenities they need.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Thank you all for the feedback.

I am willing to up my budget because from what I have seen in Smyrna... let's just say I realize now I have to pay more. I called The Columns at Akers Mill and she quoted me 715 for a 2/2 but I remembered that that was the property with all the hills and bad reviews about plumbing and being stuck in winter. Is there anywhere that anyone can recommend under 800?

The reason I am leaning more towards Vinings is because my daughter's dad lives in Cobb and will be able to help get her from daycare which will keep my daycare costs at 550.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
I live in Smyrna and it takes me as little as 15 minutes to 30 minutes to get to Dunwoody depending on traffic, time of day and where in Dunwoody I need to get to (I am about 11 mile from Ashford Dunwoody Road).

Franklin Road is not my favorite and to the best of my knowledge it is Marietta not Smyrna. There are definitely apartments off of Spring Road that would be in your budget but I don't know how safe or nice they are. You might want to look off of South Cobb Drive as well. This will be a bit further west but give you more options and potentially better schools

Old 08-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Thanks Lori... checking now.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:06 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
lol what did you see in Smyrna that was so bad? I'd look at either The Village at Lake Park or Jasmine Woodlands. Both in Smyrna, neither are hood and botth are affordable. Right off of Spring Rd on Village Parkway.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:25 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,029 times
Check Craigslist. Might be able to rent a small home or condo from an individual for the price.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
lol what did you see in Smyrna that was so bad? I'd look at either The Village at Lake Park or Jasmine Woodlands. Both in Smyrna, neither are hood and botth are affordable. Right off of Spring Rd on Village Parkway.

Thank you so much.

Village at Lake Park is where I initially wanted to move (love all their amazing amenities), I have been watching their pricing... when I called today about a 1BR I was quoted an 800+ price. At this point, my max is 800 period. I will only be in an apartment for a year so I can handle a 1BR for just myself and her since the amenities are so awesome. The unit I saw a few weeks ago was older but decent enough. I am hoping to get their larger 1BR or a smaller 2BR for under 800.

Jasmine Woodlands was really nice; spacious, upgrades and seemingly quiet. When I viewed today she quoted me at $915. I was checking online a few minutes ago and saw the same apt for $690 so I requested an online hold and will be calling them as soon as they open tomorrow.

As far as the bad apples; Stone Ridge at Vinings was falling apart while I was viewing, Carriage House and Centerview Terrace both were a little too rough for me. I was going to check out Wyndcliffe Galleria and Mission Galleria but read some scary reviews so I passed. I usually don't base my entire decision on the reviews but when everyone says the same thing or you read about someone being murdered on the property, you kinda have to take that seriously.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
Check Craigslist. Might be able to rent a small home or condo from an individual for the price.
Thank you GCPA

I have considered that route and have been checking. As of right now all I am finding are postings from Wyndcliffe and Stone Ridge about all ther "awesome" deals... smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta